• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hawker baptisms 1800-1840 lookup request

paulreid

proper brummie kid
I'd be grateful if anyone with access to parish records for any Aston or Brum church could kindly let me have details of baptisms of Hawkers (surname, not occupation!) between 1800 and 1840, including parents' names please.

NO NEED for baptisms at St Martin's as these have already been kindly provided by "Shera".

Thanks in advance

Paul

hi paul, i did give you some st. martins baptisms but not all that were there! i just gave you the ones with parents james and ann as you requested, so there are more if you wanted any other parents names.

theres this baptism at st. martins ... 9 dec 1811 charles son of charles and frances hawker 12 weeks old.

and this....1 june 1798 william son of john and sarah hawker
and 21st aug 1837 mary ann daughter of joseph and sarah hawker , born 5 dec 1836. norfolk st. (looks like) plaisterer
and 6th aug 1838 elizabeth sarah daughter of joseph and sarah hawker , born 18 jul 1838 nelson st. plaisterer
and 22 june 1840 george william son of joseph and sarah hawker, born 30 may 1840. nelson st. plaisterer

i think thats it between those years. some may be transcribed under hawkes instead of hawker. (there are loads of hawkes though)

Aha! Thanks again! I wasn't aware of Charles and Frances, nor John and Sarah, nor Joseph and Sarah. I think there were a William and Mary who were contemporaries of James and Ann, and I'm guessing (dangerous!) that William and James might have been brothers. Not the 1798 William though 'cos it seems William and Mary had a son (William!) in 1807!

Now I'm thinking that Charles, John and Joseph may be closely related to them!

I'm still open for other baptisms at other churches!

I have looked and found some of the posted Hawker families in the 1841 census do you need these? I so let me know...

Last edited:
Hi Pomgolian

I think I have them too but I'd be interested to know what you have found! Would it be feasible for you to post the info here please? If not, we can do it in a PM I guess.
Thanks!

Hi Shera

May I ask you to do another St Martin's lookup please? I'd like to try to discover whether the Hannah Hawker who married Hugh Barnett on 31 Aug 1825 at St Martin's is the Hannah who was the daughter of James and Ann Hawker. If so, she'd only have been 17.

Could you please let me know who the witnesses to this wedding were?

Thanks! Paul

1841 census
Place:Ladywood Birmingham -Warwickshire Address: 9 Nelson St

Surname First name(s) Occupation Where Born Remarks
HAWKER Joseph M 20 Plasterer Outside Census County (1841)
HAWKER Sarah F 20 Outside Census County (1841)
HAWKER Mary Ann F 4 Warwickshire
HAWKER George M 1 Warwickshire

Last edited:
Hi Shera

May I ask you to do another St Martin's lookup please? I'd like to try to discover whether the Hannah Hawker who married Hugh Barnett on 31 Aug 1825 at St Martin's is the Hannah who was the daughter of James and Ann Hawker. If so, she'd only have been 17.

Could you please let me know who the witnesses to this wedding were?

Thanks! Paul

sorry for the delay, i have been away. the marriage just says bachelor and spinster of this parish. and the witness was ann hawker (the other witness was a church official). could well be her mother then!

Back