• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Group photos

To compliment the above picture Swan Pub Yardley 1947 fire engine and personnel from Wash Lane Fire Station

View attachment 116324
The preceding pic (Post 66 gives the reason this vehicle and its crew were there.
The vehicle in question is carrying the herald of the NFS (National Fire Service) which was a wartime organization and was replaced, in the 1947 Fire Services Act with city and country brigades in England & Wales (not sure about Scotland). I would hazard a guess that this vehicle was now retired from front line service being replaced by a newer vehicle.

Anyone recognise themselves ? 1969 school horticultural competition, Great Barr. Viv.

image.jpeg

Lucas staff at a Spitfire Fund raising event in October 1940 at the Crown & Cushion Perry Barr. Viv.

image.jpeg

I have posted this group photo before on another thread but I think a School Group Section is a good idea.

PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN IN 1953 – 54 AT ST. MARY’S JUNIOR SCHOOL ASTON

Back Row: Mr. Tunnicliffe (Headmaster), David Bath, Roger Porter, Kenneth Hawkins, Barry ???, John Weare, Frank Payne, Jennifer Bazeley, Maureen Hazel, Christine Brierley, Pat ???, Irene Sheldon, Miss Price (Teacher).
2nd Row: Graham Rowe, Raymond ???, Malcolm Brooks, Dennis Broadmoor, Anthony Watts, Colin Lydon, Pamela/Ruth ???, Janet ???, ???, ???, Hazel Toovy, ???.
Front Row (seated): Frederick Martin, David Robinson, Raymond Hartley, George Coffman, Roy Whitmore, ???, Stella Barlone/Barlow , Margaret Chorley, ???, Phyllis Blizzard?, ???.
Seated on Ground: George Cockayne, Raymond Franklin, Michael Taber.
If anybody out there recognises themselves or someone else, please let me know as I would love to fill in the blanks.

Interestingly, in one of my posts in September 2008, I mentioned one of the lads on the photo, John Weare, who I said was very clever and I thought he would have gone on to be a university professor. Well, his younger sister, June, contacted me through Friends Reunited a couple of weeks ago, after seeing this photo with the names listed. Guess what? John was a Professor of Physics at Oxford University (now retired) and is also a CBE. I have been conversing with June via email which has brought back memories for all three of us. June has also applied to join the Forum.

I cant see the photo unfortunately but my uncles name was George Coffman. He died in 1953 aged 9. If you still have this photo it would be lovely to see it. Im sure my dad and other uncles went there, Kenneth Coffman, Raymond Coffman and Michael Coffman and my aunt Patricia x

Here is a photo of my late wife's class at Great Barr Comp in 1959. All the lads look smart with their shirts tucked into their trousers !
Great_Barr_Comp_1959.jpg
Great Barr Comp early 1960's (1).jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Slatty. Great photo. I've turned your photo for you. Do you have a date for this one please ? Viv.

No, only the one from 1959. The two later ones were given to me by my friend Brian Whitehall whose brother Barry is the first one on the left of the second row. It has to be about 1960.

So you must have been at GB school when Stevie and Muff Winwood were there. Stevie W would have been there from 1959 and Muff from I think about 1954. They both went to my junior school Cranbourne Rd/Kingsthorne Junior). Viv.

I went to Great Barr Comp in 1958, having passed the 11+ as I lived outside the area. I knew Steve Winwood well, who was in the year below me. He lived locally in Atlantic Road, and it was him that has given me a life long appreciation of the Blues music. I did not know Muff as he was much older, as was Martin Shaw, who also went there. I used to go to Mothers in Erdington in the late 60's where his band the Spencer Davis Group played a lot.

I used to know a lot of people on the Birmingham Music Scene, and mixed with the likes of him plus John "Ozzy" Osbourne, Jeff Lynne, Bev Bevan etc. Carl Chinn published an article I wrote about John Osbourne in his Brummagem magazine in January 2017.

Do you recognise any of these boys leaving Snow Hill Station? These were some of the 600 children who left for a holiday in Ludlow through the Birmingham Children's Country Holiday Society. Viv.

image.jpeg

An interesting group photo which was originally put on the forum in 2013 in the post quoted under the photo ... I have cropped a large white area off the photo.
full coronation picture George V.jpg

I thought people may be interested in my pics of my Grandad Richard Rickets who lived in Nechells park rd when young then in Coventry Rd as Goerge V in the Hay Mills parade there is also a more personal portrait which must have m made him feel quite special!View attachment 90232View attachment 90233

The infant class at Raddlebarn JI School in 1922. Look at the girl in the white dress 4th from left front row, her parents were making sure the soles of her shoes lasted with use of segs !
Raddlebarn1922.jpg

Lovely photo oM - but I do feel sorry for the girl with the glasses - the light has just caught them awkwardly. The girl with the big bow in the second row is determined to get herself noticed. Not a shrinking violet is she?

The little lad, front extreme RH doesn't have any shoes on, and has holes in the toes of his socks, or they also segs on the soles of his shoes.

