• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HANCOX' of Aston, Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield and Smethwick

T

the_trendy_teacher

Firstly thanks for taking the time to click on this message and read it :D

I am interested in making contact with anyone who has any links to or information of my ancestors... Here are the Hancox' on my family tree that I have found located in the Midlands. Please take a moment to check through and see if you can spot anyone...

Mine are:
GENERATION 3
DOUGLAS ALFRED HANCOX B 25 Nov 1930 18 Exeter Square, SMETHWICK :!:
Frederick Charles HANCOX B 10 Aug 1917, Ladywood, BIRMINGHAM
Leslie Stanley HANCOX B 11 Jan 1920, SMETHWICK
Dorothy Audrey HANCOX B 24 Jan 1922, OLDBURY
Ronald Norman HANCOX B 10 Jan 1925, 16 Holland Road, COVENTRY
Cyril Robert HANCOX B 5 Apr 1929 18 Exeter Square, SMETHWICK
Raymond Edward HANCOX B 12 July 1936, WEST BROMWICH
Valerie Joy HANCOX B 22 Jan 1944, 5 Broomfield Place, SMETHWICK
Jean Florence HANCOX B 29 Dec 1947, 5 Broomfield Place, SMETHWICK

GENERATION 4
REUBEN HANCOX B 22 Aug 1896, 7 Summer Bldgs, Cape Street, BIRMINGHAM :!:
Frederick Charles HANCOX B 16 Jul 1894, 7 Summer Bldgs, Cape Street, BIRMINGHAM
James Edward HANCOX B 13 Jul 1912, 92, Pool Road, SMETHWICK
Mercy Winifred HANCOX B 14 Dec 1917, 92, Pool Road, SMETHWICK
Hilda May HANCOX B 9 May 1920, 92, Pool Road, SMETHWICK
Dorothy Ethel HANCOX B 9 Jan 1922, 92, Pool Road, SMETHWICK
Jessie Irene HANCOX B 18 Aug 1923, 92, Pool Road, SMETHWICK
Florence Gertrude HANCOX B 17 Sept 1926, 77 Dudley Road, Cape Hill, SMETHWICK
Arthur Stanley HANCOX B 3 Sep 1932, 77 Dudley Road, Cape Hill, SMETHWICK
Kenneth Frank HANCOX B 8 Feb 1938, St Chad's Hospital, BIRMINGHAM

GENERATION 5
FREDERICK HENRY HANCOX B 4 Oct 1872, 5 Cape Street, ALL SAINTS, BIRMINGHAM :!:
William Arthur Joseph HANCOX B 20 Apr 1876, 5 Cape Street, All Saints, BIRMINGHAM
Charles Edgar HANCOX B 27 Dec 1877, 5 Thomas Bldgs, Cape Street, All Saints, BIRMINGHAM *
Hannah Maria HANCOX B 3 Oct 1879, 5 Thomas Bldgs, Cape Street, All Saints, BIRMINGHAM
James Edward HANCOX B 28 Nov 1882, 5 Thomas Buildings, Cape Street, All Saints, BIRMINGHAM **

*Charles Edgar HANCOX' Children...
Charles HANCOX - date and place of birth unknown - family home was Woodland Street, SMETHWICK
Sylvia HANCOX - date and place of birth unknown - family home was Woodland Street, SMETHWICK
(Female) HANCOX - name, date and place of birth unknown - family home was Woodland Street, SMETHWICK

**James Edward HANCOX' Children...
Winnifred (Winnie) HANCOX who married a Mr Ellis - other details unknown.

GENERATION 6
FREDERICK GAMESON HANCOX B 3 Jun 1851 WALSALL ROAD, ASTON MANOR :!:
Elizabeth HANCOX B 9 Jan 1845, Walsall Road, ASTON MANOR
Henry HANCOX B 30 Aug 1847, Walsall Road, ASTON MANOR
Charles HANCOX B 23 Mar 1849, Walsall Road, ASTON MANOR***
Hannah Maria HANCOX B 8 Dec 1856, 92 Ryland Road, Edgbaston, BIRMINGHAM

***Charles HANCOX' Children...
Minnie Gertrude HANCOX B 15 Oct 1878, 22 Johnson Street, Duddeston, Aston
Leonard John HANCOX B 1884 - per census, unable to find birth certificate so far.
Charles Henry HANCOX B 4 Feb 1891, 31 Rupert Street, Duddeston, Aston

GENERATION 7
HENRY HANCOX B 2 Feb 1817, BIRMINGHAM :!:
Harriet HANCOX B 17 Jan 1812, SUTTON COLDFIELD
Jane HANCOX B 19 Aug 1813, SUTTON COLDFIELD

GENERATION 8
CHARLES HANCOX B C1795 :!:

GENERATION 9
THOMAS HANCOX :!:

Please let me know if you think you have any links, pics or info on any of the above or their ancestors/descendents... I am happy to share what I have to date too... :wink:

Good luck with your searching...

