• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street, Aston

it did'nt open for me either, but glad it was fixed as l would have missed a great picture.....thats how l remember the high streetl l was a member of Burlington Hall, for many years as were my parents and it was a wonderful community club for all ages,and have many happy memories of our camping days, dancing get togethers etc.....Brenda

"Great picture" I wish i could get a close up of the house I was born in though. Up on the left hand side,

topsy thats a cracking pic of the high st..just see the bartons on the right and i think the corner of new st on the left....not many hight st pics around

thanks for posting it....

lyn

Last edited:
I think the Admin Team have special powers that allow them to see things that others can,t..Dek

Re: from 6ways to Burlington st

I noticed this reply you have posted about the shops on high street aston.I have been researching my g grandfather Richard George Poole because it is said that he owned 4 shops one in Whitehead Rd Aston, one in Station Rd Handsworth,and one in High Street Aston.On checking the electors lists i noticed that at 104 High Street Aston in 1925 one of his daughters was there but her abode address was the family home which we know about.Would i be right in assuming if i was to go into Birmingham Library i would need to check the business directories to obtain lists like those you have posted here.
Kind regards
Casey.

Casey
The answer is yes if you mean thast your g grandfather ran the shops, but if he owned the building and rented it out, then he would not be listed. In 1921 and 1932 there was no Richard Poole llsted, and 104 high st Aston was under Alfred J.Gilmore in 1921 and Mrs Bertha Costello in 1932
Mike

high st aston during the building of the perry barr expressway...looking towards the bartons arms which is just out of shot on the left...the tower block being built with the name whitthall on it will be inkerman house...

bookpics028.jpg

Now here's a test of time. I know the Barton's Arms is still there but are the tower blocks? Viv

yes viv they are still there...here is one of my favourites..high st looking towards 6 ways dated 1949..the bartons arms is on the right..i am pretty sure that there was a shop on the left where i used to buy my stockings from..i can remember it had 2 wooden steps up to it and the counter was on the right as you went into the shop...

bookpics032.jpg

i must be getting old.i can remember that row of shops.ie the coffin maker.and the wood shop,
on the other side of the road.i only remember the pigs foot shop lol.

thats a cracking pic topsy..new to me..corner with phillips st..its really hard to imagine how the high street looked...

lyn

hi pud..that would be the dog and duck i think....if you go onto the inkerman st thread ive posted a pic of that street and in the distance you can see this pub...ive also got a pic of the dog and duck being demolished ..

lyn

Last edited:
hi pud..that would be the dog and duck i think....if you go onto the asylum road thread ive posted a pic of that street and in the distance you can see this pub...ive also got a pic of the dog and duck being demolished ..

lyn

thank you Lyn for the info D&D was it the closest pub to the Barton arms? do you know?

no pud the wagon and horses was even closer to the bartons arms pub...same side as the dog and duck but on the corner with webster st...

lyn

for those interested here a section from the 1944 kellys directory for high st and newtown row...hope you can read it ok if not save it to your files and use the zoom...

lyn

img147-1.jpg

Back