Many fathers/grandfathers did the family shoe repairs. You could buy - and still can - the leather, accessories and tools needed from quite a few places. It was essential to make the best job of children's shoes and boots, they usually wore them out quite quickly. :eek:

We had stick-a-soles.

Yes I remember the stick on soles right up to the 70s I think.
If you took your shoes into the shoe repairers to sole and heel them, they were never quite the right shape again.
Especially if they originally had pointed, or chisel toes, it tended to blunt or round them off. Stick on soles tended to keep them in better shape. Can you still get them?
Took them usually to Paines in Sheldon.
Don't take shoes in for repair now, tend to throw them away. The cost of repair is better put to a new pair.

Lovely photo oM - but I do feel sorry for the girl with the glasses - the light has just caught them awkwardly. The girl with the big bow in the second row is determined to get herself noticed. Not a shrinking violet is she?
I'm surprised that girl in the the front row wasn't told to sit up straight. I suppose they were all born towards the end of WW1 and some of the lads would probably be called up for military service in WW2 just 17 years away in their future.

The infant class at Raddlebarn JI School in 1922. Look at the girl in the white dress 4th from left front row, her parents were making sure the soles of her shoes lasted with use of segs !
View attachment 124381

I love this picture. My Mother was born in Jan 1917 and this photo shows me how she would have dressed, when she was about the same age as some of those kids.

Lovely photo oM ........ The girl with the big bow in the second row is determined to get herself noticed. Not a shrinking violet is she?

The girl has a dress in boldly printed fabric too. Only one other girl has a printed fabric dress. Her mum probably had big ambitions for her.

The girl leaning on her elbow looks like she has an 'attitude'.

I like to look at the pictures and posters on the walls in these classrooms. I see a poster of numbers. Almost the same as today's junior classrooms. Can't make out the pictures are though. Viv.

I have posted this group photo before on another thread but I think a School Group Section is a good idea.

PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN IN 1953 – 54 AT ST. MARY’S JUNIOR SCHOOL ASTON

Back Row: Mr. Tunnicliffe (Headmaster), David Bath, Roger Porter, Kenneth Hawkins, Barry ???, John Weare, Frank Payne, Jennifer Bazeley, Maureen Hazel, Christine Brierley, Pat ???, Irene Sheldon, Miss Price (Teacher).
2nd Row: Graham Rowe, Raymond ???, Malcolm Brooks, Dennis Broadmoor, Anthony Watts, Colin Lydon, Pamela/Ruth ???, Janet ???, ???, ???, Hazel Toovy, ???.
Front Row (seated): Frederick Martin, David Robinson, Raymond Hartley, George Coffman, Roy Whitmore, ???, Stella Barlone/Barlow , Margaret Chorley, ???, Phyllis Blizzard?, ???.
Seated on Ground: George Cockayne, Raymond Franklin, Michael Taber.
If anybody out there recognises themselves or someone else, please let me know as I would love to fill in the blanks.

Interestingly, in one of my posts in September 2008, I mentioned one of the lads on the photo, John Weare, who I said was very clever and I thought he would have gone on to be a university professor. Well, his younger sister, June, contacted me through Friends Reunited a couple of weeks ago, after seeing this photo with the names listed. Guess what? John was a Professor of Physics at Oxford University (now retired) and is also a CBE. I have been conversing with June via email which has brought back memories for all three of us. June has also applied to join the Forum.

George Coffman was my uncle, he died in 1953 at age 9, does anyone remember him please x

Viv
The link in the post tells us that the garage was on the corner of Park St & Upper Thomas St
were did park st cross upper thomas st? i remember using one on the jk parl lane and upper thomas st

Last edited:
Eddie, your grandfather's cycling group seem to be celebrating something; many are wearing buttonhole flowers, the man next to your grandfather is wearing, I think, a medal. So I imagine it might have been some sort of celebration. Quite a few gentlemen are older in the photo so maybe not all were cyclists.

Phil, yes skirts must have been a hazard. I think women cyclists started to wear plus fours, but later than your photo.

This cycling group photo is of the founders of the Clarion Cycling club, formed in 1894 in Birmingham by a group of like-minded enthusiasts of the Park Lane Labour Church.

View attachment 101092

Some background info about the club. Viv.
original bone shaker.my pride and joy,people wave as i go cycling by

Sorry mw0njm. my mind must have been elsewhere. If you tell me which post on the thread it was on ~I will correct it

Searching along the Inner Circle route looking for a bus I came across these nice pics from Lozells Girls School put on by Lyn in 2008. I've removed the intrusive Photobucket watermarks which are on the original pics in the thread.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/lozells-girls-school.11114/post-418409
Wedding Reception
View attachment 130510

Birthday Party
View attachment 130511

thanks for posting minus the PB watermark phil...what happy memories they bring back....i played badminton for many hours after school in the hall and the building on the right in the wedding photo is where i learnt shorthand and typing

lyn

original bone shaker.my pride and joy,people wave as i go cycling by
Mum wore a divided skirt to cycle in and I have a photo of her in a long skirt she cycled in and flat shoes and aunt Win in high stilletoes and a tight skirt. Don't know how she did it.

Back