• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

great hampton row

Right Lyn
Below are a series of small maps showing around the Vampire site from 1890 to 1955. Have amrked Vampire main frontage building in red, though some of the small buildings behind are likely to have been associated with it in 1890. The first two there is no doubt, and I think that most will agree that my estimate of the position of the Vampire in the alter maps is reasonable. The Vampire seem sto be at the far end of the later Albion building

map_c_1890_gt_hamp_row_vampire.jpg

map_c_1903_gt_hamp_row_vampire.jpg

map_c_1917_gt_hamp_row_vampire.jpg

map_c_1937_gt_hamp_row_vampire.jpg

map_c_1955_gt_hamp_row_vampire.jpg

thanks mike so moss was right then about the vampire pub building still being there in the 50s...as on my pic of the albion works he spotted the original vampire sign..think i made the mistake of going by your map on post 16 as the vampire looked quite a way from the albion works...i still cant make out the word vampire but there again me eyes are not as good as they used to be...lol

lyn

Last edited:
well spotted moss...just to finish up it looks like the albion works also turfed out thomas knight the pork butcher who was at no 34...in 1921 neither he or the vampire is listed but knights had moved to nos 38/39 gt hampton row...

glad thats sorted...

lyn

Thanks Lyn,i couldnt read the vampire either,it was just the half circle that caught my eye.moss

moss i really do need to go to spec savers lol..spotted the half circle in the end but i had to put me glasses on and even then it was difficult...i still cant get over the name vampire yard...would love to find a pic of it..

lyn

mike i think just for the heck of it i would...so long as someone else was in front of me lol..must be one of the most unusual names for a place to live....

lyn

I know you're mainly discussing pubs on this thread (how VERY unusual!) but this was the only one I could find to put the photos on and it is Gt Hampton Row.
So....this is St. Georges Park, built on the site of St. Georges Church and containing a few fairly eroded gravestones and the large memorial.
Photos taken yesterday (21/7/2012)

Attachments

• St Georges Park.jpg
    St Georges Park.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 18
  • St Georges Park Memorial.jpg
    St Georges Park Memorial.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 21
charlie its tragic the way that what remains of the many headstones that were once there are just propped up against the out walls of the church..many of them broken and smashed...your second pic shows where thomas rickman is buried..died 1841 and it was he who designed amongst other buildings st georges church...

lyn

Hi folks, Ive just discovered in the 1849 Whites Directory and Gazetteer of Birmingham that an ancestor of mine had a Butcher's shop at 129 Gt Hampton Row...I've had a look on Old-Maps but I can't work out where it would have been especially as the enhanced zoom isnt available now and my eyesight isnt that good !! Would anyone be able to pinpoint it for me .... or point me in the direction of a map of the era please :)

Lindyloo
Of course one cannot be sure whether the building in 1849 was the same as in 1889, but here is map showing no 129 on c 1889 map in red

map__c_1889__Gt_Hampton_Row__No_129.jpg

Thank you so much Mike :) ... most appreciated.
Am I right in thinking it is Brearley Street on the left ?

Thanks again Mike...don't know my left from my right!!
Thanks to you also Lyn :) that helped a lot.
There doesnt look to be anything left of the original buildings from what I can see on googlemaps, more's the pity !!
Im guessing that 129 may perhaps have been between Harry's kebab Hut and the last block of flats on the Row before Mosborough Crescent ? although knowing my navigational skill level, I'm probably way off the mark !!

lindy i used to live in the last block of flats before mosborough cres and yes i would think you are about right..there maybe one or two old factories left at the constitution hill end of gt hampton row but apart from that everything has gone..

lyn

Thanks for the confirmation Lyn :)..what a coincidence !! I've just checked out the other end of the Row on Google and I see what you mean.. I noticed on Mike's map that there is a pub on the one corner which I think says The Star and Garter, would you happen to know if any photos are on here of that please.

EDIT..just found a photo of the Star and Garter at the beginning of the thread but it would be great if there were others taken from a different angle...might be too much to hope for though ??

Hi Lindyloo

Sorry it is the same as the one in the start of the thread, i just
cleaned it up a bit.

Regards Stars

lindy go back to post 4..thats the block of flats before mosborough crescent..

Thanks for that Lyn, :) I had looked at the photo but not associated it with todays view. I wonder what my ancestor of 1849 would have made of the high rise flats!!

Hi mossg. Just noticed the picture of George Fisher's barber shop. Brings back memories as a child. George was a very good friend of my grandfather. He was always going on about "George Fisher this" ..."George Fisher that". Strange how after all these years the memories and names are as fresh as ever. Regards. willey

Thanks for that Lyn, :) I had looked at the photo but not associated it with todays view. I wonder what my ancestor of 1849 would have made of the high rise flats!!

lindy prob much the same as what i think of them...not a lot...

lyn

Back