• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grandad in the navy.

F

flounder

My grandad was in the navy as a lad, he told a little fib and said he was 18, but he was only 17 (naughty boy), he was on minesweepers in 1942, but he cant remember the name/s. Is there any way we can find out which ones or one he was on, he has pics but these give nothing away?

Thanks
Wendy.xxx

Hi Flounder, does you grandfather have his discharge papers? If so, the names of all the ships he was on together with the time served on board would be written on the discharge papers.

Hope this helps. Anthea:)

Hi Anthea, i dont think he has to be honest because he has never mentioned or showed them to us, he is always showing the kids his pictures and telling us where he went and such, so i dont think he has them. I will ask him, but if he hasnt got them, what else can we do?

Thanks again
Wendy.xxx

My grandad was in the navy as a lad, he told a little fib and said he was 18, but he was only 17 (naughty boy), he was on minesweepers in 1942, but he cant remember the name/s. Is there any way we can find out which ones or one he was on, he has pics but these give nothing away?

Thanks
Wendy.xxx

Wendy,
Without his discharge papers the chances are you will never find out which sweepers he was on.

Hi thanks for your help, he has just popped in, going shopping bless him, and he's told me he was based at HMS Europa in Lowerstoff(sp?) and his 1st ship was HMS Buster, around 1944 as he was 19 at the time, he does have his discharge papers somewhere but because he never mentioned them i never thought to ask, also we are jogging his memory on things, poor thing is getting hassled to high heaven, am having a good look now at the site, looks really interesting.

Wendy.xxxx

flounder can you check HMS Buster ? trying to find a photo, no joy at this time Dave

Hi Dave, do have a photo of grandad on HMS Buster, but only small, will try and get it off him and scan it (now that'll be an experience, completely pants on computor) He showed me the wallet type thing they were given when he was stationed at HMS Europa, he is loving all this, me bringing back all his memories. Wish i could find a picture of the whole ship, in detail for him.

Thanks for looking
Wendy.xxx

Mention of HMS Buster appears here and there on the internet. It seems it was described as an ASW (anti-submarine-warfare) trawler and was launched in 1942. This function is borne out by the description in Alf's link.

As they are only small, Wendy, I suggest you scan any pics at a high definition setting, say 600/800 dpi, so that you will get as much detail out of them as possible when you enlarge them. You may well be pleasantly surprised about what is there.

Chris

flounder would like to see your small photo, I might be able to match it up with a larger pic Dave

Hi all, thank you so much for all your help, my internet is up and down at the moment, so cant always get on, will ask grandad when he pops over today to confirm the name of his ship and will also get the pics off him this weekend and get my lads to help me put them on here (comes to something when 13 and 14 year olds know more about computors than me!)
Thanks again, grandad loves chatting about his navy days.

Wendy.xxx

Thanks so much, mad weekend, will get them pics on here before the end of the week, thats my mission, difficult when the boys have a social life and i dont lol

Thanks again
wendy.xxx

Hi all,

sadly grandad hasnt found the pictures yet, havent been able to help as my 9 year old and myself has tonsilitus. The pictures cant be far as 1 of my sons took them into school for show and tell. Will try and get them sorted asap.
Thanks again for all your help and interest.

Wendy.

Back