• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street Lozells

out.jpeg
This is/was Guildford Street Baptist Chapel, no date I'm afraid. The area has now been re-developed.

Re: Guildford Street

Yes - is it David Probyn - I was at school with you. I'm Gina While.

Hi Gina, yes it's me! It's been a long time but I do remember you from Junior school.

Hi Gina, yes it's me! It's been a long time but I do remember you from Junior school.

How are you? did you live in Guildford St? We lived at no 37. My sister and I went on from William Cowper to King Edward's Grammar. My mother still lives in New John St West, from where I used to walk to William Cowper. I remember Mr Sims, Mrs Burton and Mr Tapper ... happy, innocent days!

Gina, you must have lived in the terrace with the 'God Bless Our Boys' painting; you must have been a couple of doors down from the Clarkes. Did you know Barbara Clarke? I lived over the road at 26 next door to Rudhall's shop.

Gina, you must have lived in the terrace with the 'God Bless Our Boys' painting; you must have been a couple of doors down from the Clarkes. Did you know Barbara Clarke? I lived over the road at 26 next door to Rudhall's shop.

I lived at no 37 and the 'God Bless our Boys' was close to us; i think it dated from WW1. The Lutwyches lived next to us, and the Etkins (Joan and Monty). My mother shopped at Rudhalls. I don't rmember Barbara Clarke but it was 40 years ago! We left in 1967 when they emptied the street for demolition. I went to William Cowper.

The name Lutwych rings a bell. The Clarkes lived at 43 where the God Bless our Boys was. It was a long time ago. Sadly I've forgotten the names of many friends. Jack and Molly Rudhall died many years ago but their daughter Pat is still alive. I went to Burbury Street and then Handsworth Grammar

Gina, did you know any of these: Christine Trotter, Johnny Wells, Valerie Hale, Eddie Madeley, Ronnie Pierce, Duncan Bagley?

How are you? did you live in Guildford St? We lived at no 37. My sister and I went on from William Cowper to King Edward's Grammar. My mother still lives in New John St West, from where I used to walk to William Cowper. I remember Mr Sims, Mrs Burton and Mr Tapper ... happy, innocent days!

Hi Gina, I'm good thanks, hopefully you are also? Yes, we lived at 29/146 Guildford St (Gladstone Terrace) and moved out in November 1968. As we moved to Bordesley Green East I ended up at Bordesley Green Grammar Technical school. Living in Pype Hayes now adays, married 3 grown up children and 3 grandsons. Where does the time go?

Hi Gina, I'm good thanks, hopefully you are also? Yes, we lived at 29/146 Guildford St (Gladstone Terrace) and moved out in November 1968. As we moved to Bordesley Green East I ended up at Bordesley Green Grammar Technical school. Living in Pype Hayes now adays, married 3 grown up children and 3 grandsons. Where does the time go?

Frightening isn't it! I am retired, living in wales, one grown up daughter. We only moved in 1967 to New john St west. I remember Mr Sims calling you, me, Sandra Steele and Philip Hart into his office to tell us we had passed the elven plus!
I remember also Mrs Burton and Mr Tapper. Do you remember Alan Lea and Ronnie Hassan? Our house was right opposite Geach St and we walked up it to school.

Gina, did you know any of these: Christine Trotter, Johnny Wells, Valerie Hale, Eddie Madeley, Ronnie Pierce, Duncan Bagley?

Christine Trotter and Ronnie Pierce ring a bell. The Lutwyches were Julie, Sonya, Sheree and Kenny. My mother shopped at Rudhalls and another shop at the end of the street; for a big shop she went up the Lozells Rd or Summer Lane. My cousins who lived next door to us (David and Mark Burke) went to Burbury St also. I went to King Edwards Rose Hill, just up from Handsworth Grammar. I too have forgotten many people; our life revolved around our particular back to back terrace, which we shared with Mrs Owen, the Morrises and the Dockers. I don't know if you have visited the area at all; it is totally changed with all the old buildings gone. My grandmother Elsie Knowles lived at 2/37 and she cleaned at the law courts.

I remember the Morrises and the Dockers, wasn't she Katie? I visited the area when only our house, 26, 24 and a few others were standing and a couple of years later when the new houses were built. I have driven around there a couple of times since.

I remember the Morrises and the Dockers, wasn't she Katie? I visited the area when only our house, 26, 24 and a few others were standing and a couple of years later when the new houses were built. I have driven around there a couple of times since.

