• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Heathfield Hall

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Its the anniversary of James Watt's death today, so here's a photo of his Handsworth home on the centenary of his death in 1919.

I've also come across this 1886 tile painting by John Eyre of Watt and Matthew Boulton in a workshop. I think perhaps the tile painting is of the interior of Heathfield Hall, maybe Watt's workshop which has since been installed in the Science Museum in London. I presume the seated man is a young Boulton. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

We went to the Science Museum to see the workshop a few years ago but couldn't find it. On enquiry we were told it was boarded up behind the current exhibition which was of Brunel. Whether it's on display now or not who knows? Why on earth did Birmingham allow it to be taken to London. I wonder what else has gone missing?

Shall have to go and check up on it Lady P. I think it's now properly on display. Did wonder myself why it went to the London Science Museum. Viv.

The official version is just that the house was due for demolition and the Science museum purchased it. Apparently, by implication, the Birmingham museum expressed no interest . I went to a meeting a while ago where the present curator of that section of the museum described (from the records) how it took several van loads to transport it all.

Its the anniversary of James Watt's death today, so here's a photo of his Handsworth home on the centenary of his death in 1919.

I've also come across this 1886 tile painting by John Eyre of Watt and Matthew Boulton in a workshop. I think perhaps the tile painting is of the interior of Heathfield Hall, maybe Watt's workshop which has since been installed in the Science Museum in London. I presume the seated man is a young Boulton. Viv.

View attachment 107946 View attachment 107947
Hi viv
Did this building end up as Heathfield Road Hospital ?
Ray

The house was demolished in 1924. The Heathfield Housing estate was built on the land. As far as I can tell the Hall and the hospital were on opposite sides of Heathfield Road.

Yes Janice. the Hall is shown on this c1917 map

Attachments

• map c 1917 showing Heathfield Hall.jpg
    map c 1917 showing Heathfield Hall.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks Mike I thought you might find a map. The hospital was by Finch Road so on the other side.

This is a very nice little video of Watt's workshop, originally in the attic of Heathfield Hall but removed to the Science Museum, London when Heathfield Hall was demolished. Gives a few little glimpses of Watt, the person as well as inventor. Viv.

https://historywm.com/films/james-watts-workshop-inventing-the-modern-world/
Viv, this is a wonderful video especially as I grew up on Radnor Rd in Handsworth which runs into North & West Drive which is where James Watts home was located sometimes known as the James Watt estate.
Thank you for sharing!

Back