• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Group photos

A large group by the Beeches Pub, Perry Beeches ready for a day trip. The M6 motorway (opened 1971) can be seen in the background and I would think this photo was taken in the early 1970s.
Outing Beeches 1970.jpg

Last edited:
Aston Swimming Club in 1914. They won the Flying Squadron League, so I expect some of these men went on the join the RFC - or might even have already been in service. Look at all those medals, a very successful team. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 174
Lots of group photos on the forum and here is one of them. They are waiting for a train at New Street Station in 1961.
CityNewStStationBankHolidayMonday1961.jpg

Take a bunch of blokes from as far north as the Orkney Islands to as far south as the Isle of Wight and others from many places in between, throw them together and they become mates in the RAF doing National Service.
normal_The_Lads_RAF_Melksham.jpg

Outside_Hut_RAF_Melksham.JPG

csmith, agree wonderful old aircraft, but I was merely a wireless operator, part of the crew and certainly did not fly it (had not the qualifications for pilot training unfortunately) but still a great experience with plenty of wonderful memories. Happy days. Eric

I've got a few group photos on the forum and a link to one here. It was taken in Sept 1969 when GKN held yearly management courses at Magdalene College in Cambridge. We were there for three weeks living like students in the college and had a private visit in the Pepys Library. Fond memories of Cambridge.

Thinking back to just two months before the photo was taken I had listened in the early hours of a morning to the first moon landing live. I will never forget that moment.
cam009.jpg
I was at Hardy Spicer for some thirty years and quite a few of my colleagues went on these Cambridge coursesin the 1970's. I got to go on a similar course for lesser mortals at Aston Uni

A nice group photo of Class 6 at Brookfields School Ellen Street taken in 1923. Interesting clothes and facial expressions. The lad in the centre of the front row looks like he is wearing a military hat.
Class_6_Brookfields_School_1923.jpg

Also Ellen Street I would think about 1919 my mom is third row up 5th from the right hand side with the white bow in her hair.
Ellen Street School 1.jpg

1919 the year my dear Mom was born, great photo's love #3751, the little girl at back looks like she is bored and picking her nose. Paul

I was at Hardy Spicer for some thirty years and quite a few of my colleagues went on these Cambridge coursesin the 1970's. I got to go on a similar course for lesser mortals at Aston Uni

Magdalene College, Cambridge.

My son in law graduated from there, with honours in English. Alumini include Mallory (of Everest fame), John Simpson and Bamber Gascoigne, both of TV fame. My son in law has a book published by the college, of letters written by Arthur Sales, to which both John S. & Bamber G. contributed. Not Birmingham, but we are quite proud of our son in law, and his achievements.

A far different world, and background, to my own.

Eddie

wow carol you are so lucky to have that school photo of your mom..

one to treasure

lyn

Two lovely school photos. Both not long after WW1. Their young lives would have been dominated by the War and, sadly, their young adult years would be affected by yet another war. Viv.

Lots of group photos here and there on the forum and here is one re-cycled from the 'old evening mail' thread. The boss at Smith, Stone, and Knight allowed (or asked) his workers to gather for a group photo. No date on the photo and it's a bit blurry because it was scanned from an old newspaper.
SmithStoneKnight.jpg

Someone told the kids from around Hicks Square to line up on the pavement and have their photo taken and two moms watched. I've been in group photos where you know all the people in them but you move on and probably never meet again but a photo brings back memories.
In the second photo dated 1963, all the kids have gone but half of a building has also gone and a bush has grown. The first photo (from Shoothill) is undated, could be 1930s. A rough wooden fence has replaced the metal railings which could have been taken in WW2.
Hicks_Square.JPG

There was another Market Street in Duddeston, coming off Coleshill Street and running into Hicks Square
index.php

Last edited:
wow carol you are so lucky to have that school photo of your mom..

one to treasure

lyn

Hi Lyn thanks, yes I just wish the other photo put on by oldmohawk had names as mom had younger siblings and it would have been lovely to think perhaps they might be on that photo. I have another one of my mom front row, third from the left.

Ellen Street School 2.jpg

Lovely Caroline. They seem to have gifts, one has a little tea service, several have dolls, including your mom, two are cradling them on the right and one boy has a teepee. It's obviously a special occasion as they're all very clean and tidy. The boy far right has been caught in action falling forward, maybe he fell asleep! Wonder why there's a big number 170 on the front desk? Viv.

Last edited:
It must have been a one off as at that time she would have been 1 off ten, eventually being 1 of 13. Her dad died when she was 13 leaving 12 children. So a hard life but they all seemed in the end to have done ok.

I notice no adult men in the photo Phil. Many of those in the photo would have lost fathers and husbands in WW 1. And/or it was taken on a work day when any men were working. Viv.

It's Winter 1895 in Sutton Park and Wyndley Pool has frozen over but it has snowed so not ideal for curling. They stopped to pose - top hats, bowlers, handkerchiefs in top pockets and button style trousers on the right !
wyndley.jpg

They were all wrapped up wearing their coats and hats in Fallowfield Avenue when they posed for a group photo on that chilly June day in 1953. I wonder if that young lad standing apart out in front became a politician ?
index.php

need to be logged in to see the above pic

Same place today and times have changed - don't think we will see anything like the old photo these days .....
Fallowfieldn1.JPG

Last edited:
oldmohawk, in 1953 I was 23 so older than most of them in photo, I presume it was to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 11. I was in Hong Kong with my late Wife (courtesy RAF) watching the celebrations there. The road does not look as if much as changed, same houses, even same grass verges. Although the gas lamp as gone and PO Telephone poles have appeared, otherwise no difference Eric

Last edited:
I've always liked the forum pic below showing a happy bunch of neighbours gathered on Coronation Day in Nigel Road Washwood Heath. The austere 1940s behind them and the 1950s underway.
Coronation celebrations in Nigel Road Washwood Heath. 1953.
Do you know anyone here?
index.php
need to be logged in to see the above pic.

Nigel Road these days when Google's streetview car visited.
Click the link ... https://goo.gl/maps/hnKMzxc9ZQu

Last edited:
Auction for the National Fire Service Benevolent Fund outside the swan pub 1947image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
To compliment the above picture Swan Pub Yardley 1947 fire engine and personnel from Wash Lane Fire Station

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back