• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Western Arcade.

Countermon

Hello,

Does anyone have any knowledge of a shop in the Great Western Arcade by the name of George Phillips ?

I have a silver bowl marked "PATTISON" with a lozenge shaped mark with " George Phillips G.W.Arcade Birmingham " within. It appears to have some age to it.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks,

Don.

Don, know there was a jewellers by the back entrance to Debenhams but can't recall name - if you type haberdashers in great western arcade into the search there's quite a bit on the GWA and a link to another site, if you read the posts someone may have mentioned the name on there, we had quite a bit of input on it.
Sue

From Kellys
George J Phillips, art metal work , 5 Gr West.Arcade from between 1905 and 1908 till between 1915 & 1921
George J Phillips, cutler, 5 Gr West.Arcade -1921.
It was George Phillips (Cutlers )Ltd, 5 Gt..West.Qrc. in 1932 -1940.
They had gone by 1943.
The bowl sounds as if it came from their "art metalwork” period
Mike

Thank you both very much for your replies, very helpful.

It's a lovely bowl and appears to be made out of solid silver even though it's not hallmarked. No idea where the "PATTISON" bit comes in though.

Thanks again,

Don.

HI GUYS ;
Just at this moment in time rgarding that question regarding the patterson hughes bussiness
i am trying to rack my head around this the patterson hughes bussines was either brought from the grand father of the jelfs
tea rooms or vice er versa i was told a story about this buildng and the connections with jelfs and patterson and hughes there was a very strong bonding between them way back in around that period in the westeren arcade where the grand father had the tea rooms and with waitress
dressed identicaly as the joe lyons waitress uniform as my mother used to tell me and there was abit about
the patterson hughes taking over i think we may find if we dig deep enough it was the phillips sold to the grand father of the jelfs tea rooms
empire and george or arther had one out side the arcade years later nect to snow hill station
the more i think it was phillips sold to mr jelf my mothers grand father and he lived in a big housree in handsworth with servants in the house
but here was most definate connections with the jelf and patterson and hughes even an affair with my mother in her younger days
wher upon a mr hughes of patterson and hughes asked my mother to marry him ;
sold it was either jelf sold it to them which i am pretty sure that was the case best wishes astonian ;

IMG_2773.jpeg

“Built in 1902, the Great Western Arcade allowed shoppers to browse under cover. The arcade ran from Corporation Street to Colmore Row and housed several tea-shops. This view towards Temple Row was taken in 1904.

(The story of Ty-phoo and the Birmingham tea industry by Williams, Ken.)

Back