• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth ?

I meant to say nice photos Su, I have not been down Grove Lane for over 30 years. :smitten:

Great Photo of The Grove - Oisin and Sakura - they do a smashing car wash on the car park for £2.50

Subee
The picture you took of the baths (The first one ) was nearly on the spot of the one I posted in the 40's
Loved it. Your great With a Camera

The photos were a bit rushed really - as I was on my dinner hour and it was a race against time - The swimming baths one was difficult cus the white van belonged to a company that was cleaning the stonework of the baths, I didnt particularly want it in the photo and I also didnt want to capture the workers on the photo incase they objected........so it wasnt the exact angle I had wished for

My dad went to Handsworth Grammar in the 1920's and he also went to Rookery Road junior school. Lived at 134 Newcombe Road Handsworth.

he would have known my grandparents and possibly my Mom and aunts living at 113 Newcombe road it was the fish and chip shop

We lived sort of opposite to the Town Hall and rerember the Grove pub well - because the bus stop was there! My story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks Postie and SuBee, unfortunately I keep getting a note that says that I am not allowed to download the attachment. Is there something I am doing wrong.
Regards.

Handsworth is so full of trees, and they compliment the lovely old buildings. We drove through last year to go past Brian's grans old house, when the trees were in full leaf. Sue, your pictures show Handsworth in all its glory. :)

Your right of course Di - however I couldnt help but curse them when I was trying to find the best angle to take the photos.

I have to say - and it may only be my perception, there seems less trees than there used to be. The greenary on the left hand side of the terraced house photo, is of course the Grove Lane side of Handsworth Park - thats the entrance I recall using when the scouts held their annual events there.

Hi. SuBee,
Many thanks for the pic's. Brings back old memories. The old place is still there maybe a bit the worse for wear though. When I was there as a boy, gees, half a century ago, our entrance was on the opposite side to the entrance in your pictures. There was a bit of a courtyard there for the boys to gather in before the bell rang. Seem to remember there was a fire station too. However at home time my friends and I would walk past the fornt of the building to the left in your picture. Further along Goldshill we would turn right down to Soho Road and run around the corner for a bus. Often we would leap onto the platform at the back and our satchells would swing around an slap up against the back of the bus. Wish I could do that now. Probably wouldn't but I wish I could. Too bad Snow Hill ststion has not fared so well. I am very grateful.
Regards.

When i was a lad my parents used to take me on the outer circle bus to

Handsworth park, and i remember that there used to be a house

somewhere near to the entrance with my name on it. 'Neville House'.

I wonder if its still there?

regards Neville..

It's still there as far as I know Neville - not sure if the name's the same though. It was used by the park superintendent. My stepfather used to do the floral clock and other displays near that house.

I used to like watching the trains passing through there, nice to know
the house appears to be still there also.

regards Neville..

Wasn't it great running from one side to the other on the bridge and getting covered in steam?

Had my first experience of steam with my Dad holding me up to see over
the rail bridge on Soho Road, been hooked ever since.

regards Neville..

Back