Sue

I've found some more Hancox's on the 1911 census and I just wanted to post on here to see if you know of them?
William Hancox (Head) age 50, occupation;Packing case maker.
Ellen Hancox (Wife) age 49.
William Hancox (Son) age 17, occupation;Electro Plate Polisher.
Henry Hancox (Son) age 11.
Marion Hancox (Daughter) age 9.
Address; No3 Back 173, Unett St, Birmingham.

i dont know if any of these help or not but have found the following at st.martins

the baptism of henry son of charles and elizabeth (i know you already have dates etc) but extra info is abode park street and occ victualler

there is also a marriage of a charles hancox to elizabeth shipley on 5.11.1817 think this cannot be yours though as just a little late but have a look at it.

bap. charles son of thomas and harriott hancox 5.1.1798

sorry if you already have all this but posted just in case :)

Hi I know this might not help but my great grandfather was Henry Edward Hancox I think he lived in Wheeler Street and was born in the the late 1800's I am also looking for information about him I think his wife was called Nellie my maiden name is Hancox

My maiden name is Hancox. All my family are from Aston, Hockley area oh and Perry Barr. My grandad lived in Unett Street had brothers called Rueben, Henry and I think a sister too, around 1900. Wheeler St our Ma use to lodge with a group of girls who she worked with at Lucas in the late 40's and met my dad at one of their dances. My grandad had a deep dimple and his father & mother's names was William & Ellen Hancox, my grandad was also called William and yes you've guessed it, my dad's called William and my eldest brother is too.

Oh I forgot to say, I think there was a mention of an Alan Hancox. The sister married someone called Morgan as my dad grew up with his cousin called Morris Morgan who served in the forces during ww2 and was tank corp?

My maiden name is Hancox. All my family are from Aston, Hockley area oh and Perry Barr. My grandad lived in Unett Street had brothers called Rueben, Henry and I think a sister too, around 1900. Wheeler St our Ma use to lodge with a group of girls who she worked with at Lucas in the late 40's and met my dad at one of their dances. My grandad had a deep dimple and his father & mother's names was William & Ellen Hancox, my grandad was also called William and yes you've guessed it, my dad's called William and my eldest brother is too.
My dad is also William Hancox son of Hector Hancox Wheeler St, so was my G grandad and his dad and so on

Last edited:
Marina you don't give any dates but the only Hector Hancox I can find with any contacts to Wheeler street is Hector Gordon Hancox b 1900(not the son of a William) the son of Arthur Henry and Ada Eliza (Shaw)
they were in Wheeler street in 1901 and again in 1911 although then Ada was a widow , Arthur
died in 3rd qtr 1902 age 29 and Ada gave birth to a son Ernest in the last qtr 1902 .
Hector is with his mother in Wheeler Street in 1939 he is a widower.
He married Mabel Conway in Plymouth in 1923 and Mabel died in Birmingham in 1938
I believe their children to be
Peggy M 1924
Arthur GR 1928
June F 1930
William E P 1934

Hector G Hancox remarried in 1944 to Ellen Studley I believe she was a widow formerly Knight
If this is your Hancox family William married Susan Chambers in 1964.

Last edited:
Marina you don't give any dates but the only Hector Hancox I can find with any contacts to Wheeler street is Hector Gordon Hancox b 1900(not the son of a William) the son of Arthur Henry and Ada Eliza (Shaw)
they were in Wheeler street in 1901 and again in 1911 although then Ada was a widow , Arthur
died in 3rd qtr 1902 age 29 and Ada gave birth to a son Ernest in the last qtr 1902 .
He married Mabel Conway in Plymouth in 1923 and Mabel died in Birmingham in 1938
Peggy M 1924
Arthur GR 1928
June F 1930
William E P 1934

Hector G Hancox remarried in 1944 to Ellen Studley I believe she was a widow formerly Knight
Yes that's right my dad is William E P he was adopted when his mother died ( Mabel Hancox) and Hector had a new wife who i believe was reluctant to take on his family I managed to reunite dad with June but sadly Arthur and Peggy had passed away i am still working on my family tree the Hancox is going welll but the Conways not so good because Mabel was left without her mother when she died just after giving birth to her ... it's a roller coaster of emotions and i get from being so excited to crying for people so close to me that suffered so much .. Thank you very much for replying

Peggy M 1924
Arthur GR 1928
June F 1930
William E P 1934

If this is your Hancox family William married Susan Chambers in 1964.
The right family but William E P is my dad and was adopted so Married my Mam in 1954 in Wales and not Susan Chambers

Oh I forgot to say, I think there was a mention of an Alan Hancox. The sister married someone called Morgan as my dad grew up with his cousin called Morris Morgan who served in the forces during ww2 and was tank corp?
May I ask whether William and Ellen Hancox had a daughter called Agnes (b 1879 ?) as she was my great grandmother ?

There was an Agnes Hancox registered Mar qtr 1879 in Birmingham. She was the youngest daughter of a William Hancox and an Ellen Cole. They married 28 Sep 1858 at St Martin's.

Thank you could be the same Agnes, my great grandmother was born in 1879 and married William Henry Hinett in 1899. She died in 1954 and is buried in the Hinett family grave in Witton Cemetery.

Seems likely, they married at St James, Ashted on 25 Dec 1899. Agnes's father is listed as William.

There doesn't appear to be any other Agnes it could be.

May I ask whether William and Ellen Hancox had a daughter called Agnes (b 1879 ?) as she was my great grandmother ?
I just had a quick look at my tree and i think i have William Elen and Agnes i know i have the census saved for them so will check later when i have more time

Back