• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Russell street

An aerial view of Justice Inn from 1948, there certainly seems to be more buildings at the back than what are showing on the map.

Attachments

• justice-inn-aerial-view-1948.jpg
    justice-inn-aerial-view-1948.jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 23
I agree Paul, the only thing I don't understand is why those back houses don't show on any censuses, unless they were part of the Justice Inn and occupants were included in that list of residents. It's good that you have access to several good quality images of the Justice Inn though.

This post is in reply to a query by member Turner64. Hi Paul, I have attached 1890 and 1950s map, I'm not convinced that there was a back of 86, 2 house, No. 86 as you say was 'Justice Inn'. Looking at censuses for 1881, 1891 & 1901 there are no back houses mentioned, looking at the map the buildings behind No. 86 do not appear to be typical houses, unless it was a private arrangement with the pub landlord to rent part of the pub but in that case they would still have to appear on the census.
Is there a possibility (given the style of handwriting) that it is '36' and not '86' ?
Incidentally, there were numerous Hill families in Gt. Russell Street including another Joseph at 9 house Court 38 (1911) but his wife's name was Martha.
Hi brummy - lad
I cant remember if I have contributed to your previous exchanges in relation to the above, but I thought I would add my 2 penneth. My wife who sadly passed away just 2 years ago lived at 4 back of 193 in Great Russel Street and we met at our place of work which was William Newman and Sons just along the road in Hospital Street. We moved to Newquay in Cornwall in 1978, so due to a combination of age and failing memory I am unable to contribute regularly but I still look forward to catch up with the latest contributions. Hope the content might be of interest, my wife was a Griffiths father was Jim mother Nell and sister Ellen.

Hi Derek, I’m so sorry to hear of your loss, responses to any thread are always welcome, it’s amazing how many times these are found to be useful, if not now they may be at some future date, so keep them coming when you are able.

hi derek there are lot of old photos on the thread of gt russell st some show the back houses which you may recognise

lyn

hi derek there are lot of old photos on the thread of gt russell st some show the back houses which you may recognise

lyn
A message which I formulated some time ago and which was in response to your post 695204 which was probably dated around August 2020, some how vanished into the ether. Anyway by chance I came across the message in my photos and this related to the football photos I had sent previously and you asked if I had any idea of the dates because you had a friend who also worked at William Newman between 1969 and 2005. The gist of the content is as follows:-

It's a little bit difficult to put any precise date on the footballing photos but I will do my best. My working life at William Newman and sons started in1955 (age15) as a commercial trainee and I completed 20 years service at the time of leaving in 1975, so your friend and I would have been there at the same time 1969 to 1975 at my time of leaving , a period of about 6 years. You will see from those dates that at the time your friend started I would have been age 29 my footballing career having come to an abrupt end due to injury. Despite this I played for St Andrews Athletic and Birmingham City Colts and although I was captain of Aston Boys during my school years I was never involved in Villa Trials which was a disappointment having lived most of my formative years in Aston. If you look at image 0084 that's me receiving the cup and I think I would have been around 20 the year being around 1960, likewise images 0082/3. It therefor looks that both the football and cricketing Photos are a few years before your friend joined the company. I take it Lyn that you had some connections with Aston, I go back a long time for example when the picture house was called the Astoria before it became the Crossroads Studio. Happy days, sorry I was unable to be a bit more informative.
Derek

Back