• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harborne

hi, does anyone remeber the old row off terraced houses next to the swimmg baths? they had outside loos? would love a picture or two of these

The row of terraced house are still there although the first two houses were demolished a few years ago but their outside toilets are still there!! I have led several walks around Harborne and when I pass there, I usually comment that we may all remember outside loos at the back but this must be a rare case of outside loos outside the front doors. Often I am asked if they were originally back-to-backs; a question I have asked myself but I have studied them and do not think so. The 1901 OS map deffinately shows them as houses with gardens at the back.

I hope you don’t mind me worrying you again. I was disappointed that no-one seems to know anything about my old school, Newport House. Kind people on the ‘Schools’ and ‘Hands’ threads have worked out that it was in operation from about 1935 to 1952 at 21 Court Oak Rd. The Google street view shows a block of flats where it once was. I wonder if anyone remembers these being built? I am sad that the school has gone, and also sad to read about the Harborne Baths being demolished. I loved going there once a week with the school (except when they were closed because of the ‘infantile paralysis’ epidemic). Thanks for the great photos, inside and out. I remember those cubicles all round the edge, though I don’t think they were as brightly painted in my day. I have never seen individual change cubicles at a pool in Australia – do they still have them at other places? Elizabeth
So sorry i am so slow in answering you. i hadn't been on for a few weeks, and am just catching up, there are a couple of old pools left that still have changing rooms like that, but most are new complexes and have large changing areas with lockers

My mum still has her outside loo, although she doesn't use it. When we went 'posh' and had an upstairs bathroom, the outside toilet became the mens toilet. My mum used to leave a paraffin lamp in there to stop the pipes from freezing
The row of terraced house are still there although the first two houses were demolished a few years ago but their outside toilets are still there!! I have led several walks around Harborne and when I pass there, I usually comment that we may all remember outside loos at the back but this must be a rare case of outside loos outside the front doors. Often I am asked if they were originally back-to-backs; a question I have asked myself but I have studied them and do not think so. The 1901 OS map deffinately shows them as houses with gardens at the back.

Hello Pam m, i lived there mid 60s to early 70s,

Hi, Liz, i lived with my 6 sisters and brothers in Gordon road which is just of Station road!,i went to Station road school then Harborne Hill, i know the area quite well at that time, we moved there in 64 and left 82, i was 3 when we moved there lol, so i spent alot of years there, my heart will always be there!, just wished i would of taken lots of photographs at that time now im searching for them, i remeber the fire engines wizzing down the road, i also remeber a small butchers at the top of the road and a mini market on the opposite side run by the Driscol family, also a locksmiths and a grocers on the corner too, have you any phots Liz?

Does anyone remember the Salvation Army hall in Station Road? Does anyone have a photo of it? I think it has been demolished, and maybe where the Marks & Spencer is now.

Hello Pam there are a lot of photo's on here of harborne, i will try and find a link for them, also if you go to my profile and look in my album there are a few, and i probably have more, i'll have a look, i moved there in 67 until i married in 72,
Is there a photo of the Sally Army hall on Station Road?

I am not sure about Station Road but it is now in Lonsdale Road opposite the old Bus Station
Thank you Aidan, yes I was aware that it had moved to Lonsdale Road - some horrid green hut! My brother attended the Harborne corps in the 1980s, and it was certainly in Station Road then. I presume the Station Road hall would have been a nice brick-built building, similar to that used in Erdington or Sparkhill.

Hi, Liz, i lived with my 6 sisters and brothers in Gordon road which is just of Station road!,i went to Station road school then Harborne Hill, i know the area quite well
Hi there - do you remember the Salvation Army building in Station Road?

I don't remember the Salvation Army being in Station Rd i thought it was on the High St.

Aiden, it was end on to the road, right on the pavement, with a couple of steps up to the door. I have a vague feeling it had dark green doors.

I can confirm that the Salvation Army was definately in the High Street some distance from Station Ro0ad. There was nowhere that I am aware of where it could have been in Station Road. The passageway which lead through to Metchley Road at the side of the Salvation Army is still there at the side of M & S. As mentioned above it was end on to the High Street and stretched about half way back along the passage. Most likely place for a photo would be Harborne Public Library as they have an extensive collection of photos there.

I keep thinking it was in that building, the clock tower, am i dreaming, it was certainly somewhere near there,

Liz
It was on that side of the road, but about 100 yards towards town - where M&S is now. I'll have a hunt through my Harborne books to see if there is anything in them

The Clock Tower is still there wrapped up as a Christmas present. Sorry that's my poor joke. It is curently shrouded in scaffolding and sheeting whilst the City Council work out what to do with it. Some minor work on the building showed that it was structually unsafe and could cost millions to repair. It is a listed building so it will have to be repaired.

