• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

great hampton row

lindy i must have walked past that spot a million times ..will keep my eyes open for more pics...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Mikejee, Many thanks for the map. You realy have made my day it's great to see were my Grt Grt grandfather lived..

Once again thank you Pete

PS whats the pub on the corner called ???? just being a bit cheeky !!!!

pete the minerva is still there..well the building is...been closed as a pub for some years now...

lyn

Many Thanks to the pair of you Mikejee and Lyn for the info that given me will be put in my Tree of the rellies !!!

Regards Pete

happy to oblige pete..ive spent many a happy hour in that pub...outside lavvys as well lol..

lyn

Just had a look on google earth and there is still a pub on the corner of greathamton row it's called the hampton would that be the old Minerva after having a revamp ????

Regards Pete

happy to oblige pete..ive spent many a happy hour in that pub...outside lavvys as well lol..

lyn

yes pete thats the one...like i said earlier as far as i know its not been open for a few years now..but i stand to be corrected on that...

lyn

oh well done wessex..i couldnt find one..the beamed effect was done when it became the hampton...i do have a pic of it when it was the minerva vaults but cant post this one because of copywrite...

lyn

hi folks just going through some very old old brum mags and ive come accross a pic of colmore terrace..gt hampton row... will scan an post it later on..mike if you see this post could we have a map if poss please showing where colmore terrace was...cheers mike...

lyn

Map below showing houses in colmore Terrace.Am not sure about a few others , whether they were in terrce or not. It was at the north end on west side just below New john St West

map_c_1889_Gt_Hampton_row_showing_colmore_Terrace.jpg

Just come across an older picture of the Minerva Vaults.moss

Attachments

• Great Hampton Row,Hockley. Minerva Vaults.jpg
    Great Hampton Row,Hockley. Minerva Vaults.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 41
great photo moss new one to me...

thanks for the map mike ive got me bearings now..will scan and post the pic...

lyn

So Lyn,Colmore Terrace was directly behind George Fisher gents hairdresser.I wonder where the entry was?moss

img502.jpgyes moss i agree with that...here is a pic to go with mikes map of colmore terrace on post 102..looks like snow on the ground and i noticed an unusually larger building on the left..wonder what that was...must go and study the map..sorry for the quality not being that good but it came from a 16 year old paper...looks like the way in was down the entry showing on gt hampton row on mikes map

Last edited:
Lyn. If you look at the map of colmore place , the building does not seem to fit in well with the square. It also seems like an older style. the Pigot Smith map of c 1814 shows a building around there that was set alone on the edge of what is now Birmingham . At first it seems a different shape, but if you include the building (not in red) attached to it, and the one (not in red) attached to that, then it is about the right shape. I have superimposed the pigot smith map and the 1913 map on google earth and the building appears to be close to where the pigot smith building is. The road on th earlier map diverges to the west slightly, so although it is next to the road in 1824, it is off the road in 1913 . If this building was something to do with the Colmores, then this would explain the name of the terrace. On the second map below I have circled the house in blue. It would appear to be about where Geach tower is shown on google

pigot_smith_super_onn_1913_map_and_google__house_cirled.jpg

gt_hampton_row_pigot_smith_half.jpg

Following on from that i remembered something saw some time ago. the 1810 Kempson map shows Colmore Lodge st just about where that building is, which fits with the name of the terrace

1810_Kempson_map_showing_colmore_LodgeA.jpg

wow mike this is great info and maps as well....i did wonder if colmore terrace was named after the colmore family who i believe were a big noise round there back in the day...totally agree that colmore lodge and indeed colmore terrace was near to where geach tower now sits. and having a pic of it makes the photo i posted even more important....i lived in geach tower for 6 years..i am only guessing but given the date of pigots map showing the lodge and the style of it i would say it was geogian

brilliant mike thank you.

lyn

Last edited:
Great info, maps and photos Lyn and Mike. Colmore Lodge must have originally been the lodge of a large house. Any ideas which large house? Viv.

morning viv...cant see anything on the pigot map that looks like there may have been a larger colmore house near to the lodge..seem to remember that before all the streets were cut the area was known as st georges in the fields because thats what the church was surrounded by..the fields were rented out much on the lines i guess as the allotments we have today...

lyn

hi there ;
if my memory serves me correctly i can recall the stories of what our dear old mom used to tell us about her growing up
and they had a coffee shop where tey lived ;it was grt hampton row ; or grt hampton street around the hockley area
and it was during the war years when she was growing up and she said that not far from her shop there was a big bomb that went off and shook
there shop and it made a big crater in the rd it shook every think and done alot of damage to the rd
can anybody enlighen me on this it must have been during 1945 years ;
best wishes astonian;

morning viv...cant see anything on the pigot map that looks like there may have been a larger colmore house near to the lodge..seem to remember that before all the streets were cut the area was known as st georges in the fields because thats what the church was surrounded by..the fields were rented out much on the lines i guess as the allotments we have today...

lyn

Hi Lyn I can only think then that it must have been a lodge for New Hall. Viv.

hi viv yes you are probably right i think...even now i still look at the old pics and maps from my neck of the woods and marvel at how it used to be...

lyn

Lyn
West’s 1830 directory lists Henry Woodfield as at Colmore Lodge
In the 1855 Whites directory the occupants of Colmore lodge are listed as :
Bentley William, currier, Colmore lodge, St. George's terrace
Partridge William, carpenter and builder, Colmore Lodge, Gt. Hampton row
So either the terrace changed its name or possibly St Georges terrace is the two houses (probably the lodge split) at right angle to Colmore terrace on the 1889 map
In Dix’s 1858 directory Partridge still seems to be there, though the lodge is not named

In 1862, Partridge is not listed, but a William Bentley is listed as brassfounder (bit different from currier) at 94 Gt Hampton row, which is two doors down from the entrance to the terrace

thanks mike and yes i understand what you are saying...where would we be without your input...

thanks again mike....really appreciate it...

lyn

Thanks Mikejee for all the & maps & photo's could i imposse on you and ask if you could show where #13 greathampton row as my grt grandfather thomas mayo lived there

Regards Pete ex pat

On the 1841 census the young Joseph Lucas,then aged 7 lived in Gt Hampton Row and his address is just 7 dwellings from Colmore Lodge.Chances are that he lived in Colmore terrace.moss

This extract from an Evening Mail article about the origins of Summer Lane mentions Colmore Terrace and Lodge. Only 5 dwellings in the terrace in 1813 according to this. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351796083.168617.jpg

Back