• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Hampton Works - Great Hampton Row

alandiamond

I am just in the process of purchasing this property and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the premises or has any family members who know anything about the premises.
I am l;ooking for as much information as possible about anything to do with the premises.
Thank :biggrin:
(Original image not available. This is image from streetview. obtained 2016)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...4!1smohJNl5ad6-r7034YluHcQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by a moderator:
A slight problem here as Great Hampton Works is not listed in the in 1940 directory (chosen at random) have you a number for the works at all?

I am just in the process of purchasing this property and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the premises or has any family members who know anything about the premises.
I am l;ooking for as much information as possible about anything to do with the premises.

Alan sent me an IM just before he started the thread. I have been in touch with Alan off-thread to let him know that I should be able to dig out quite a lot of information as Lambournes belonged to my husband's family.

The following is from memory, so shouldn't be taken as entirely accurate at this stage, but I will sort out the details in the next few days and add them here, as well as sending them to Alan.

The ancestry of the company that became Lambournes in Great Hampton Street is complicated and had its roots in the filemakers (Heptinstall & Lawledge) of Ann Street and later Granville Street (see other threads on the forum, though I haven't yet reposted the pictures). Thomas Barret Lambourne married Eliza Heptinstall (daughter of the filemaker in Granville Street) and after Mr Heptinstall's death, Thomas B Lambourne ran a business in the building in Granville Street. Thomas and Eliza had six children (three sons and three daughters). The three sons went into the family business, which then took several different forms over the years from the early 1900s. I think that at various times it was owned by his grandfather + great uncles and later just his great-uncles, when his grandfather started a different business. Lambournes stayed in family ownership.
I'm certain I have some good pictures of the three sons and some newspaper cuttings from the the early 1900s and also the 1930s. In addition, I think I may have some further background information, but I need to have a search through my 'treasure' trunk. The history of the company is difficult to explain concisely as there was at least one dissolution of partnership and re-forming of a different partnership. I need to have an in depth chat with my husband so that I get the information correct!

In the 1870 directory there are for Great Hampton Row,

172 Webb Miss Ann, Pawnbroker, she was at this address in 1848
173 and 174 Mackey Charles brass founder, in the1850 directory it is a Bailey Edward, brass founder,

The problem getting information from the directory before this date are, they (the Post Office) renumbered certain roads in Brum, the directory's tend to just list the names of the people in Brum and not the roads, so that it is not possible just to look up certain roads I hope that makes sense,

in the last kelly,s directory published (1974) there is for Great Hampton Row
170---174 Lambournes (B ham) Ltd, small ware mfr, Great Hampton Works

Looking at the premises, i would think the building is probably early 2oth century. I got the impression that alan was interested in the building (though Im may be mistaken), in which case there is no point in going back too far.

Looking at the premises, i would think the building is probably early 2oth century. I got the impression that alan was interested in the building (though Im may be mistaken), in which case there is no point in going back too far.

I am interested in the building but anything to do with the area at any time is of interest to me, i am trying to put together as much information as i can, about the building and the area.
Thanks very much for the information so far its been very interesting.
:friendly_wink:

Hi I am trying to make contact with leslam. I have recently purchased Great Hampton Works, Great Hampton Row and the building is currently being refurbished. It would be good to have some information and photos of the history of the building hanging in the common parts. So hoping that leslam will read this thread and make contact. Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Back