• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

H W Wards Lathe Makers, Selly Oak. Any ex Apprentices out there?

Hi
Hi David. Thanks for the reply to my post. We must have crossed paths at some point during my trips to Worcester. OK on the point that Droitwich was not part of your responsibility. Goodness, it must of been heart breaking being involved with winding up the company. Many years have passed so memories of people & events do fade. I am sure that HTL in Brentwood had a 7D auto for a period of time, having been good a customer for some years. This probably prompted me to raise the subject of the Droitwich facility. The late 70's brought about dramatic changes to industry with so many customers declining & subsequently closing. This was so very true of the south of England. Wishing you good health, it was a privilege to have both worked for H W Ward.

Hi Essex Derek,
Good to hear from you.I am wondering when our paths crossed, I am sorry but your name does not ring any bells.Who else do you remember, I realise that it is 39 years since Wards ceased to function.
Thea assets were purchased, I can't remember by whom, but they continued to supply spares and probably still do .
It was a privilege to work for the Company which was such an important part of the British machine tool industry.
I will look forward to hearing further from you.
David Godwin

Hello, I wasn’t an apprentice but joined H.W.Ward in 1973 as company photographer, based in Dale Rd, Selly Oak. I used to take all photos of every lathe and components for our manuals and would commute between Selly Oak and Worcester to take the location pictures, then develop the prints and finally re touch them for the manuals. Does anyone remember Harold Hazard? Great boss and manager ( a Dunkirk veteran). Edward Williams was the Chairman and I remember working with Edgar Powell, Gordon Dobson, Henri Thorneloe, Brian Queenborough, Phil Luke and countless others in both factories. Sadly was made redundant in 1981 and had to drastically change career course. Best days of my life, great people, great company and I feel great pride when I see my photos have been seen all over the world.

Hello, I wasn’t an apprentice but joined H.W.Ward in 1973 as company photographer, based in Dale Rd, Selly Oak. I used to take all photos of every lathe and components for our manuals and would commute between Selly Oak and Worcester to take the location pictures, then develop the prints and finally re touch them for the manuals. Does anyone remember Harold Hazard? Great boss and manager ( a Dunkirk veteran). Edward Williams was the Chairman and I remember working with Edgar Powell, Gordon Dobson, Henri Thorneloe, Brian Queenborough, Phil Luke and countless others in both factories. Sadly was made redundant in 1981 and had to drastically change career course. Best days of my life, great people, great company and I feel great pride when I see my photos have been seen all over the world.
Max, welcome to The Forum a great place with super folks! Enjoy

Not an apprentice personally but my Grandfather worked at Wards at Selly Oak all of his working life. I think he was there from around 1923 until his death in 1978, he worked a few years past his retirement age. I have a picture of him receiving his 50 year service watch some where from one of the Ward family. His name was Jack Dalton.

Not an apprentice personally but my Grandfather worked at Wards at Selly Oak all of his working life. I think he was there from around 1923 until his death in 1978, he worked a few years past his retirement age. I have a picture of him receiving his 50 year service watch some where from one of the Ward family. His name was Jack Dalton.
Martin, welcome to the Forum! Enjoy!

I was an apprentice from 1967-1972 the best memories, I went through the training center too, I remember Phil Luke being in charge, after the trading period I started on the lower caps, Ronnie Bass was the guy in charge, carried on through most areas from there ending up in the fitting area, top shop, I’ve attached a picture that Tony Gough sent a few years back hopefully you will remember a few of these faces,

Attachments

• 108e1d36-31ed-4da8-a1fc-8cc33284ae05.jpeg
    108e1d36-31ed-4da8-a1fc-8cc33284ae05.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 9
Hello Phil, I was a technical apprentice from 1967 to 1971, when I shortened the apprenticeship to 4 years so that I could take a job at the Worcester plant. I remember Phil Luke very well. Having recently left school I remember being told off by him for calling him sir! My first placement on the shop floor was on the screw section, which was run by a section leader called Bass, but I can't remember his first name. The labourer was called Johnny. After that I too was on the 7D section under Harry Woodward. The big day came for me to take the lead in lowering a turret saddle on to a bed. Despite great care, when the saddle was moved along the bed there was an awful noise and it was scratched! Harry was far from impressed as the machine had to be stripped so that the bed could be reground! I had a placement in R&D and I remember Edgar Powell and Dilip Chawathe very well. Dilip was very bright. I think I also remember Steve Pitman. Was he an apprentice that the company had sponsored through university? You must have been in R&D when I was there. I went to work in the drawing office at Worcester and was part of the team that designed the tooling for the 10D Autoward. I left the company in 1973 to work on light commercial vehicles at British Leyland, Longbridge. I have many happy memories of H W Ward, both in Selly Oak and Worcester. I remember fellow apprentices, Trevor Hemus and Neil Buffery, who bought a house near where I was living in 1975.
Denis, I remember Trevor Hemus and Neil Buffery, the last I heard Trevor Hemus he was working in Germany, Neil I lost contact with, I still stay in touch with Tony Gough,

