• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Russell street

View attachment 94085we already have this on this thread but this has more clarity...thanks to wendy for this one..

I have this postcard and, being as I am doing a little on Great Russell Street, I looked into this image. The bill posters on the walls of the buildings show the property details for an auction of the row, the sale being held on 27th March 1914. The sale did not mean that the occupiers were moving on. However, they would have to pay rent to a new leaseholder following the sale.

These buildings were back-to-backs so there were 12 households here rather than just the six fronting the street. Lot No.1 was for the lower of the properties on the right of this photograph, numbered 203, 204 and 205. The Lot also included eight houses at the rear, 3 being part of the main block and a further five up the yard, numbered 1-5 back of 204. The annual rental income from all the households amounted to £109.4s. The auction was for a lease of 54 years with a ground rent of £20. Armed with these figures it is possible to calculate how much these would realise at auction based purely on a calculated return-of-investment and an annual income that generated an interest rate more favourable than that offered by a savings account or bank. This is how most investors did their sums and wished to spend as little as possible on repairs and renovations. Consequently, the properties degenerated over the years and was partly responsible for the mass demolition in the 1960s.

Lot No.2 included Nos.206, 207 and 208, on the left of this photograph, along with another eight houses to the rear. The annual rents collected each year for these properties was slightly higher at £111. The term of lease and ground rent was the same as that in Lot 1. No.208 was occupied by the fruiterer Ernest Smith. That is possibly his wife Leah stood on the doorstep. In 1911 this couple lived at No.7 Court 35, which was part of Lot.1 and
would have been one of the houses to the rear of the main block on the right. They had three young sons, Alfred, Samuel and Ernest.

Last edited:
brilliant info kieron...the 54 year lease falls in nicely with the 1960s demolision...as you say landlords back then were never happy to put their hands in their pockets even for essential repairs...i was bought up in house built around the 1840s which had quite a few problems but cant recall any repairs being done but dad was very handy and we were happy...i do however recall the landlord knocking every week for his rent :D thanks keiron

lyn

brilliant info kieron...the 54 year lease falls in nicely with the 1960s demolision...as you say landlords back then were never happy to put their hands in their pockets even for essential repairs...i was bought up in house built around the 1840s which had quite a few problems but cant recall any repairs being done but dad was very handy and we were happy...i do however recall the landlord knocking every week for his rent :D thanks keiron

lyn
Slight amendment .. a later map c.1950s shows Court 35 a bit lower but the 1889 map which is more accurate shows it was in fact the court to the rear of Lot 1. I have edited it accordingly.

great photo K to add to the ones i already have...its a total disaster at just how many pubs many of them strong buildings that we have lost not just in brum but all over the country..very sad

lyn

Thanks to Lyn for correcting the location of these which I thought were from Guildford Street.

Attachments

• gt-russell-st1.jpg
    gt-russell-st1.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 34
  • gt-russell-st2.jpg
    gt-russell-st2.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 33
My mom, Florence Keats was born at 5 back of 96 Great Russell Street to David and Annie Keats. He was a metal polisher. They had many children, with names such as David, George and Annie

My mom, Florence Keats was born at 5 back of 96 Great Russell Street to David and Annie Keats. He was a metal polisher. They had many children, with names such as David, George and Annie
I don't know if you have a map, but this is the house.

Attachments

• 5bk96-gtrussellst.jpg
    5bk96-gtrussellst.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 31
I don't know if you have a map, but this is the house.
Hi John - would you be able to show Court 26 in Gt Russell Street on that map? My 2 x Gt.Grandparents lived there from about 1851 until after 1871. Fingers crossed!
Thanks Judy

This is the only image I can find unfortunately.

Attachments

• 5bk96-gtrussellst-aerial.jpg
    5bk96-gtrussellst-aerial.jpg
    921.7 KB · Views: 20
Hi John - would you be able to show Court 26 in Gt Russell Street on that map? My 2 x Gt.Grandparents lived there from about 1851 until after 1871. Fingers crossed!
Thanks Judy
Hi Judy,
I think I have located it but the numbering is very small, just need to check it against the census, can you give me a name for a look-up please.

Thanks Judy
Had to go to an 1890 map to find it, not showing on the 1950s map.

Attachments

• Court26-gtrussellst.jpg
    Court26-gtrussellst.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 22
  • court26-gtrussellst-aerial.jpg
    court26-gtrussellst-aerial.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 23
Yes, the images in post #171 are correct then.
Wonderful! Thank you John. It is great to see where the Court was. It looks as though Courts 26 and 27 were combined. I never knew exactly where it was before!! Much appreciated.
Judy

This is the only image I can find unfortunately.
That's brilliant thankyou. I've been digging around as I've been given a box with my mom's birth certificate and marriage certificate and have addresses from which I can begin to piece some history together. Sadly mom died in 1985, but dad is still with us. Alive and kicking is how he'd describe himself!

This post is in reply to a query by member Turner64. Hi Paul, I have attached 1890 and 1950s map, I'm not convinced that there was a back of 86, 2 house, No. 86 as you say was 'Justice Inn'. Looking at censuses for 1881, 1891 & 1901 there are no back houses mentioned, looking at the map the buildings behind No. 86 do not appear to be typical houses, unless it was a private arrangement with the pub landlord to rent part of the pub but in that case they would still have to appear on the census.
Is there a possibility (given the style of handwriting) that it is '36' and not '86' ?
Incidentally, there were numerous Hill families in Gt. Russell Street including another Joseph at 9 house Court 38 (1911) but his wife's name was Martha.

Attachments

• gt-russell-st-maps.jpg
    gt-russell-st-maps.jpg
    1,013 KB · Views: 20
This post is in reply to a query by member Turner64. Hi Paul, I have attached 1890 and 1950s map, I'm not convinced that there was a back of 86, 2 house, No. 86 as you say was 'Justice Inn'. Looking at censuses for 1881, 1891 & 1901 there are no back houses mentioned, looking at the map the buildings behind No. 86 do not appear to be typical houses, unless it was a private arrangement with the pub landlord to rent part of the pub but in that case they would still have to appear on the census.
Is there a possibility (given the style of handwriting) that it is '36' and not '86' ?
Incidentally, there were numerous Hill families in Gt. Russell Street including another Joseph at 9 house Court 38 (1911) but his wife's name was Martha.
Hi John, thank you for the maps. No the baptism record is very clearly “ back of 86 2 house” and this Joesph Hill was married to Mary Ann Hill
Paul

Hi John, thank you for the maps. No the baptism record is very clearly “ back of 86 2 house” and this Joesph Hill was married to Mary Ann Hill
Paul
It's difficult to imagine 2 houses at the back of Justice Inn unless they were actually part of the pub, perhaps other members can throw some light on this.

It's difficult to imagine 2 houses at the back of Justice Inn unless they were actually part of the pub, perhaps other members can throw some light on this.
I agree it’s difficult to imagine. I’ve sat staring at the map trying to work out any computations that might possibly fit the record.
1626802378601.jpeg

could i ask what year the above baptism was...just wondered if there was a renumbering of the street

lyn

Back