• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth ?

Sid Walker

knowlegable brummie
Could anyone tell me if around the 1870s Handsworth was in Staffs or Warwickshire. Sid Walker.

Thank you much appreciated Sid

Thank you information noted 21.03.06 Sid.

Someone answered this for me a long while ago - I think it was John Houghton. But I can't remember the answer. I'm sure someone will supply the info quickly though :)

As I am researching Handsworth ancestors at present, I would appreciate knowing when it changed from Warwickshire to Staffordshire or vice versa. Has it happened more than once?

I have never visited this part of England and it's a little tricky trying to make its acquaintance long distance via the web, though this website is really helpful.

Dale in New Zealand

Handsworth had perhaps 1200 years of independent history before it became part of Birmingham in 1911. It was probably first peopled by Anglian folk who came into the area via the River Tame in the C7th and C8th, and who were later part of a tribal confederation called the Tomsaetan, 'Tame~dwellers'. Anglo-Saxon justice and administration were based on a nominal unit of a hundred families, and Handsworth was in the Hundred of Offlow, whose large territory indicates the sparseness of population hereabouts. About 100 A. D., the need to establish a strong defensive system against Danish incursions led to the foundation of shires based on fortress towns, and three of these met in the Tame and Rea valleys. Offlow went to Staffordshire, but Handsworth's neighbours Birmingham, Aston and Witton, became part of Warwickshire
will look for  more later

Dale - if you need any recent photos of Handsworth at any point in your journey I'd be happy to take them for you

Thanks to John Houghton and SuBee for their kind offers - much appreciated. (It's taken a while for me to find my way back here after a fried hard drive episode.)

SuBee, my ancestors lived in Grove Lane, though I am not sure where and I understand it is a long street. They left for New Zealand in 1856. Are there any houses from the pre-1856 era still standing in Grove Lane? A photo of those would be interesting for the descendants to see at our 150th anniversary rennion later this year.

Dale

Dale there are lots of old houses remaining  in Grove Lane, opposite the park, possibly dating back that far, I'm not sure.

Handsworth Grammar School was built in 1862, which still stands at the Soho Road end of Grove Lane.

I will try to take some shots of the houses for you over the weekend

https://www.handsworthhistory.co.uk/handsworth_1e.htm

This is a piece I wrote about Handsworth Baths, which stands on the corner of Grove Lane and Hinstock Road - now converted into residential accomodation - again, not sure of the date of the building though - watch this space

PS - sorry to hear about your HD - hope you didnt loose too much stuff

SuBee, Grove Lane Baths opened on 27th Jan.1907 it even had a Turkish Baths
Photo taken in the late 40's

:angel:

I lived in Handsworth for about ten years with my family after we went to live in Mom's home town. My brothers and I were 'regulars' at Grove Lane swimming Bath's, sometimes spending most of the day there in the school holidays! My late older brother was a swimming attendant there for a while. I remember the walks from my school to the Bath's and I also joined the swimming club on a thursday night and had to leave school about 15minutes before school actually finished for the day. Bliss! As I hated the lesson and loved swimming more!

Hi. Everyone,
Well this is a note for SuBee realy. In In the early 50s I attended Handsworth Technical School before it became part of the general college system. The school as it was I understand is no longer in existance. The old building on the corner of Goldshill Road and Stafford Road is still there though by the look of it from above. Is there any chance on a nice day that you could take a few pictures and post them. The entrance for the boys was on Stafford and as I recall there were some steps leading up into the main doors. This was a great school with excellent masters. I only saw one or two of my class mates after finishing and although it's been 50 years now I still regard my time at HTS. as one of the most important experiences in my life.
Regards.

Rupert i will certainly try - parking is awful in Stafford/Goldshill Road due to Handsworth Technical College students parking on the side streets. I attended the college when I was a Cadet Nurse, to obtain the human Biology 'O' level grade I needed to undertake my nurse training.

Thanks for the 'baths' photo cromwell - I drive past it several times a day and its not reall changed at all

Rupert - the corner of Goldshill Road & Stafford Road - front entrance of The Tech School

Last but not least - Dale

I dont know the dates of these houses on Grove Lane, however they looked the oldest I could find. The pub on the corner of Grove Lane and Oxhill Road has a 1891 plaque on its wall - couldnt take a piccy of 'The Grove' Pub - too many people outside having a pint in the lovely sunshine

Here is a nice picture Oisin took of the Grove Pub and sent me a few weeks ago. O0

Last edited:
I meant to say nice photos Su, I have not been down Grove Lane for over 30 years. :smitten:

Great Photo of The Grove - Oisin and Sakura - they do a smashing car wash on the car park for £2.50

Subee
The picture you took of the baths (The first one ) was nearly on the spot of the one I posted in the 40's
Loved it. Your great With a Camera

The photos were a bit rushed really - as I was on my dinner hour and it was a race against time - The swimming baths one was difficult cus the white van belonged to a company that was cleaning the stonework of the baths, I didnt particularly want it in the photo and I also didnt want to capture the workers on the photo incase they objected........so it wasnt the exact angle I had wished for

My dad went to Handsworth Grammar in the 1920's and he also went to Rookery Road junior school. Lived at 134 Newcombe Road Handsworth.

he would have known my grandparents and possibly my Mom and aunts living at 113 Newcombe road it was the fish and chip shop

We lived sort of opposite to the Town Hall and rerember the Grove pub well - because the bus stop was there! My story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks Postie and SuBee, unfortunately I keep getting a note that says that I am not allowed to download the attachment. Is there something I am doing wrong.
Regards.

Back