• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth ?

Handsworth is so full of trees, and they compliment the lovely old buildings. We drove through last year to go past Brian's grans old house, when the trees were in full leaf. Sue, your pictures show Handsworth in all its glory. :)

Your right of course Di - however I couldnt help but curse them when I was trying to find the best angle to take the photos.

I have to say - and it may only be my perception, there seems less trees than there used to be. The greenary on the left hand side of the terraced house photo, is of course the Grove Lane side of Handsworth Park - thats the entrance I recall using when the scouts held their annual events there.

Hi. SuBee,
Many thanks for the pic's. Brings back old memories. The old place is still there maybe a bit the worse for wear though. When I was there as a boy, gees, half a century ago, our entrance was on the opposite side to the entrance in your pictures. There was a bit of a courtyard there for the boys to gather in before the bell rang. Seem to remember there was a fire station too. However at home time my friends and I would walk past the fornt of the building to the left in your picture. Further along Goldshill we would turn right down to Soho Road and run around the corner for a bus. Often we would leap onto the platform at the back and our satchells would swing around an slap up against the back of the bus. Wish I could do that now. Probably wouldn't but I wish I could. Too bad Snow Hill ststion has not fared so well. I am very grateful.
Regards.

When i was a lad my parents used to take me on the outer circle bus to

Handsworth park, and i remember that there used to be a house

somewhere near to the entrance with my name on it. 'Neville House'.

I wonder if its still there?

regards Neville..

It's still there as far as I know Neville - not sure if the name's the same though. It was used by the park superintendent. My stepfather used to do the floral clock and other displays near that house.

I used to like watching the trains passing through there, nice to know
the house appears to be still there also.

regards Neville..

Wasn't it great running from one side to the other on the bridge and getting covered in steam?

Had my first experience of steam with my Dad holding me up to see over
the rail bridge on Soho Road, been hooked ever since.

regards Neville..

NEVILLE,
I WOULD THINK THE NEAREST ENTRANCE TO THE OUTER CIRCLE BUS WOULD BE THE ENTRANCE OPPOSITE THE ENDWOOD PUB,IN BETWEEN THE CEMETERY (ST MARY'S) AND THE RAILWAY,OR HINSTOCK ROAD ENTRANCE.
OFF CAUSE IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE TO GET OFF THE BUS WHERE BOLTON ROAD MEETS THE MAIN ROAD,THEN YOU WOULD WALK DOWN DAWSON ROAD INTO GROVE LANE AND ENTER THE PARK OPPOSITE DOUGLAS ROAD.
THE PARK IS BETTER THAN IT USED TO BE,EVEN THOUGH I DID SEE AN ARTICLE IN THE LOCAL PAPER STATING "RETURNED TO ITS FORMER GLORY", ITS NOT HOW I REMEMBER IT AS A CHILD IN THE 40s,WHERE ARE ALL THE TENNIS COURTS, CLAY AND GRASS, AND BOWLING GREENS.
EVEN SO WELL DONE TO ALL THE PEOPLE INVOLVED IN BRINGING THE IMPROVEMENT TO THE PARK,YOU ALL DESERVE A PAT ON THE BACK.
FROM SOMEBODY WHO REMEMBERS HAPPY MEMORIES OF HANDSWORTH.
REGARDS. ALAN (HELP THE AGED)

From what I see there are entrances to the park on Grove Lane, Holly Road and Hampstead Road, and if i recall 'Neville House' was on one of
those.

But, it is nearly sixty years ago since i visited the park and things will
no doubt have changed somewhat in that time.

I am certain that the house i remember was outside the grounds of
the park.

Must be about time i paid a visit it sounds as though a lot of hard
work has been carried out, so well done to all involved...

regards
Neville..

Hello neville,
there was also an entrance in hinstock road, and as i say if you came from perry barr on the bus your dad may have taken you into the park opposite the endwood pub.
U am posh havin an ouse named after yow.
My friends and myself where always "down the park" in the school holidays,never any trouble,fishing in the pool,then a picnic,never washed our hands,just straight into our jam sandwiches and cold tea i can taste it now.
Never thought how long ago it was until you mentioned 60 years,my mother took me during the war i would guess about 1940 until i was old enough to go with my friends,you would be very foolish sending children by themselves in todays world.
Happy memories neville.
Kind regards.
Alan (help the aged)

Hi Alan and Neville

I grew up in Handsworth and was always in the Park. Did you ever go to the Hollygate Cafe, in Holly Road? We were in there regularly. Always went to Grove Lane baths on a Sunday morning, then through the park and into the Hollygate. 1940s/1950s.

What memories I have of the park: Fishing in the boating lake for tiddlers, Park Shows, Bands, Talent Contests, Scouts Jamboree's, meeting friends and boyfriends, Flower Shows, I could go on and on. Like you, we used to spent nearly all day there, like you, and no-one ever worried about us - never had to in those days.

Judy

Hello judy,
hope you are well,i too went swimming sunday mornings (last session) but my journey home took me up grove lane to the woodbine pub (next to the grammer bugs school) i blame the chlorine.
If my memory serves me right the cafe owner had a son who thought he was the bee's knee's.
I notice one of the names you are researching "hanson" there was a girl named iris hanson who went to sunday school same time as me, union row methodist church (which was bought by asian worshippers) unfortunately there was a fire,nothing could be saved,now there is a nice shiny temple in its place,i often wonder what happened to the graves at the side of the church which was turned into a car park.
If you get the chance to visit handsworth (dont) just remember the happy times you had as a child.
I will now get off my high horse and wish you well.
Kind regards.
Alan (help the aged)

Hi Alan - you made laugh about the chlorine in the water at the swimming baths sending you to the pub!! Well I was too young for the pub in those days, would have been about 14/15 when we went swimming on Sunday mornings at Grove Lane. Also used to have school swimming lessons there once a week.

