• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Higham

claire-brum71

master brummie
1901 Census shows my gt Grandmother Beatrice Higham born Birmingham aged 8 living Cheapside with her Parents John 1859 and Phoebe born 1859 (Brettell Jane??Worcs) with sister Emily 1895 other siblings include John 1878, Henry 1880-1883, Emily 1883, now there is a big gap there between births, so i wonder if she should actually be 1882? as matches her death, her and her husband died the same year withiin 6 months of each other and they are positive she was 10 years older then him, him being born 1892, although her wedding photo does not make her look older.

I can't find a birth for 1892/93 for Beatrice although i have her marriage certificate to her husband showing her Dad to be John a Fish Curer (so i know it's the right family) the problem i have is i can't find her in 1911, i have her after her marriage living with Husband William Bates at these address's

1930 3 stretton grove
1935 58 chesterton road Balsall Heath
1939 " " " " Balsall Heath

Her burial at Lodge Hill has her age as totally different and being born 10 years earlier, again no births in Birmingham match any dates.

Is there anyone who wouldn't mind checking the 1911 for them, i know her mother is on there, but can't see the others, many thanks Claire :)

Phoebe Higham (c1858) and daughter Emily Higham (c1896) are living with Phoebe's son John Henry (c 1878)and wife Susannah and family at 10 court 3 house Heath Mill Lane in 1911.

Thanks Ladylinda, intersting she gives that address on her marriage, but where was she in 1911? and where was her dad? her parents don't die until atleast 1930's.

Just giving this a nudge up incase anyone else has any bright ideas, you clever lot managed to crack my last brick wall :)

I know this thread is over 10 years old now but I am currently researching this family and would be interested to contact Claire-Brum71 or anyone who has any information regarding the family. If anyone has any information, please contact me. Thanks.

Claire-Brum71 has been on the forum fairly recently (2021) so she may see your post.

If you have a specific query/dead-end you can ask and someone maybe be able to help. It does look like that a number of John & Phoebe's children were not registered, nor does it look like that there is a marriage registration for them.

No, I cannot seem to find that information either. It appears that John Henry Higham wasn't a fan of sticking to the rules/law judging by the newspaper articles I have found about him!

Back