• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gregory family

P

Pimpernel

Hello everyone. I've been asked on someone elses behalf to look for the birth of James Gregory around 1837 (see below). His father was a police officer, I wonder if there are any online sources for the early police force in Birmingham?

"i am having difficulty finding my great grandfather james gregory
born around 1837.i have him on cencuses 1871 up untill 1901 prior to
that there is no trace of him at all. he is with his wife sarah reeves
and children. he married sarah in 22/12/1861, and on his marriage cert
his father was a police officer. on all cencuses it states that james
was born in warwickshire or birmingham. i also have his death cert in
25/11/1906."

What is the name of James Gregory's father, the policeman?
In a tree I've been doing for a relation, I have a Rebecca Gregory (b. 1822 Birmingham). She married James Wells (a police officer) in 1845. On the marriage certificate it gives father as John Gregory a coach plater. On the cencus the police are listed all together.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the very same question Ann, to which I've just heard:
"all i know is that it says his father is john on james's marriage cert, and that he
was a police officer. i have searched all cencuses from 1841 right
throught thro to 1901. and no where can i find james prior to 1871
cencus. ...."
A cursory glance through the census indexes seems to show several references to a James with father named James, I wonder whether John would have been another name for James. In which census are the police all listed together?

I think this one could be tricky. It could, as you say, be a change of name, James/John, or middle name becoming first name (I've had that a few times). Or transcription errors. And most of the earlier Birmingham Gregorys were born out of county. The one I have in my tree, as a policeman, was only that on one cencus. In other words you can't say that the father John was a policeman on earlier cencus. I can only see the police all together on the 1841 cencus, and then they come under St. Thomas District 2 (I think) Police Section Houses. Is it worth posting a query regarding the police in 1861? Sorry I can't help more.
Ann

Hello everyone. I've been asked on someone elses behalf to look for the birth of James Gregory around 1837 (see below). His father was a police officer, I wonder if there are any online sources for the early police force in Birmingham?

"i am having difficulty finding my great grandfather james gregory
born around 1837.i have him on cencuses 1871 up untill 1901 prior to
that there is no trace of him at all. he is with his wife sarah reeves
and children. he married sarah in 22/12/1861, and on his marriage cert
his father was a police officer. on all cencuses it states that james
was born in warwickshire or birmingham. i also have his death cert in
25/11/1906."
I have been asked by a Friend to find her Fathers family, he was Henry James Gregory born July 9th 1916.
his mother died soon after his birth, Not sure whether he was adopted or sent to orphanage as father could not cope.
Wonder seeing as yours was a James if this could be family ??

There's a birth registered for a Henry J Gregory, Sep qtr 1916 in the Bham district. Mother's maiden name Bloxham.

There's a marriage registered for a Henry Gregory and an Esther Bloxham, Jun qtr 1906 in the Bham district.

And they were married at St Mark's, Bham on the 15th April.

On the 1911 census Henry & Esther are listed in Bham with a son and 2 daughters from Henry's previous marriage and a sister of Esther. Esther is listed as being born in 1874, Dublin.

There's a death registered for an Esther Gregory, Jun qtr 1927 Bham N district. Age is listed as 52.

Henry senior appears to remarry to an Annie Kielty, marriage registered Sep qtr 1934.

There's a birth registered for a Henry J Gregory, Sep qtr 1916 in the Bham district. Mother's maiden name Bloxham.

There's a marriage registered for a Henry Gregory and an Esther Bloxham, Jun qtr 1906 in the Bham district.

On the 1911 census Henry & Esther are listed in Bham with a son and 2 daughters from Henry's previous marriage and a sister of Esther. Esther is listed as being born in 1874, Dublin.

There's a death registered for an Esther Gregory, Jun qtr 1927 Bham N district. Age is listed as 52.

Henry senior appears to remarry to an Annie Kielty, marriage registered Sep qtr 1934.
Thankyou for that information will pass on to my Friend .

Hi Cellia Dillworth
you say they got married in st marks birmingham
did you ever had an address for them on there marriage certificates ot what part of birmingham
they gave on that day ,as i had a friend whom is an old friend not seen him years now
but his surname was gregory and he often spoke of his father or grand father was a police officier
at this procise of the evening i cannot be sure of which one
his name was roger james gregory and i think he said at one time he was a serving police officier
My friend joined the Navvy and when he came out of the forces he eventualy settlrd down
He was a true Navvy man with a girl in every port and he was always having girls hanging on his arm
then one day the right girl came around and he got settled down and moved away from the area where he was
brought up , i was told by another friend he went to live with this nice lady on the out skirts of birmingham
roger grew up in a street barker street and if my geograpics are correct this is not to far from st marks chuch a stone throw i would say as l lived by st marks before they knocked it down
we was both at the same school and lived close to each other and used to drink together some times in the city of
birmingham, but bearing in mind my gregory is abit of a coincidence
meaning to gregorys and both being police officiers
by the way this st marks was not far from the city centre
should you need to asked me any other quesstions p[ease feel frr to contact me by e m messageing we have on the forum

Celia, I think it is likely that Henry James mother was a single lady.
The only death that I can find of a Gregory of childbearing age that died 6 weeks after his birth is Constance Maud Gregory age 35
Constance was born in 1880 Handsworth to Emmanuel and Selina Gregory registered West Bromwich.
She is on the 1891 in Wellington Road Handsworth and in 1901 is a servant name Maud Gregory with a family in Longdon Staffs.Not found on 1911.
Someone on Ancestry has said that she had a daughter Alice Maud in 1902 Gloucestershire
I have found both Alice Maud age 8 b Gloucs and Albert Basion Gregory age 7 b, Aston living with their Aunt Alice Lightwood in 1911 Sutton Coldfield , Alice formerly Alice Gregory Constance sister.
Basion is an unusual name and unmarried mothers sometimes left a clue to the father by using his surname as a christian name.

Last edited:
Back