• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

hi georgie, i am sorry but i was too young to remember peoples
names, i remember the yard in sheep st very well ,we passed it every day, most times it was closed, every now & again we see the workers
loading their lorry. there was gas meter stores next to budds, if you
look at phils picture 1162 i think you can just see budds site
behind the schools in gem st, its a great picture.
my dad only worked at budds during the summer months & worked on site
erecting marqees
i knew more kids around aston st /legge st, i went to bishop ryders school
gem st,
in the kellys dir 1941 n budd where at 59 60 61 sheep st. i hope this helps a little terry

Hi Terry, I'm looking at the photo of Gem St School... where do you think Budds yard is... on the right of the photo? There is a Shed roof or something in the School yard... with 3 pale lines down it... is Budds yard directly behind this? Georgie

Hi Terry.... Thank you so much for taking the time to do all this for me. So on the photo... it looks as if the gates are open and 2 cars parked inside...

I haven't seen this particular advert before... where did you manage to find this one? There was another part of the family also called N.Budd in Wolverhampton who were Master Engravers and they did some wonderful headed paper and the marquees are printed on that.... Also when my Uncle died we found an engraving plate that I had printed up... all of small marquees...

I lived in Erdington and one of our neighbours had a business in Sheep Street too... almost opposite Kyrle Hall... his name was Harold Kinman... but what the business was called I do not know.
I can remember a little corner shop on the same side as Kyrle Hall, it was just a short distance from KH. A very kind lady that used to help us girls out sometimes!

265 and 264 Aston Road are now under the Students Union... I have yet to see the Water Fountain that stood on the corner of Legge Street and Aston Road by Gosta Green Library.. I have photos of it in situ today. I have photos of my Gt Uncle and Dad locking up a workshop in Legge Street for the very last time! buildings to the side already demolished.

Hope you don't mind if I come back with more questions from time to time.
Thank you Terry... Georgie :)

Terry

I hope you don't mind but I've tidied your photo up a bit and enlarged it a little.

Phil

26/01/2012. Sorry as this wasn't my photo I didn't keep a copy.

Terry:

Excellent - now we're getting somewhere. This compares favourably with Mike's map in posting #1029 showing the corner of Brick Kiln Street and Corporation Street chamfered off.

What book did that one come from?

Regards,

Maurice

Here's another one of Aston St, the oddly shaped and designed Warwick Castle public house on the corner of Gem St taken in 1966. Not long before demolition by the looks of it.

Phil

Attachments

• Gosta Green Warwick Castle 1966 Aston St .jpg
    Gosta Green Warwick Castle 1966 Aston St .jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 31
Hi phil, thanks very much, you have it a proper picture,
and another great pictureof aston st, phil the warwick
castle pub was between duke st & sheep st thanks terry.

Maurice the picture was from our brum vol 3 - carl chinn terry.

I contemplated for a while as to where was the best place to post this, but in the end opted for here, where anyone with an interest in Dartmouth Street or the surname DERRINGTON can find it. It's actually an Order Enquiry card for slates in 1931. What more can I say?

Regards,

Maurice

Hi Maurice

I remember Derringtons from Dartmouth St and Heneage St. I used to pass by often on my way to Woodcock St baths.

They also had a place in Speedwell Rd, Hay Mills until a couple of years or so ago when they sold out to Tipper Brothers.

I wonder if the original Deringtons were anything to to with the brick makers Derrington & Bayliss that operated the quarry and brickmaking firm just over the Speedwell Rd years before. The name and choice of business is a bit of a coincidence.

Phil

Hi Phil,

It was amongst a batch of cards I picked up at a postcard fair some years ago. I used to buy & sell old postcards. I see it says "Derrington and Sons", so quite possible that each son was responsible for different facets of the business. I only retained it because I also have an interest in old mines and quarries.

There's a bit of a write-up here:-

https://www.grantonline.com/pugh-fa...uarries/ffestiniog/rhosydd/rhosydd-quarry.htm

Regards,

Maurice

If my memory serves me right they were across from Holbrooks near the traffic lights. I remember when I must have been looking for a job soon after I left school someone saying they did not pay good wages there.

Tell me any company that paid good wages until we got into the 70's and for those young kids between 14 -18 the money was just daylight robbery, but they were still expected to do the same work as adults.

The jobs I went through between the ages of 15 and 18 numbered into double figures.

Phil

Phil:

I didn't say that anyone was good, just that Perry were worse than most. When I moved to Dorset in 1961, I was offered two thirds of my wages at Lucas Great King Street for far more responsibility and a lot more hours.

Some companies in Birmingham were paying a lot more than could be obtained in much of the rest of the UK.

Regards,

Maurice

Maurice

I understand what you are saying, but what gets me is, how some people started in these factories as young kids fresh from school and worked there all their lives until retirement age.

What did they end up with, a state pension and precious little else. They spent all their life slogging away making somebody else rich.

Phil

Phil:

I couldn't agree more. My own father collapsed on the job at Perry Pens at the age of 69 and died in Selly Oak Hospital the following day. Prior to WW1, he had worked as a haulier for the railway out of Curzon Street and enlisted in 1914. He was invalided out of the Army in 1916, only to be told that his job had been given to a married man with children - he was still single at that time. Despite the poor reputation that Perrys had, it was the only job on offer for an unskilled man and he stayed there till he died.

'Nuff said!

Regards,

Maurice

hi folks...ive just come accross this pic of the redevelopment of duddeston and nechells....whats interests me is the little house in the bottom left hand corner... it looks quite old and i wondered if any of you nechells experts could give any info on it and is it still there..

many thanks.

lyn

ps sorry if this has been posted before.

hi terry.. as this is not my neck o the woods exactly i dont know....it just looked interesting...im sure someone will sort it out for us...

lyn

Hi

Lyn & Terry

I think it is too close to be St Matthews, Its more likely to be the end of Loxton st School.

I should await confirmation by a real expert though.

Phil

A few more street scenes of Gosta Green that I don't think have been posted before. One of Coleshill Street, one of Prospect Row, and another one of Aston St.

Phil

Attachments

• Gosta Green Aston Rd opp Pritchet St .jpg
    Gosta Green Aston Rd opp Pritchet St .jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Gosta Green Coleshill St - Prospect Row 1940.jpg
    Gosta Green Coleshill St - Prospect Row 1940.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Gosta Green Coleshill St 1914 .jpg
    Gosta Green Coleshill St 1914 .jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 26
Back