Hi to all the H W Wards family, I served my apprenticeship 1966 to 1971. My training officer was Phil Luke, good man. I had my machine shop training, remember Ron Bass well, good man and I had the fitting bench training. I spent time in Design Office and Jig & Tool/process planning Office. After Selly Oak closed went to Worcester before moving on. Everyday at Selly Oak we played football. I became a member of the table tennis team playing in the local league. I remember quite a lot of the names mentioned and stayed friends with personal friends on FB. Wards was recognised as a quality Engineering Company with the apprenticeship scheme being one of the best. Retired and happy with lots of great memories. Roger
(Other names remembered - Sue and Paul Coleman, Roger Parish, Malcolm Day, Roger Harris, Dickie Page, Bob Williams, Jim Salmons?
Roger, I remember you, how have you been after all these years, a few names I remember, Ian Dywell, Dave Tyres, Ritchie Hall, the Burbridge twins, Alex Desmonds, Phil Woods, Harry Bluette ( Caps ) lead man, Tony Gough, and many more,

Hi All. I have just got a mail from Pete McCreary introducing your forum...Are there any ex Ward apprentices out there..where do I start...what about at the beginning. All those names out there must remember ALBERT MORGAN he was the progress chaser. When Albert finished his National Service in 1955 he was jobless ( after working for Langs Brushes). He played football for Weoley Castle where Bill Kenney was the chairman ( Bill bored the turrets on a big 10 at Wards ), Bill got Albert a job at Wards. Albert was there from 1955 to the sad end! How do I know all this, Albert married my sister in 1958 ( when I was 5!). Albert sadly passed away last year at 85. I am sitting in Albert's house , visiting with my sister in Headless Cross, Redditch right now mailing this. My name is Tony Gough and I started at Wards on 5th August 1968 ( aged 15). My aunt, Amy Evans worked in the canteen ( who can ever forget the dripping crusts!). My sister worked at Boxfoldia in Dale Road. I have always thought that Wards has been in my blood. It gave me the greatest start in life, best training anyone could wish for and gave me my best friend for life, Pete Mc Creary. Pete and I went on to work together in South Africa and USA. We have been together many times, in many places around the world, having a beer and we would say...not bad for a couple of lads from Wards in Smelly Bloke! I worked for the South African agent for Wards, BESCO. I went into sales and my very first sale...was a reconditioned Ward 2D. I told the customer it was a good one..because I reconditioned it! Peter won't mind me telling you that he is still in machine tools after all these years but spends most of his time between his home in LA and his coffee farm in Hawaii. I was lucky to retire at 49 after selling my company in Birmingham, by the Aston Science Park. As we say not bad for lads from Wards in Smelly Bloke. Back to Wards. I remember so well Arther Parish telling us all it was all over but the 5 years I had there were some of the best times of my life. Let's do some name checks. Training center, Phil Luke and Jim Salmonds ( Tom Carabine was in charge of training ). Ronnie Bass was my first boss on the small Caps, Harry Blueitt, Eric James ( and Eileen ). Someone mentioned John the labourer..Johnny Goldberg. Pete and I used to see John in Town and we always bought him a drink, we played him up wicked! I worked on Drilling with Pussy, Center Lathes with the Burridge Twins, The Grinders ( who remembers the old lad who used to go for a walk in the shop at lunch and had to be shown back to his machine because he got lost and then continue to grind to a 10th of a thou!). I used to give my bacon sandwich to Dave Tyres in the Hardening shop to keep warm till the 10 am tea break. I also worked for Sam on Top Caps ( 1st machine on the left by the Tool Room ). I remember like yesterday using a box tool to turn the end of a lead screw before it went back to thread grinding to finish it off. Johnny Huges and my old mate Malcom Argyle in the Tool Room. Malcom and I played football together on Sundays, we also played together For Wards when we won the Wards Cup at Blackpole, which I captained. Ted Williams presenting the cup. Talking of football, of course I remember you Roger Austin. Dick Page, John Day ( all older than me ). Anyone remember who used to write Knockem on the company notice board ( can't remember his name but I can see his face, he played in the same team when we won the cup). Pop Eye, the gate keeper, Tony and Jack Farrell ( which one was the fork lift driver, think it was Tony). Terry Box in the pattern Shop, Harry Woodward. Bottle, on Saddles ( who used to shock us all eating grubs at lunch!). Of the lads of my year . Malcom Davis, my old mate ( went on to work on the Prince of Monaco's ship as an engineer for 3 years). Trevor Hemus and I went to work in Germany together ( he still lives there) Neil Buffery ( half pint Buffry), Dinga Bell, Tony Traner, Phil Hands, Dave Smith ( Orange Box, he went on to marry Malcom Argyle's sister ). Joe Webster ( I was his best man , as he married an old girlfriend of mine from the Stirchley CineBowl ( nee Pavilion). Can't forget Ray Gadd, shop Maintenace. To finish off history Ted Williams was our Chairman, anyone remember his brother Frank, of F1 fame. The racing car came to Selly Oak once with Piers Courage as driver, sadly he was killed in a car crash in our car. Piers was from the Courage beer family. I got to know Frank though Bernie Ecclestone and told him of my connection to Wards. I kept in touch and always managed to get tickets for Grand Prix around the world, sadly Frank is no longer with us. I hope all reading this enjoyed the great memories that Wards gave us, Birmingham born, Wards made, that's me. If anyone wants to contact me, please do at [email protected].

