• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

H W Wards Lathe Makers, Selly Oak. Any ex Apprentices out there?

Hello, I wasn’t an apprentice but joined H.W.Ward in 1973 as company photographer, based in Dale Rd, Selly Oak. I used to take all photos of every lathe and components for our manuals and would commute between Selly Oak and Worcester to take the location pictures, then develop the prints and finally re touch them for the manuals. Does anyone remember Harold Hazard? Great boss and manager ( a Dunkirk veteran). Edward Williams was the Chairman and I remember working with Edgar Powell, Gordon Dobson, Henri Thorneloe, Brian Queenborough, Phil Luke and countless others in both factories. Sadly was made redundant in 1981 and had to drastically change career course. Best days of my life, great people, great company and I feel great pride when I see my photos have been seen all over the world.
Hi

I am planning on documenting Worcesters’ lost industrial heritage. HW Ward were an important employer there and it is sad to see so much of it disappear. I’m a member of the Changing Face of Worcester (CFOW) which records old Worcester by posting the thousands of archive photos in our procession onto the website and describing them to aid web searches. As a photographer, I was wondering if you managed to keep any record of the HW Ward products, the people and the Worcester location. Old trade catalogues are always worth scanning and posting to the site. Thanks in anticipation…

Hi

I am planning on documenting Worcesters’ lost industrial heritage. HW Ward were an important employer there and it is sad to see so much of it disappear. I’m a member of the Changing Face of Worcester (CFOW) which records old Worcester by posting the thousands of archive photos in our procession onto the website and describing them to aid web searches. As a photographer, I was wondering if you managed to keep any record of the HW Ward products, the people and the Worcester location. Old trade catalogues are always worth scanning and posting to the site. Thanks in anticipation…
Stefan, welcome to The Forum! I think your work is very worthwhile. I had nothing to do with the company other than using their lathes in my apprenticeship.

Hi everyone! I was apprenticed from 1968 to 1972 when the ERTO (will Hurto) scheme saw lots of us
down the road! I am still in regular contact with Malcolm Davies (734) and have seen Tony Gough over the
years at the Blues! I remember the Training School (In the old Ariel works?) working on the Screw, Saddles,
Inspection and Drawing Office. After Wards I was taken on by British Aluminium in Redditch and was able to
finish my HNC at North Birmingham Poly. I trained as a Design Teacher in 1974 at St. Peters College, Saltley
and then taught very briefly at Turves Green Boys School.
Lots of funny moments I recall! Remember the Nurse/First Aid Lady? Her Room was up two high steps and
I tripped going in and arrived headlong on the floor.She indignantly told me to go back outside and knock!
How about the day decimal currency arrived and the absolute chaos in the Canteen. Was the Gate Keeper named
Ron Clay? (No relation) He was introduced to us by Phil Luke as going to tell us all about clocking in and out procedures.
He simply said "No Cards, No Pay" and left!
Been retired a few years now but I guess I could find some rusty whitworth spanners & taps somewhere in the shed!
Peter Clay (729)

Hi everyone! I was apprenticed from 1968 to 1972 when the ERTO (will Hurto) scheme saw lots of us
down the road! I am still in regular contact with Malcolm Davies (734) and have seen Tony Gough over the
years at the Blues! I remember the Training School (In the old Ariel works?) working on the Screw, Saddles,
Inspection and Drawing Office. After Wards I was taken on by British Aluminium in Redditch and was able to
finish my HNC at North Birmingham Poly. I trained as a Design Teacher in 1974 at St. Peters College, Saltley
and then taught very briefly at Turves Green Boys School.
Lots of funny moments I recall! Remember the Nurse/First Aid Lady? Her Room was up two high steps and
I tripped going in and arrived headlong on the floor.She indignantly told me to go back outside and knock!
How about the day decimal currency arrived and the absolute chaos in the Canteen. Was the Gate Keeper named
Ron Clay? (No relation) He was introduced to us by Phil Luke as going to tell us all about clocking in and out procedures.
He simply said "No Cards, No Pay" and left!
Been retired a few years now but I guess I could find some rusty whitworth spanners & taps somewhere in the shed!
Peter Clay (729)
Peter, welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

Back