• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Highgate Road the former B.C.T. Tram and Bus Garage

horsencart

master brummie
I managed to get a photo of the inside of the former Highgate Road B.C.T. Tram and Bus garage they are at

https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p54659450.html
and
https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p54659451.html

As you look at the first photo to the left you will see a set of steel steps these are thought to have lead to the staff canteen, or certainly offices of some sort?, as it overlooks the ground floor, this would have worked well till the garage was taken over by the buses, this would have caused problems in the canteen with the smoke and fumes from the buses the trams would not have given off fumes,

It has been said that similar problem was was had at Coventry Road (Arthur St) in that the staff canteen was on the upper floor and that it was not a problem when the trams and trolley buses were there, but came the day and the buses arrived it soon became a problem for those trying to eat and drink tea in the canteen,

On the floor of Highgate tram and bus garage you may see what looks like the original tram tracks having looked at the original I am not certain that the tracks are still there or that what I can see is a coating of concrete overr the tram tracks or that the tracks were robbed out I would say that it would have cost to much to rip out the track out and recover the floor so I think that the fllor in the photo is the original floor?

I cannot see anthing else that remains of B.C.T.

Hi. BammoT. I expect you have seen this photo before of Highgate Road garage, bombed in Nov. 1940.

50 years ago my mate Arthur Wiseman and I discovered loads of previously windborne old bus and tram tickets in the ventilation grids in the walls of Highgate Road Garage. We painstakingly extractracted them I still have mine. Some are the old 'geograhical' Bell Punch type, which makes them damned old!
Ted

My research is linked to an employee of BCT who worked on the trams. Are there any old photos - pre 1926if possible that I could put together to make an album?

A photo of the depot, when it was still operational.

Phil

13/01/2012. I don't remember if I put the tram or bus photo up in my original post so I have put the 2 up now.

SparkbrookHighgateRdTramDepot.jpg

SparkbrookHighgateRdDepot.jpg

My research is linked to an employee of BCT who worked on the trams. Are there any old photos - pre 1926if possible that I could put together to make an album?

Have you tried The Transport Museum at Wythall https://www.bammot.org.uk/

I was there this morning and filmed the garage, now the problem is as yet I have not seen the the film so depending on how bad the film is I may or I may not put the film on YouTube.

Thanks for posting the photo of Highgate Road, I am researching a book on my late father who was a bus driver at that depot in the late 50's, do you know where I could look for any old photos relating to the garage.

Regards

Brian

Back