• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Green lane pub.

john knight

signman
Morning all,
Just found this fabulous photo of the junction of Green Lane and Coventry Road, courtesy of Carl Chinn.
No idea of the time scale, but does anyone know the name of the Davenports house just at the start of Little Green Lane. ( I've no idea)

Attachments

• Small Heath Green Lane - Coventry Rd (2).jpg
    Small Heath Green Lane - Coventry Rd (2).jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 25
Great stuff John , which one is Little Green Lane and is that tall building the Swimming Baths or Library:)

Great stuff John , which one is Little Green Lane and is that tall building with Clock the Swimming Baths or Library:)

John

That would be the Cricketers Arms, a smashing little pub that is still there today.

Phil

Attachments

• Small Heath Little Green Lane The Cricketers.jpg
    Small Heath Little Green Lane The Cricketers.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 12
Alf,

The tall building is the swimming baths and library. The entrance to the library is through the door under the clock. And the entrance to the swimming baths along the side on Green Lane.

Ann

Thank you Ann I thought it was but you are never sure with these clever folk on here and my senior mind:)

Thanks for replies,
I'll answer all questions in one go.
Alf,Little Green Lane is to the left of clock tower, and Ann answered your first question.
Phil , The pub I was enquiring about is just visible to the right of the shop.
Barry,Answered your reply with Phils above.
So we still need an answer, I can never remember there being a pub there it was always Wimbushes factory.

On way, would be for someone with 'Kelly's directory to do a look up for the pub next to Tallett's round about 1900.

Nick

Do you mean the black Horse in Green Lane ? The Cricketers was the only pub in Little Green Lane.

I cant remember the premises with the Bovril sign, just a bombsite with a woodyard behind it. Other side of Coventry Rd to that was the Coach and Horses.

The building with the clock was the library, its a Mosque now I think, and from the look of it from the outside, its in a bad state of repair.

It's Tulletts and they are actually listed as being in Coventry road. The first building round the corner was a tailors and then 6 and 8 are listed just as beerhouse, or some similar description right back to 1858 and possibly 1855. It was listed as this up to 1908.In 1912 it is a restaurant and in 1921 a fish & chip emporium. The census might give the name if we could find the relevent page. In 1851 (when there is a list of districts) it was not in birmingham but small heath, but am not sure which district that was.
Mike

Yes, this pub must pre date Wimbushes, unless they were there and xpanded in place of the pub?
This is one of my favourite Small Heath photo images as I was an avid reader, and a regular swimmer, so hours were spent in this wonderful building when I was a child.
Once I remember taking my books back in the very same day and the woman wouldn't change them!
Jan

Sorry, Thought you meant a pub you'd been in.

Hope these help, Looks like Davenports sign was where wimbushes offices were later on.

Hello all,
Didn't mean to cause so much confusion, There must be someone on this
site that knows, it's always been Wimbushes to me , but there again who knows.

John

It was obviously a pub at the time of the photo, but it was never named in the directories as anything other than a beer retailer. It looks like several of us have looked and came to the same conclusion.

The only way forward is probably the way mikejee suggests and that is by looking at the census returns.

Phil

Looking at the tower of the former swimming baths in the photo Wimbush`s Bakery entrance, was on the left facing the library. Fraziers shop on the right which i remember going to circa 1937? was then on the corner of Coventry Rd, by Charles Rd traffic lights which are still in use now, this must be very old photo. Len

Another Picture taken from the same corner, sadly the 'Pub' is just off to the left

Attachments

• Small Heath Little Green Lane Library 1973.jpg
    Small Heath Little Green Lane Library 1973.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 15
Back