• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

help please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...wondered if anyone knows why when i print off pics i am getting lines down the paper...it does not matter if its glossy or matt paper the lines are always there....my printer and scanner is an epsom DX8400... cost me £100 so i guess its not that cheap.. the paper i am using is only from the £1 shop..just wondered if its the printer or the paper...any help would be much appreciated...

lyn:)

I've had this and its a problem with the printer programme - the 'drivers' I suppose. I deleted it from the computer hardware profile, then re connected it as if it were new, ran the "add new hardware" uploader, it worked fine after.
Otherwise, it could be a fault with the print head, (ink cartridge, or the connections to it). Try reloading that first. Good luck!

Lyn, I have the same DX8400 printer and use Poundland Photo paper with great results so I don't think it is the paper. As Lloyd says I think you are looking at drivers that are the cause of the problem. Go to this link and download a new set of the drivers and give that a go first. www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-DX8400/Drivers-Support?supportLandingPage=true You don't say what kind of lines you are getting, let us know a bit more info or maybe scan a print out and post it and I am sure we can zero in on the problem a bit more. It's always worth getting a new set of drivers and software if they are available though so give that a try first.

thanks Lloyd and dave....as you should be well aware by now i am totally incapable of following these instructions....:rolleyes::rolleyes: i will however pass this info onto my son who should be able to have a go..

thank you both.....

:)

Lyn, I have posted a link to where to get the new drivers from however it is pending clearance by forum admin as it contains a link to a comercial site, keep your eye on this thread.

Lyn,

Of all of the different printer makes, Epson are probably the most susceptible to rebelling against the so-called "compatible" cartridges.

In the years before we switched to a much more expensive Canon, I've taken two nearly new Epsons (different models) back to the supplier and demonstrated the fault you described. On both occasions, the supplier replaced the "compatible" cartridge with a genuine Epson cartirdge and the fault disappeared before my very eyes!

If you're using a "compatible" cartridge, it's worth doing a swap with a genuine Epson one to see if there is any difference.

Maurice :cool:

thank you all for you help...i will show my son all the advice given...maurice when you say compatable cartridge are you talking about the ink cartridges or am i off beam as usual...:cry::cry:

lyn

Yes, Lyn, the ink cartridges. Are you using the genuine Epson ones or the so-called compatible ones? If you're using the genuine Epson ones, ignore my posting.

here you go dave....pretty bad id say...the lines dont show up so bad in black and white...

looks like a new printer cartridge or the heads need cleaning...

will let you all know how we get on

thanks again folks..

lyn:):):)

Hi, I've got Epson printers and had a similar thing last year, I solved it by running 'Checking and Cleaning the Print Head' and 'Aligning the Print Head' as specified in the printer manual. I've no idea what the printer done to itself though. Another thing I have also done, is to use a drawing program to print Red, Yellow, and Blue, solid squares. I think I found trouble with one colour.:)

hi oldmohawk...i think cleaning the head will be the first step....gosh i wish i knew what to do...oh its ok me sons just come in....and now hes just gone out again...:D:D:D

ok folks will have a go now....

lyn:):)

I also had an Epson printer which on occassion had similar lines, when I checked for faults it suggested cleaning and realigning heads, which meant typing instructions for printer to do just that, which it did - Hey Presto, lines GONE
Eric
PS was using very cheap Epson type inks

Looks like low ink or blocked heads to me, give them a clean via the printer maintenance utilty. A good tip is to keep the printer away from heat sources such as radiators or direct sunlight, this will prevent the heads drying out.

thank you eric and dave...we have decided have a go tomorrow now.....fingers crossed all the advise given will solve the problem...

Cheers

Hello Lyn,
Definately a head cleaning problem, put several sheets of paper into the printer, and and right click on the printer symbol on your task bar, go into maintenance or utilities and click clean heads.
It will print several sheets with blocks of colour on, it only takes up about an inch of the top of the paper,so when the sheets come out just re-load them to avoid waste.
After a few runs the problem should be solved.
Regards John.

hi oldmohawk...i think cleaning the head will be the first step....gosh i wish i knew what to do...oh its ok me sons just come in....and now hes just gone out again...:D:D:D

ok folks will have a go now....

I've got a Son like that George I asked him to do something for me yesterday and he was busy, I said goodnight to him last night as I went to bed, he woke me at 2.00am and said I'll fix that tomorrow Dad its my day off:shh:

morning alf...seems we have the same problem with our sons then....:D:D:D dont worry i shall grab him as soon as he comes in later and tell him he cant have his dinner till its done....

lyn

thanks everyone...all sorted:):) printed off one pic and now its telling me i need more ink....:D:D:D

That's the problem with head cleaning - it does tend to use up rather a lot of ink if you need to do it several times. :)

Back