• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help needed tracing Small Heath burials

uncle albert

knowlegable brummie
Hello all, I am new to the forum, and this is my first post, so please forgive me any novice errors.

My family, (The Plumb family) were living in the Small Heath area, namely Mona Road/Garrison Lane etc, from the early 1800`s right through to the 1911 census.
I have been trying to find any trace of where any of them may be buried, but have failed miserably in my attempts.
If anyone could give me any guidance or help, I would be so grateful.
Many thanks for looking.

Birmingham library have started listing some burials and these can be viewed on Ancestry. There are 14 Plumbs listed at present - the only one that seems to fit the area you give is John Plumb of Garrison Lane buried on 23 June 1861 at the District Church of St Bartholomew age 2 months.

Have you any other first names?

There are only 14 Birmingham burials between 1813 and 1964 for Plumb listed on Ancestry, I can't tell you the parishes though (no subscription).

If you haven't got a subscription you can look for free at the library. If that doesn't help then looking through the records of the nearest churches might be the next step.

I have found this burial in Ancestry the address given is Garrison Lane, but no number.

Name:
John Plumb
Birth Year:
abt 1861
Burial Date:
23 Jun 1861
Burial Place:
Birmingham, St Bartholomew, Warwickshire, England
Burial Age:
2/12
Reference Number:
DRO 28
Archive Roll:
M15/M17

Many thanks to everyone for responding. I`m not sure who poor little baby John was, but I shall investigate further.
I have managed to trace back through five generations of Plumbs, beginning at the 1841 census with John and Mary, who were shown only as living in the civil parish of St.Mary. They appear again on the !851 census, living at civil parish-Aston, Ecclesiastical parish-St.Andrew, Town-Bordesley. I have no idea when they died.
The next couple were Henry (b.1835, d.1875) and Elizabeth, nee Floyd (b.1836) shown on the 1871 census in the identical location as the above.
Then came Henry (b.1859, d.1930) and Alice, nee Baker (b.1868, d.1938) on the 1901 and 1911 censuses, living at Keeley street.
I know that Henry and Alice moved to Mona Road sometime between 1911 and 1915, as two of their sons were shown as living at 19 Mona Road in their WW1 military records. One of these sons name was John, born in 1892, and I would also dearly love to find out when he died and where he is buried. I know that he survived WW1, but his service/pension records did not survive. The first trace that I have found of him is on the 1901 census at Keeley street aged 9.
That`s a little more meat on the bones, but I understand that this is a rather tall order.
Again, many thanks to everyone for looking.

There's a death registered Birmingham 1970 for a John Plumb born about 1892. (findmypast)

And that's the only death listed in England between 1900 and 2000 for a John Plumb (no middle name) who was born between 1890 and 1894.

Last edited:
These all all the entries - note three of them appear twice so there are actually only 11!

NameBirth Date Burial Date Burial Parish
John Plumbabt 177416 Dec 1821Birmingham, St Mary
Widow Mary Plumbabt 178619 Jan 1844Birmingham, St Paul
William Plumbabt 182110 Feb 1895Saltley, St Saviour
John Plumbabt 18349 Sep 1860Bordesley, Holy Trinity
Henry Plumbabt 183518 Aug 1875Saltley, St Saviour
Thomas Plumbabt 184129 Jan 1896Kings Norton, St Nicolas
John Plumbabt 186123 Jun 1861Birmingham, St Bartholomew
Elsie Dorothy Plumbabt 190011 Jun 1901Aston, St Peter and St Paul
Elsie Dorothy Plumbabt 190011 Jun 1901Aston, St Peter and St Paul
Cleanor Grace Plumbabt 19055 Dec 1907Aston, St Peter and St Paul
Eleanor Grace Plumbabt 19055 Dec 1907Aston, St Peter and St Paul
Gladys Ann Plumbabt 19088 Apr 1909Aston, St Peter and St Paul
Gladys Ann Plumbabt 19088 Apr 1909Aston, St Peter and St Paul
Colin Plumbabt 193716 Dec 1937Erdington, St Barnabas

Hi Uncle Albert,

There's a total of 27 PLUMBs listed under Parish Register Burials on FindMyPast, but only a John (in 1891) out of the forenames you mention. Most seem to have been buried at Witton Cemetery and one at Warstone Lane. I think you need to find the years of their deaths and then the burials might start to make a bit more sense.

Maurice

The 'District Church of St Bartholomew' I mentioned earlier sadly appears to be no longer.

This is from https://ahistoryofbirminghamchurche...rtin-in-the-bull-ring/st-bartholomew-digbeth/

St Bartholomew’s closed in 1937 and its small parish was split between those of St Philip, St. Martin, St. Gabriel and Bishop Ryder. In 1942 the building was badly damaged by a German bomb; it was demolished the following year, except for a fragment of the east end and the east window. The much-admired 17th-century carving in the chancel depicting cherubs, fruit and flowers was taken to Christ Church, Yardley Wood. Some of the oak panelling was installed in the Lady Chapel of St Mary's Moseley. By 1961 the last vestiges of St Bartholomew’s church had disappeared completely and the site was in use as a car park.

