• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

help indenity the regiment please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i fear this one will be difficult but could anyone identify the regiment by the cap the man is wearing in this photo...its a long shot but you never know...my grandad is sitting on the left..
many thanks

lyn

img834.jpg

Any clues as to the year (roughly) we are looking at here Lyn? Also I fear we may need a higher definition copy to get the badge detail. Here is one I have tweaked a little.

Cap Badge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bernie it says on the back 1921/22....but i do have a problem with the date as my grandad was born in 1908 which would only make him about 13 or 14 ??? surley not...

I would say Lyn, it is just post WW1, I cannot be definite but blowing up the cap badge although out of focus seems to be a "Rifles" possibly
the RGJ, "Royal Green Jackets", as I think there is a large cross in the badge centre, but I cannot be sure.
paul

hi paul...did the royal green jackets serve anywhere in perticular do you know...

lyn

There were 3 battalions as I remember Lyn, and they would have served all over empire inc India, so they would have been just about anywhere up till WW2. In these days Lyn you could enlist in the British army from 13 yrs of age, mainly as bandsmen.
Hope that helps .
paul

now that is interesting paul because if i remember correctly dad told me years back that this photo was taken in india..i am going to visit dad in the morning and if i think he is up to answering questions i will press this subject with him again..

lyn

Any clues as to the year (roughly) we are looking at here Lyn? Also I fear we may need a higher definition copy to get the badge detail. Here is one I have tweaked a little.

View attachment 77342

If I could be sure that there's a crown there I'd say it's the old pattern Royal Engineers badge.

Those two at the rear look like PT instructors and noting the towel on the shoulder of He With The Badge, I wonder if we're looking at a couple of boxers ?

mmm its a bit of a mystery is this and ive made a boo boo..the man on the left sitting is my grandad henry harry harrington...i thought he was born in 1908 but he was born in 1903 so this would make him about 19 when the pic was taken...ive been told that i have to apply somewhere to find out what regiment he was in as it wont be online to do a search....unless of course when i see our dad he may know...

lyn

Back