• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

handsworth and other memories

hi sue, as you go through the main gates of handsworth park, just to the left hand side used to be a sort of field surrounded by an hedgerow. it was in there where our substantial family used to picnic....afterwards, it was the obligatory rowing boats on the lake.......there was a yearly event that took place, cant remember what it was called now, but the next morning we would all pile up to the park and sift through all the bits and bobs that had been left behind or lost. mostly we would find something..great stuff!.................................bobbo

Hi Bobbo
I used to do the same after the Highland Gathering. They had a fair, and although I was only little, my train of thought was as people were getting on and off the ride, in all the excitement, they were bound to drop some money. Invariably that was the case, and I also found discarded prizes from the stalls. The earlier you got there the better. I used to go on my own as I was mean like that... Kids eh. I had forgotten that until you mentioned it. Wasn't it safe in those days just to take yourself off on your own. I must have been 8, 9 maybe 10. Couldn't do that now.
Sue

Hi. Have loved reading all these stories, it brings back memories. I grew up in handsworth in the 1940 and50's. I loved it I went to Rookery rd school woodville and Wattville rd My first job was at Hopes Heating, then at the Northern aluminium, my favourite haunt was the WBA football ground, also the albion and regal cinemas. Spent a lot of evenings with friends at island rd park During school years, I married in 1958 at st James. I don't live in handsworth now, but get back to Bham occasionally. Wasn't it a lovely shopping area. My job on a Saturday was to fetch a loaf from Baines bakery at the New Inns.
Valerieexbrummie

Hi What year were they at Woodville school, I was there from abt 1947 -1949/50 I lived in Lawnswood FGrove off Island Rd
From Valerieexbrummie

Hi Lyn
We used to go and get frog spawn from the lake and take it back to school - when they were teaching us about frogs. I enjoyed it so much - I keep tadpoles now - got loads of the things.
We also used to paint the leaves that we had picked up in the park, for our art lessons. All at Grove Lane school (Dawson Road now). It was the Willow trees that fascinated me especially being by the cemetary- it all seemed very spooky indeed. So when I went to the park in March, I had to see whether the Willows were still there- of course they were.
Sue
hiLyn, just reading your memories of handsworth, I went to grove lane school untill 1961 ,then went to handswrth wood girls school. I lived in Baker street. Lovely reading all these memories of handworth, it was a great place to live happy memories.

Back