• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hill Church, Sutton Coldfield

Bojalu

master brummie
I have a marriage certificate dated 1858 .
Bride and Groom married at Hill Church , Sutton Coldfield.

I have not found a Hill Church, Could it be Holy Trinity?

If this helps marriage certificate states in presence of Thomas Langley Clerk of Hill Church.

I seem to remember someone putting an old picture on the forum of a cobbled, hilly street with a raised pavement and rails to the side and a church at the top - perhaps it is this church - but I don't know the name of the church - is Holy trinity on a slight hill?

Bojalu, it could be the St James Church on Mere Green Road- when it was built, it ws in the area of Sutton known as Hill, part of Holy Trinity parish.
There is a web site for the church, link below
https://www.stjameshill.org/page9.htm

The other possibility but less likely is St Peters, which is on Maney Hill Road, but think its more likely to be St James.
Sue

Last edited:
I only know from looking at an exhibition held in Sutton when I was a teenager, showing the churches past and present in Sutton, for some reason it stuck. Mom and dad married at St Peters which is why I knew that one. Find hurch history quite fascinating.
Sue

I think you are right Sue - I have found several mentions in the old newspapers for St James's, Hill, Sutton Coldfield

Bojalu, it could be the St James Church on Mere Green Road- when it was built, it ws in the area of Sutton known as Hill, part of Holy Trinity parish.
There is a web site for the church, link below
https://www.stjameshill.org/page9.htm

The other possibility but less likely is St Peters, which is on Maney Hill Road, but think its more likely to be St James.
Sue

I'm sure it is St James too HERE

and Hill HERE the church is shown on the map at the bottom, just above the letter 'R' in Mere Green.

Funny how some things stick in your memory isn't it. I like Church History too - maybe because they are so interlinked with family research.

Hi All,
Thank you for your input. Fresh eyes were needed. It is looking like St James, Hill.
The marriage certificate heading only stated Hill Church , Sutton Coldfield.

Bo

Back