I don't remember the owner's son from the Hollygate - what was his name? Names I remember from those days are Trevor Cooper, David Bickley, Hartland Robins, Maurice Eccleston, George Reed, John Rowe, Brian (Trob) Roberts, John Perfect, Eddie Cart Veronica Winkle, Margaret Hodgson, Jean Thomas.

My mother was a Hanson, but I don't know of an Iris.

I did go back to Handsworth some years ago, and it had changed beyond all recognition!

Judy

90,000 Sikhs join Vaisakhi celebrations at Handsworth Park. With thanks to the Birmingham Mail. Len.

Apr 26 2010
the-procession-with-the-temple-guards-at-the-front-leaving-from-smethwick-893301392.jpg

AROUND 90,000 Sikhs packed Handsworth Park as part of an annual celebration to remember the birth of their faith.
The Birmingham event was one of the largest Vaisakhi parties in the world and kicked off at 10am with two huge processions from the temples in Hockley and Smethwick.
Each parade was led by five Sikhs in traditional dress who represented the original Panj Pyare (Beloved Ones) who were the first to join the Sikh order over 300 years ago.
The processions arrived to a fantastic festive atmosphere in the park, where families enjoyed live music, dancing and craft stalls. Later, hungry visitors enjoyed the best Punjabi food thanks to a delicious Langar – a free vegetarian feast.
The 90,000 visitors beat last year’s attendance figures of more than 80,000.
Coun Martin Mullaney said: “Birmingham’s vibrant Vaisakhi festival shows how people come together in the city to celebrate their cultural identity.
“As part of a calendar of diverse community events it is a great example of why Birmingham has been shortlisted for UK City of Culture 2010.”
The theme of this year’s event was ‘Proud to be Sikh, Proud to be British’ and Ranjit Singh Dhanda, chair of the Council of Sikh Gurdwaras, said it was an appropriate theme to celebrate the richness and diversity of Birmingham.

My grandfather Arthur Taylor had a shop on Rookery Road around 1910ish has anyone idea what the address would be and who lived there, or was it just shop? Thanks in advance.

Nor listed in the 1904, 1908, 1912 or 1921 directories,but have found there are some small shops not included in these.
M ike

Thanks Bren - I saw my 97 year old aunt Nell yesterday and she was born 1913 and she said they lived in Headingley Road and they had a shop at Rookery Road, so presumably it must have been after 1911 census. Is there anything for Avenue Road in Handsworth where my father (Alfred) was born 1910? The family do go back to being shopkeepers (grocers) originally on 2 Lichfield Road, Aston in 1871

Regards carolina x

what a small world
i grew up in winson green on the handsworth new road in the 70's
i went to foundry road junior and infants school and used grove lane swimming baths with the school
played in black patch park summerfield park and handsworth park
i remember a few of the pubs round handsworth and winson that my dad drank in

i didnt relise till i started doing my family tree that my grandparents and great grandparents lived in handsworth as i never knew them growing up

just gose to show what a small world we live in

Hello
I've just found this site and it looks terrific. I was born and lived in Handsworth until I moved to Australia in 1970. I lived in Farnham Road and attended Rookery Road school then King Edward Vi grammar school in Rose Hill Road. I spent a great deal of time in Sandwell Park. Does anyone know how I can access Rookery Road school records so that I can add them to my history search?

Rose

Hi Alan - you made laugh about the chlorine in the water at the swimming baths sending you to the pub!! Well I was too young for the pub in those days, would have been about 14/15 when we went swimming on Sunday mornings at Grove Lane. Also used to have school swimming lessons there once a week.

I don't remember the owner's son from the Hollygate - what was his name? Names I remember from those days are Trevor Cooper, David Bickley, Hartland Robins, Maurice Eccleston, George Reed, John Rowe, Brian (Trob) Roberts, John Perfect, Eddie Cart Veronica Winkle, Margaret Hodgson, Jean Thomas.

My mother was a Hanson, but I don't know of an Iris.

I did go back to Handsworth some years ago, and it had changed beyond all recognition!

Judy
Hello Judy, I think that John Rowe may be my uncle. I remember (I think) him talking about someone called 'Trob'

Hello Judy, I think that John Rowe may be my uncle. I remember (I think) him talking about someone called 'Trob'
Just saw this site...........I believe I knew the name John Perfect. Not sure from where but seems familiar as I grew up in Handsworth and spent many hours at Grove Lane swimming.

I was still in touch with John up to a couple of years ago. If it's the same person he was a teacher at Rookery Road School. One of his best friends back when we were teenagers was Trob - Brian Roberts.
Judy

Just saw this site...........I believe I knew the name John Perfect. Not sure from where but seems familiar as I grew up in Handsworth and spent many hours at Grove Lane swimming.
Hi Richard. John Perfect was a friend of mine back in the 50s and we are still in touch. I don't remember him going to Grove Lane Baths, but like many of us he spent a lot of time in Handsworth Park. He went to Grammar School and then to Art School if that helps.
Judy

Hi Richard. John Perfect was a friend of mine back in the 50s and we are still in touch. I don't remember him going to Grove Lane Baths, but like many of us he spent a lot of time in Handsworth Park. He went to Grammar School and then to Art School if that helps.
Judy
I think it might have been from the park or might be someone else. The timing would be right.

Thank you!

Back