great memories tony just the sort of post that helps keep this forum going...hope some of your old work mates may read your post.. generally we advise members not leave their private email address on open forum as it could be open to harvesting and even hacked...we suggest if anyone wants to pass on their private contact details to do it through our private message system...envelope top of the page..if you wish me to remove your email address just let me know but you are at liberty to leave it on..enjoy the forum

lyn

Hello, did you take over from photographer Mick Macleod? I was pals with Mick for a few years, he was my wedding photographer in 1965. We used to spend most lunch hours either playing snooker above Burtons, or football in George Road Park. I remember Harold Hazard, always wore suede shoes, very dapper. I left in 1967 having worked in the despatch office with Jeff Leaver. Happy times at Wards!

Just found this forum and got quite excited reading all the comments about the good old days at Wards. I was an apprentice at Selly Oak from 1955 until 1960 and then stayed on for another 10 years in the Toolroom on the milling machines and the assembly benches. Never much of an academic but did achieve Practical Apprentice of the year around 1958. Great place to work, made friends that lasted a lifetime. Remember Roy Hazelwood, Clive Hadley, Joey Moore. All now sadly gone (just come back from Joey Moore's funeral at Redditch). Other names that spring to mind are Arthur Carpenter and Mickey Jenkinson. Our Forman in the Toolroom was Mr Townsend, can't remember his first name. Charlie Grattage was his boss. My Grandfather was still working there when I joined. He was always known as Billy Bell the Beltman and looked after all the overhead belting. In those days most of us went to work on push bikes or motorbikes. Anybody remember the old tram sheds in Tiverton Road that we used for bike storage? I became the Toolroom Shop Steward at 21. Our Convener was Arthur Parish and his Deputy was Teddy Young who always came to work on a 1000 cc Black Lightning. It's funny but the more you write the more that comes back to you but I think I've said enough for now. Regards to all.

Just found this forum and got quite excited reading all the comments about the good old days at Wards. I was an apprentice at Selly Oak from 1955 until 1960 and then stayed on for another 10 years in the Toolroom on the milling machines and the assembly benches. Never much of an academic but did achieve Practical Apprentice of the year around 1958. Great place to work, made friends that lasted a lifetime. Remember Roy Hazelwood, Clive Hadley, Joey Moore. All now sadly gone (just come back from Joey Moore's funeral at Redditch). Other names that spring to mind are Arthur Carpenter and Mickey Jenkinson. Our Forman in the Toolroom was Mr Townsend, can't remember his first name. Charlie Grattage was his boss. My Grandfather was still working there when I joined. He was always known as Billy Bell the Beltman and looked after all the overhead belting. In those days most of us went to work on push bikes or motorbikes. Anybody remember the old tram sheds in Tiverton Road that we used for bike storage? I became the Toolroom Shop Steward at 21. Our Convener was Arthur Parish and his Deputy was Teddy Young who always came to work on a 1000 cc Black Lightning. It's funny but the more you write the more that comes back to you but I think I've said enough for now. Regards to all.
Welcome Jim, and thank you for you history! The Forum is a most enjoyable place.

