• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grove Lane Handsworth

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
Unfortunately the photos at the start of this thread have been lost, if anyone has a copy of these please let one of the admin team know. Many thanks.

The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1920's.

Ian.

Last edited by a moderator:
froth...i cant keep up with this..ian is on a mission...:D

love em ian...

lyn

I like looking at the people in the old photos, the hats the people wore, wonder if the photos were taken on Sundays, and it's nice to see how some buildings have survived. Also in many of the old photos, the absence of trees, or recently planted. I remember the very small trees in our road when I was a child and how they had grown to almost nuisance level these days.
oldmohawk..:)

yes i am glad the old houses are still there ii used to deliver milk around that grove lane
and the complete area many years ago for midland counties way back
best wishes astonion

The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1910's.

Ian

I don't know Handsworth at all but my great-grandfather lived there and my grandfather born there. They are on the 1901 census as living in Church Grove. Out of interest does anyone know if this still exists?

This photo was taken around WW1. The queue is for vegetables, so probably a little way into the war. Viv.

image.jpeg

This thread has lost many of the early images, so please let a member of the admin team know if you have any. (Having said that its difficult to tell what images they were - afraid relying on members memory). Viv.

Meanwhile, here's a few of Grove Lane.

First we have the "Boulevard", Grove Lane

image.jpeg

Next, a c1910 image courtesy of the Black Country Museum

image.jpeg

Then we have Phyllis Nicklin to thank for the following two images taken in March 1968; the junction of Grove Lane and Soho Road, followed by Handsworth Grammar School.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Many of the buildings in the old photo are still there today including King Edwards School on the left. An interesting car pulling out of KEGS driveway on the left, I suspect not contemporary with the date of the photo. The photographer would have been standing on the corner of Branksome Avenue. Viv.

D9757BF2-C9A3-4668-A99F-256607AA94CC.jpeg5E67A1FA-69D4-4DEA-B366-1E74D21396F2.jpeg

Back