Yes they are all gone now! Actually the Dockers still live quite close to my mother in Newtown. I do remember a Billy Clarke who was a great mate of my Uncle Bill Palfrey. There was a huge derelict factory in our terrace. I think the photo shows 35 - 47 Guildford St; we are no 37 and it is boarded up as we had just moved out. We paid fifteen shillings pw rent!

Frightening isn't it! I am retired, living in wales, one grown up daughter. We only moved in 1967 to New john St west. I remember Mr Sims calling you, me, Sandra Steele and Philip Hart into his office to tell us we had passed the elven plus!
I remember also Mrs Burton and Mr Tapper. Do you remember Alan Lea and Ronnie Hassan? Our house was right opposite Geach St and we walked up it to school.

Very frightening indeed! I remember being totally surprised at the news from Mr Sims, and yes I too remember Mrs Burton, Mr Tapper, Philip, Sandra, and Ronnie, however not Alan Lea.

The first post by jeanniekirk was asking about 133 Guildford Street. My GG Grandparents had a grocer's shop at 135 Guildford Street from 1890-1921. Benjamin and Julia Ireland. They also had a grocer's shop 77 Guildford Street in 1882. Does anyone remember the shops? maybe they changed hands but remained as grocers. Benjamin and Julia had two children George and Florence born 1879 and 1880. Benjamin Ireland and Julia Silk Ireland 2.jpg

DSCF1042.jpghi brummiemummy...here is a pic of your gg grandparents shop at 135 guildford st dated 1961
and thats a lovely photo of them you have posted.

lyn

Last edited:
Hi,
I have been tracing my family and found that my great great grandfather used to live in Eden Place Guildford st in 1861, reading some of the posts on Guildford street I see you have some photos which I would love to see.
I am having trouble opening any of the attachments posted but can see any photos included in the post.

Kind regards
Jim

As Michael says, Jim, your difficulty might be due to earlier images being lost due to the hacking incident some time ago. In this thread it looks as though anything posted prior to post #134 is a problem for all members.

Chris

Hi Jim. My family lived at Eden place; where are the attachments you have been trying to open? The pictures may be some of the ones that have been lost in the past due to a supposed hacking. If they are ones that I posted I will have copies, let me know.
You will also see some pictures and information on Eden Place here:

https://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/guildfordst.html

Hi Michael, many thanks for your photos all of which I can see. I think you are right in assuming the links and attachments I couldn't open must have been dur to the hackers.

What were your famiy's names from Eden Place, Jim?
Hi Michael,
My great great grandfather was named William & Sarah Derrington who lived in No. 3 Eden Place also John Derrington and family who lived in No 2. in the 1861 census,
I would love to get a photo of these two properties.

Regards
Jim

Here is a map with my family connections I made some time ago. Eden Place in green. The houses near the entry (on the left) - My mother lived with her family, the Cromptons at number 6 before WW1 (marked blue). She and my father lived at number 5 between 1923 and 1939 (coloured yellow). Number 4 next door in the bottom left corner. So 1, 2 and 3 at the far right. I don't know in which order they were numbered though. Which ever way, I would guess that number 2 was the middle one. From my memory its the house behind my sister with the fancy porch. When I was born we lived down the street at number 26 but I knew Eden Place well. My friend Duncan Bagley lived at number 6 in the forties.
edenplace_1a.jpgedenplace_12.jpg

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the map & pic of your sister. The map is interesting as I didn't know where the house was situated and seeing a part of it in the photo is great. Again many thanks.
Jim

this came to me with some other unknown location photos..i am pretty sure it is of guildford st as post 209 shows what i believe to be the same houses...i think that it is at the corner with geach st...just a lone burnt out chair and upturned pram and the very sad god bless our boys painted on the wall of a house (which was the give away)..if mike ingram see this he should be able to confirm...the next st up from geach is paddington st where i was born..

lyn

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
You are dead right Lyn. God Bless our boys above the Clarke's house, something like no 37. A terrific photo but I've never seen it before. The cleared area is the corner of Geach Street where the bombed pub was that we used to play in

thanks for confirming i was right mike....you wont have seen this before as it came to me yesterday from the person who took it in a collection of photos with no locations written on them....it was the god bless our boys that made me think it was guildford st..

lyn

Last edited:
Back