Jim, thanks for the post, you brought back quite a few memories, I used to have a Lambretta scooter, rain and shine I went to work on it, I used to park in the Tiverton Rd bike shed, I remember Arthur Parish and Teddy Young, I believe Teddy Young went on to work for the union full time after Wards, I was recently in Redditch and met up with Tony Gough ( ex Wards apprentice ) he was visiting his sister, he now lives in Thailand, Tony’s brother in law used to work at Wards too, his name was Al or Albert, he used to work in the progress chasing dept, work time cards etc, unfortunately he passed about two years ago, Tony and I had many a discussion about our days at Wards, wouldn’t change it for the world, lots of fun, I recently saw a video of Selly Oak, Dale Rd you would not recognize, gone is the snooker hall and Burtons that used to be below, Vincents wood yard, and of course the Birmingham Battery, I’m amazed at all the changes,

Hi

I am planning on documenting Worcesters’ lost industrial heritage. HW Ward were an important employer there and it is sad to see so much of it disappear. I’m a member of the Changing Face of Worcester (CFOW) which records old Worcester by posting the thousands of archive photos in our procession onto the website and describing them to aid web searches. As a photographer, I was wondering if you managed to keep any record of the HW Ward products, the people and the Worcester location. Old trade catalogues are always worth scanning and posting to the site. Thanks in anticipation…

Hi

I am planning on documenting Worcesters’ lost industrial heritage. HW Ward were an important employer there and it is sad to see so much of it disappear. I’m a member of the Changing Face of Worcester (CFOW) which records old Worcester by posting the thousands of archive photos in our procession onto the website and describing them to aid web searches. As a photographer, I was wondering if you managed to keep any record of the HW Ward products, the people and the Worcester location. Old trade catalogues are always worth scanning and posting to the site. Thanks in anticipation…
Stefan, welcome to The Forum! I think your work is very worthwhile. I had nothing to do with the company other than using their lathes in my apprenticeship.

Hi everyone! I was apprenticed from 1968 to 1972 when the ERTO (will Hurto) scheme saw lots of us
down the road! I am still in regular contact with Malcolm Davies (734) and have seen Tony Gough over the
years at the Blues! I remember the Training School (In the old Ariel works?) working on the Screw, Saddles,
Inspection and Drawing Office. After Wards I was taken on by British Aluminium in Redditch and was able to
finish my HNC at North Birmingham Poly. I trained as a Design Teacher in 1974 at St. Peters College, Saltley
and then taught very briefly at Turves Green Boys School.
Lots of funny moments I recall! Remember the Nurse/First Aid Lady? Her Room was up two high steps and
I tripped going in and arrived headlong on the floor.She indignantly told me to go back outside and knock!
How about the day decimal currency arrived and the absolute chaos in the Canteen. Was the Gate Keeper named
Ron Clay? (No relation) He was introduced to us by Phil Luke as going to tell us all about clocking in and out procedures.
He simply said "No Cards, No Pay" and left!
Been retired a few years now but I guess I could find some rusty whitworth spanners & taps somewhere in the shed!
Peter Clay (729)

Hi everyone! I was apprenticed from 1968 to 1972 when the ERTO (will Hurto) scheme saw lots of us
down the road! I am still in regular contact with Malcolm Davies (734) and have seen Tony Gough over the
years at the Blues! I remember the Training School (In the old Ariel works?) working on the Screw, Saddles,
Inspection and Drawing Office. After Wards I was taken on by British Aluminium in Redditch and was able to
finish my HNC at North Birmingham Poly. I trained as a Design Teacher in 1974 at St. Peters College, Saltley
and then taught very briefly at Turves Green Boys School.
Lots of funny moments I recall! Remember the Nurse/First Aid Lady? Her Room was up two high steps and
I tripped going in and arrived headlong on the floor.She indignantly told me to go back outside and knock!
How about the day decimal currency arrived and the absolute chaos in the Canteen. Was the Gate Keeper named
Ron Clay? (No relation) He was introduced to us by Phil Luke as going to tell us all about clocking in and out procedures.
He simply said "No Cards, No Pay" and left!
Been retired a few years now but I guess I could find some rusty whitworth spanners & taps somewhere in the shed!
Peter Clay (729)
Peter, welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

Back