• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street, Aston

E

EmmaR

Hi

We are trying to trace (the location of) 196 High Street, Aston, which was once Vokes tobaconnists (until 1930s) - can anyone help with where it was, or even point out the numbering of shops on High Street on one of the photographs. We know Barton Arms is 144.......

Thanks in advance.

Emma & Paul

High STreet

John

Thanks for your help - although interesting, the list doesn't go quite as far as 196, and we know that is the right addressfor the shop. Could you tell me what date this list is please?

Emma :)

high st Kelly's 1933

also a photograh of the shop under another name just before demolition

hello alf,i think you werent too far from us we were next door door to becketts and in betweem mr collings second hand shop,we were 88 high st,only time we had grass was when they knocked it down

High Street

John

Thanks ever so much for identifying our g.grandfather's shop. The Mrs Kate Vokes listed was his daughter in law, and my great aunt - do you have a date for the list or suggest how I find out when the shop became Coopers? I think it may have been in the late 30s.

Emma

Looking for Vokes, Hodgkiss, Lisemore, Spencer

hello alf,i think you werent too far from us we were next door door to becketts and in betweem mr collings second hand shop,we were 88 high st,only time we had grass was when they knocked it down

We were up by St Stephens Church next to the Big Wheel next to the wall of the factory:)

Hi Gang, after school my wife Pat worked in the office at Griffin's Greengrocery and her friend and mentor there was Josie Eccleston who worked on the front - what a cold job they had. Pat worked later up at Ingall Parsons and Clive making shrouds!! never had one complaint from a customer!

Hi Gang, after school my wife Pat worked in the office at Griffin's Greengrocery and her friend and mentor there was Josie Eccleston who worked on the front - what a cold job they had. Pat worked later up at Ingall Parsons and Clive making shrouds!! never had one complaint from a customer!

My Mom worked at Griffin's Greengrocery in the War till 1947 till we moved to Erdington:) :)

vokes

they were still there 1943 Kelly's from then till 1946 they had moved out and the name of the shop was Farr & Smith so you need to look at the Kelly's between these years bearing in mind the 1943 Kelly's was brought up to date in 1942 ready for the 1943 edition

Thanks, I'll take a deep breath, and take my toddler to the Central Library - shall I post when so everyone else knows to be somewhere else!!??

Vokes

Hi EmmaR, I think it was the late 1950s or very early 1960s when Ray Cooper took over the newsagents, he moved there from a little newsagents in Phillips Street, almost opposite Talford Street. I moved back to Aston in 1958 and he delivered - or rather his newsboys delivered our papers when we lived in Burlington Street.

My sister Collen Bradbury worked at Ingle, Parsons, Clive and Company 1960 ish. We lived across the road from them in number 103 so she didn't have far to go. Even so, I understand she was often late

I worked at Tate Studio 198 High Street. I remember the owner of the Newsagent.We are still on the same site today !

I was born in 99 High street, 1955. Got the detailed Map off Mikajee! but i still can't upload anything from files onto the forum,
Ingall, and Parsons?. I think my Aunt, Rosa Coley used to work there, didn't they make coffins too.?

picture.php

I have pondered over this picture of the Beaconsfield Hotel in High Street Aston,wondering where it was located.
Then i realised that in later years and until it's demolition it became Burlington Hall youth club.Moss.

Mossy that is a fantastic photo of the Beaconsfield Hotel/Burlington Hall, I never knew the history of Burlington Hall Youth Club, but I can now imagine it as a hotel, it had a lovely wide mahogany staircase leading up to the first floor, although the rest of the building must have undergone many changes since 1878 and when I went there in the 1940s/50s. Thanks so much for posting it.

Thanks Topsy got it now is that the side of the Barton Arms in the r/hand corner? How come Mike can open it and the rest of us can,t he must have a super sonic computer. Dek

I could open the picture. I remember it well. It's a great photo of the High Street in those days. Haven't seen too many of those. Is that the Globe Theatre on the left hand side?

It didn't open for me, but not sure why. Dosen't matter as the second attempt worked for me

Back