So kind of you all to take the trouble to help me. I`m blown away by the response, and I really am very grateful indeed.

I`m fairly sure that the John Plumb mentioned by MWS is one of the brothers involved in WW1 from Mona Road, and whom incidentally won the Military Medal for gallantry. I don`t see him on the list that has been so kindly posted by jukebox, and wonder if there is any clue at all as to where he may be buried.

Looking at the rest of the list, I can definitely see my great-great grandfather Henry 1835-1875, and see that he is buried in Saltley parish. Would this determine which cemetery he may be in by any chance?
I`m going to look into the list in more depth, to see if anyone else on there is part of the family. I`m so thrilled to see Henry on there in any case.
Thank you Maurice for your input too. I`m starting to put the pieces together slowly.
Best regards, and many thanks once more for everyone`s help.

The 'District Church of St Bartholomew' I mentioned earlier sadly appears to be no longer.

This is from https://ahistoryofbirminghamchurche...rtin-in-the-bull-ring/st-bartholomew-digbeth/

St Bartholomew’s closed in 1937 and its small parish was split between those of St Philip, St. Martin, St. Gabriel and Bishop Ryder. In 1942 the building was badly damaged by a German bomb; it was demolished the following year, except for a fragment of the east end and the east window. The much-admired 17th-century carving in the chancel depicting cherubs, fruit and flowers was taken to Christ Church, Yardley Wood. Some of the oak panelling was installed in the Lady Chapel of St Mary's Moseley. By 1961 the last vestiges of St Bartholomew’s church had disappeared completely and the site was in use as a car park.

Sad indeed ! Although the Church and fittings were destroyed or relocated, I would assume that the grave-sites were left undisturbed, though I have no basis for this assumption. Presumably the records would have passed on to one of the other churches that you mention?
Coincidentally, the two areas that artifacts were relocated to are close to me. I grew up not a mile away from Christ Church Yardley Wood, and now live not a mile away from St.Mary`s in Moseley.
Small world.

Re Henry. I would assume that he was buried in St Saviour's Churchyard but that may of course be incorrect. I think the church is probably still there looking at the photo on the church web site I mentioned earlier. The actual entry in the register just says it's 'The Parish of Saltley juxta Birmingham in the County of Warwick'. Henry's address is given as Palmer St, Deritend. (very near Garrison Lane).

St Saviour's church is still there, as is the graveyard, though it is pretty overgrown. A bit early for a gravestone maybe, unless he was well off.

Re Henry. I would assume that he was buried in St Saviour's Churchyard but that may of course be incorrect. I think the church is probably still there looking at the photo on the church web site I mentioned earlier. The actual entry in the register just says it's 'The Parish of Saltley juxta Birmingham in the County of Warwick'. Henry's address is given as Palmer St, Deritend. (very near Garrison Lane).

That`s great jukebox. I have his widow living at "back of" 19 Palmer Street, so without any doubt this is my great great grandfather. This being so, it`s worth a ride over there to see if I can check out their records.
Fantastic result for me. Relative number one tracked down.
Thanks so much for your help.

St Saviour's church is still there, as is the graveyard, though it is pretty overgrown. A bit early for a gravestone maybe, unless he was well off.
Many thanks for the pics and info MWS. I`m very grateful to you for your time.
The graveyard looks incredibly overgrown, and I`m certain that his family would not have been able to afford a headstone. However, a trip to the church may reveal more. We shall see.
Thanks again for your help.

Hi Uncle Albert, In my experience with the Monumental Inscriptions Lists they are fairly accurate. However, as mentioned names can be missed off
the lists and other people can be buried in the graves in the cemeteries but not always recorded. I think you would need more proof as to where
Henry is buried before you proceed if that's possible at this point.

Many thanks jennyman. I`ll have a trawl through the list.
I have no proof other than the information so kindly provided by other members on this thread.
I`m right at the beginning of my search here on the forum, so any links like the one that you have posted are most helpful, and gratefully received.

I think you would need more proof as to where
Henry is buried before you proceed if that's possible at this point.

The information I gave you was from Birmingham City Archives - St Saviour Saltley Burial Register (DRO46/42) Burials 16 May 1873 to 6 January 1876 page 131. I presume therefore that Henry was actually buried there. However jennyann's website link (thanks for that jennyann - I wasn't aware of that one) probably only details existing headstones and as others have said many graves remain unmarked if a headstone could not be afforded. I think it would certainly be worth a visit to the church to ask if they have any info on the plots.

Thanks jukebox, I will do that. I feel sure that this is his resting place, though I may find no physical sign of it. However, a visit to the church will I am sure confirm that he is there. You have been so helpful. I am much obliged to you.
I agree that jennyanns link is a really useful resource, but I haven`t managed to find any more of my elusive clan members mentioned earlier.
Thanks again for helping.

Back