A picture of the Salvation Army building on Harborne High Street recently appeared in a thread on the forum in “Where is this garage?” Thanks to Phil for this one, see below. The Salvation Army building can be seen to the left of the shop with the open canopy. There was another Salvation Army in Station Road however this was a charity shop opened in a old garage premises, it was there for a short period and unfortunately close a short while ago, see second picture for its location. It was a bit tucked away and not many people Knew it was even there. It’s a pity it closed down, I have had many a bargain from that little hidden gem, perhaps it was a little too hidden.

(Replacement)

Attachments

• high st harborne showing salv army.jpg
    high st harborne showing salv army.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Was the garage the Tonks Garage at the bottom end of the High Street, opposite side to Scarf, the grocers. Haven't lived in Harborne for almost fifty years so I may be getting confused ? My great grandparents and my grandparents lived alongside each other at one time at nos 66 and 68 High Street which I believe is now Barclays Bank and The |Open university building. I will try and find the photos of the houses - they were named St Winifred's and St Margaret's.

It definately was Tonks Garage but whether or not it was then Tonks at the time the photo was taken, I don't know. Until they closed some time c1990 Tonks were dealers for Mazda cars. Anyone got any idea of the date of the photo? The pub at the far end was the Green Man but is not the present building.

I have found the pictures of my ancestors houses at St Margarets, 66 High Street and St Winifreds, 68 High Street, Harborne . It appears that at least the lower part of the High Street was renumbered at some stage. Around 1892 my ancestors were living at nos 46 and 48 High Street and were still at the same addresses in 1908 but by 1913 the same houses had been renumbered to 66 and 68 respectively. These details were found on the Kelly's Directories of Birmingham. Does anyone else have any information?
I have a book of postcards of Harborne in which it shows Tonks garage in 1925 and on the 1940 Kellys the garage address was nos 44 to 52 High Street going up from the Green Man. My ancestors were at 66 and 68 until at least the early part of 1943.

Attachments

• No68 harborne high st A.jpg
    No68 harborne high st A.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for an informative thread as I trace my Higgins folk from Nailing in Belbroughton into the High St of Harborne 1881. 2 stone building in a Stoneyard? and work as a brickies labourer/stonemasons labourer - a trade that would keep many fellas employed in the building boom. William and Fanny Higgins had 10 children resident at CLIFTON COTTAGES and died of infection and exhaustion with the last one age 34yrs!
William's sister, Paradise Higgins married a Gardner John Oxford, and in the census it says they are also living at Clifton Cottages, Greenfield Rd. up until her death in 1921.
William and a couple of his sons made their way towards Selly Oak(where I grew up), probably to building all the public baths, libraries and schools of the era. Its fascinating to follow the paths of my working class kin and glad of the medical progress we have made for the women.
Would love to have info and/or pics.

Albany road harbourne was formely known as green rd [ named changed in 1883 ]

Emerson rd harbourne was formerly known as highfield rd [ named changed in 1897 ]

have a nice day every body best to you all Astonian ;;;;;
Hi, im trying to find out how old the property was i grew up in it was on gordon road .as it always been called gordon road do you know ? and of corse any other info would be brilliant thankypou

A pic of the original Salvation Army Hall next to Tonk's Garage (now I've remembered where it was!) with a horse-drawn Co-Op van outside c1945.

Also a picture I posted on another thread of what is thought to be Harborne Pass House c1968 - on Ravenhurst Road near the corner with the High Street (demolished 1994 for, fittingly, sheltered housing) - where the travelling poor could be put up overnight when the Harborne Workhouse was full. I would be most interested if someone new more about the history of this building.
(Replacement)

Attachments

• Harborne Pass House.Ravenhurst Road near corner   High Street.jpg
    Harborne Pass House.Ravenhurst Road near corner High Street.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 41
  • original Salvation Army Hall next to Tonk's Garage c1945A.jpg
    original Salvation Army Hall next to Tonk's Garage c1945A.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 44
Gosh, Aiden. I don't remember the Pass House - and I must have been passed it dozens of times (I came to Bham in 1975) before it was demolished. I know the location well.

Heres The Royalty around 1950s Paul

I recently donned my anorak (ok maybe just a little snood) and posted some pictures of some early buses in Harborne on the "Midland Read Early Days" thread and David Grain suggested I repost them here too as they may be appreciated for their environment. If anyone as anyothers I'd doubly appreciate seeing them.

First - the Harborne Horse Bus c1900-1905. I like to think the first is located at the bottom of Harborne hill before the big climb and with the passengers alighted. Lead horse looks a bit worse for wear. ?

SEcond pic. pic which is a fave of mine. c1905 Albany Road corner with the newly built Junction pub (1904) on the left. On the near corner of Albany Road was John Collins, china dealer (replaced by Lloyds Bank in 1908 and now a nice pizza place). One the farside corner is the Chemist that was there for over 100 years. The Freemason Hall (Library) is on the right and dead centre is a full-looking Horse Bus

Attachments

• Harborne High St Horse Bus.JPG
    Harborne High St Horse Bus.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 32
  • c1905 Albany Road corner  Junction pub on  left.jpg
    c1905 Albany Road corner Junction pub on left.jpg
    758.5 KB · Views: 34
Back