• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Russell street

Lyn
Above the window next totthe shop there is a little white sign, which , if you magnify it,says Lot 4, and htere is another two houses down. The other big white patches you can't read, but are laid out as posters in an estate agents window. I reckon the row is being sold in two lots and the big white patches are posters describing the sale
Mike

My 2 x gt grandparents lived in Gt Russell Street in 1854, so these pictures are particularly interesting to me. I have no idea of the number though, the birth certificate does not show it.

What has happened to the brickwork above the windows - has the lintol been replaced or what? Puzzling that. If only pictures could speak..............

hi shortie..shop front removed..arches above the doors removed and bricked over..its a shame you dont have a number for your 2x gt grandparents..would they have lived there in 1851 or 1861 ??? if so you could check the census for the numbers..just a thought...

thanks mike..the info about the posters is very interesting...

lyn

No Lyn, they were in Cheltenham most of their lives, but much to my complete astonishment, they were in Gt Russell Street in 1854 and in Camden Grove in 1856, then they returned to Cheltenham. I think he may have come up here during the workhouse building days - he was a plasterer. It seems to conicide with the time it was built and maybe there was insufficient work in Cheltenham then? We shall probably never know. He returned to Birmingham in 1878 because his eldest son was very ill and later died- that was in Upper Cox Street in 1879. He had a further daughter born there, that is the only way I knew he had been back here. Certificates can often tell a very interesting tale, pity they are so expensive now. Drifted a bit here, sorry..........

no shortie ive enjoyed reading about this part of your family...you are probably right about coming here for the work..happened a lot..as it did with my family..

Lyn, I am now of a mind to think he came up here to plaster some of the houses - I think Smith Street was not built until the 1850's - I just wish I knew for sure. Lots of the JQ was not fully built by then too. I just wish I knew, but it's great to have a pic of the houses, at least I know what the street looked like, although I never saw it.

Lyn, I am now of a mind to think he came up here to plaster some of the houses - I think Smith Street was not built until the 1850's - I just wish I knew for sure. Lots of the JQ was not fully built by then too. I just wish I knew, but it's great to have a pic of the houses, at least I know what the street looked like, although I never saw it.

you are prob right shortie in those days they followed the work do you have an interest in smith st as well..pics are most important as they alone can tell their own stories...

lyn

Yes, Lyn I do. My family were at 66 and 68 if I remember rightly. They went from there to Key Hill.

sure i had an old pic taken on the corner of smith st shortie..will try and find it for you..

ive got 4 pics shortie..kindly sent to me by john houghton will start a new thread under streets section..

bringing to the top for new member lesdudley...my reposted pics start on post 88

lyn

bringing to the top for padgo....padgo ive reposted my pics and they start on post number 88....not sure if the compasses pub is among them...if not i will repost that one as well..

lyn

Hello Lyn, have had a quick look through, it looks like the compasses on the corner in #89 pic 2 and the fish and chip shop in #88 pic3. Would you happen to have a closer pic of the Compasses so that I can add it to my life story. Thanks so far, Dave.

hi dave i think ive got a better one in my files...will sort it out tomorrow for you...

lyn

here you go dave this is a good one of the compasses pub corner of brearley st/gt russell st dated 1961

lyn

Last edited:
Hello Lyn. Brilliant, thanks ever so much, just as I remember it. In the distance on the next corner down is the Rose & Crown, brings back happy memories. Dave.

Back