• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Group photos

How amazing that they went on coach trips in 1953 to view all the other street decorations. Simple pleasures. By this time hats seem to have become less common for men and women than in the 1940s. I remember those coats for girls, they weren't very comfy and were made of coarse wool. Everyone looks nicely turned out for the trip. And not one, but two coaches! Wondering if that's a garage to the left - the sign looks like a 'BP' sign. So maybe the various street residents congregated outside the garage for their trip. Viv.

Viv
The link in the post tells us that the garage was on the corner of Park St & Upper Thomas St

Here we have a lovely group photo of Pearl Assurance staff (Saltley) in 1914. How thoughtful of Pearl Assurance to include spouses and their employees children in the photo. (Well I'm assuming the women with babies on their laps are spouses of employees). But there's an intriguing OXO thingy on the front row. Any ideas? Googled it but can't find anything like it. Doubt it's a toy. Viv.
image.jpg

American servicemen from the Pheasey Base in 1942. They came over to help in WW2
index.php

Last edited:
One of my family photos taken in Cavendale Road. The war was finally over, the flags are out and fancy dress on for a VJ Day party.
index.php

Last edited:
Re US servicemen in post #34 makes we wonder what effect all those servicemen had on the local area. Having more cash in their pockets than most local people, I expect they'd have been a welcome boost to businesses. Or did they put even more pressure on already limited supplies ?

Re Cavendush Road. Such happy faces. It's just struck me that early lives of all those in the photo would have been dominated by WW2. And for the very young, they wouldn't have experienced peacetime. The boy far left at the back is wearing something with 'Ration.....' printed on it. Do you know what that was? Viv.

Last edited:
Re US servicemen in post #34 makes we wonder what effect all those servicemen had on the local area. Having more cash in their pockets than most local people, I expect they'd have been a welcome boost to businesses. Or did they put even more pressure on already limited supplies ?
Viv.
Hi Viv - As a very young child in WW2 I probably met some of the servicemen in that photo. They did make quite an impact on the district. When they often visited families they brought food like we had never seen before, and of course they visited the local pubs. There is one story about them here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4180&p=83144#post83144

Re Cavendush Road. Such happy faces. It's just struck me that early lives of all those in the photo would have been dominated by WW2. And for the very young, they wouldn't have experienced peacetime. The boy far left at the back is wearing something with 'Ration.....' printed on it. Do you know what that was? Viv.
Hi Viv - He is dressed up as a ration book which were very familiar items in those days. My brother-in-law is in that pic and I will ask him about it when I see him tomorrow. Most of the children in the pic would have spent nights in air raid shelters during the early part of WW2 and still had to go to school next morning.

The 'ration book' costume on the left was drawn on brown paper, and the letters on the hat were something to do with the Birmingham Food Office but my brother-in-law can't remember what they were. Even though rationing was strict particularly in the early years of the war, the children look well nourished.

Last edited:
Coronation Day June 1953 was cold and breezy, but nothing was going to stop these 'Brummies' in Moorside Rd Yardley Wood having a street party even if overcoats and raincoats had to be worn.
I suppose June 1953 was in a good year for group photos of street parties never forgotten ...
Coronation_St_Party_Moorside_Rd_Yardley_Wood_s.jpg

A large group by the Beeches Pub, Perry Beeches ready for a day trip. The M6 motorway (opened 1971) can be seen in the background and I would think this photo was taken in the early 1970s.
Outing Beeches 1970.jpg

Last edited:
Aston Swimming Club in 1914. They won the Flying Squadron League, so I expect some of these men went on the join the RFC - or might even have already been in service. Look at all those medals, a very successful team. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 174
Lots of group photos on the forum and here is one of them. They are waiting for a train at New Street Station in 1961.
CityNewStStationBankHolidayMonday1961.jpg

Take a bunch of blokes from as far north as the Orkney Islands to as far south as the Isle of Wight and others from many places in between, throw them together and they become mates in the RAF doing National Service.
normal_The_Lads_RAF_Melksham.jpg

Outside_Hut_RAF_Melksham.JPG

csmith, agree wonderful old aircraft, but I was merely a wireless operator, part of the crew and certainly did not fly it (had not the qualifications for pilot training unfortunately) but still a great experience with plenty of wonderful memories. Happy days. Eric

I've got a few group photos on the forum and a link to one here. It was taken in Sept 1969 when GKN held yearly management courses at Magdalene College in Cambridge. We were there for three weeks living like students in the college and had a private visit in the Pepys Library. Fond memories of Cambridge.

Thinking back to just two months before the photo was taken I had listened in the early hours of a morning to the first moon landing live. I will never forget that moment.
cam009.jpg
I was at Hardy Spicer for some thirty years and quite a few of my colleagues went on these Cambridge coursesin the 1970's. I got to go on a similar course for lesser mortals at Aston Uni

A nice group photo of Class 6 at Brookfields School Ellen Street taken in 1923. Interesting clothes and facial expressions. The lad in the centre of the front row looks like he is wearing a military hat.
Class_6_Brookfields_School_1923.jpg

Also Ellen Street I would think about 1919 my mom is third row up 5th from the right hand side with the white bow in her hair.
Ellen Street School 1.jpg

Back