• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hewitt - Help with family tree search

lozza B

proper brummie kid
Hello just wondering if anyone has access to finding more info on my partners fathers side. His father died 11th July 2017 and he was married to Josephine Hewitt. Edward or Ted as he was known never knew his father as he had died at war. He had suffered a fatal asthma attack and sadly died in The trenches.
Mark was born march 65 and his older brother kevin was born July 1963. Ted always lived in Birmingham but in the later years moved to staffordshire. His last Birmingham address was Bickley Grove Sheldon. Mark also knows his grandfather was buried in witton in a paupers grave but never has visited As he had no info. Could someone kindly help my partner find out more about his family. He doesnt even know his grandfathers name. Much appreciated

hi lozza a bit more info please..could we have edwards full name and date of birth as it may help..have i got this correct edwards dad died in the trenches but is buried at witton ?

i can see a marriage for a josephine hewitt to edward norman birm 1960 is this the right people

lyn

Last edited:
There are births registered for Mark Norman 1965 and Kevin Norman 1963 both with mmn Hewitt and at Meriden. This fits.

I am confused - this thread is under surnames E - H but if it is Edward Norman's father we are looking for shouldn't it be under N?
Whatever - as well as marriage cert the birth cert (which may be quicker and cheaper to buy) will also have Father's name.

Edward possibly the son of Harry Norman and Agnes Louisa Burnett.

However, maybe a little confusion with the circumstances of his death because he died in 1938 before the war. So perhaps he suffered some injury in the trenches in WWI which caused the asthma attack later in life - speculation.

If so Harry (Bham) and Agnes (Aston) were both born in 1895 and married in 1914. Had at least 12 children. There is a burial for a Harry Norman of the correct age at Witton, May 1938.

there is an agnes norman b 1895 on the 1939 eve of war census..she is down as widowed living with her are 8 others which i presume are her children...address is 74 severne road birmingham....when you see a crossed out surname this indicates the persons married name which you may recognise..blanked out names usually means the children are very young...below is the 39 census which i think is correct and i would agree with MWS that edwards parents were harry and agnes norman

lyn

tna_r39_5587_5587f_020.jpg

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Yes, that's them Lyn, a gap for Edward after Brenda probably. Agnes is at 6 Tavistock Road on the 60s ERs. Edward is there with her in 1960 but is gone by 1962 (Allerton Road with Josephine), which ties in with his marriage.

It is possible that Harry Norman's WWI army records have survived. There are some for a Harry Norman aged 19, next of kin George. I can't work out if they're his from what I can see and there is also a Harry Norman, father George from London and they could be his.

thats great so to recap we now know that edwards dad is harry norman and harrys dad is george norman as shown on marriage cert post 9

hopefully lozza will log back on and see all the info we have found out on above posts

lyn

I've just tried looking but there are so many Harry Normans I gave up. Are you able to see a number or regiment?

No, that doesn't come up in the search results. However, when I search Harry Norman, birth 1894-1896, father George in British Army WWI Pension Records there's just 1 result. As I say it may not be him.

thats great so to recap we now know that edwards dad is harry norman and harrys dad is george norman as shown on marriage cert post 9

hopefully lozza will log back on and see all the info we have found out on above posts

lyn
Thank you all for trying to find my partner marks grandfather. Now he has his name and his grandfathers name. Its a great start

Kind regards to everyone

hi lozza a bit more info please..could we have edwards full name and date of birth as it may help..have i got this correct edwards dad died in the trenches but is buried at witton ?

i can see a marriage for a josephine hewitt to edward norman birm 1960 is this the right people

lyn
Hello
Going by what my partner Mark Norman was told .His grandfather took an asthma attack and died during the war. I think edward who was marks father was born around 1938 but he never knew his dad as he died when he was a baby. But again stories over the years can be mistruded. He may not have died in The trenches

Last edited:
I have found one but it is East Yorks and he is living in Seaton so I think we can rule that out. Pity. I did think he might have a

lyn
Yes josephine Is his mum
Thank you for helping

I have found one but it is East Yorks and he is living in Seaton so I think we can rule that out. Pity. I did think he might have a

lyn
Yes josephine Is his mum
Thank you for helping

Edward possibly the son of Harry Norman and Agnes Louisa Burnett.

However, maybe a little confusion with the circumstances of his death because he died in 1938 before the war. So perhaps he suffered some injury in the trenches in WWI which caused the asthma attack later in life - speculation.

If so Harry (Bham) and Agnes (Aston) were both born in 1895 and married in 1914. Had at least 12 children. There is a burial for a Harry Norman of the correct age at Witton, May 1938.
Hi there thank you for your help. Do you think this is marks Grandfather. Can you send info to look at ...thank you

Hello
Going by what my partner Mark Norman was told .His grandfather took an asthma attack and died during the war. I think edward who was marks father was born around 1938 but he never knew his dad as he died when he was a baby. But again stories over the years can be mistruded. He may not have died in The trenches
Edward was born in 1936.
Birth reg details in post #14

there is an agnes norman b 1895 on the 1939 eve of war census..she is down as widowed living with her are 8 others which i presume are her children...address is 74 severne road birmingham....when you see a crossed out surname this indicates the persons married name which you may recognise..blanked out names usually means the children are very young...below is the 39 census which i think is correct and i would agree with MWS that edwards parents were harry and agnes norman

lyn

View attachment 190741
Hello
Would Agnes Norman in 1939 be the grandmother as she is listed as being 95 years if age. She would be possibly Harry Normans mother.

lyn

View attachment 190741
Mark has said that this is his fathers siblings
Hello
Would Agnes Norman in 1939 be the grandmother as she is listed as being 95 years if age. She would be possibly Harry Normans mother.
Mark has said this is his aunts and uncles listed here and that street is correct where they lived. So thank you for finding the family. Its a great find ..many Thanks

hi lozza that column on the 1939 register gives the date of birth for the people listed...agnes was not aged 95 its her date of birth which was ..20th sept 1895..the letter W next to agnes name means she was a widow so her husband harry had died by then underneath agnes name is son henry his date of birth is 5th aug 1914 and so down the list if there is anything you dont understand just ask

lyn.

Last edited:
Back