• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Goosemoor Lane

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I am not sure if this link is on the site..... https://www.geocities.com/goosemoorlane/history.htm It has been built up over the last three years by a local resident Gary O'Brien and has a lot of information about Birmingham
social service websites and connections as well asWW1 and WW2 information about bombing in the area. He is an advocate for many aspects of life in the northern sector of Birmingham including crime, road accidents, street llighting etc. Gary updates the site every Monday. Gary is an ex-policeman and is in his mid 30's I believe. The site mentioned here is part of a whole web site of many pages.

Thank you

Hello Jennyann,:) I too have spent ages on this site (Erdington) it's so fulll of memories with lots of information which i have wanted to know about for years, i haven't finished yet. Thank you......Cat:)

Gary O'Brian's site is excellent and has been online for a few years now. I get an e-mail every Monday with his newsletter on it. Gary is fairly young and is retired from the Birmingham Police Force due to health reasons. He likes to give out his personal political views as well as local information. The link from this site has disappearedso thanks for posting David.

I send this site the odd photo and news I hear about, I just sent two pics, bus shelter and park improvement......good local site,
He recently changed his site location to the above...

Frothy, I know why you like this story.......TIME was called on one side of the pub so you could just walk over to the other
part under different licensing rules and still keep on drinking...brilliant

Hi Frothy and Dave....lovely photos of both of you at the Stag's Head meet up by the way. Passed The Greyhound many times over the years and hadn't been by for five years this time and there it was still
there. Great to know that.

It's after one in the am here in Vancouver chucking it down with rain. Good morning one and all.

Can't remember if i put this before, it is an old newspaper photo of the shop next door to the pub. The people that own and run it took the shop over from these people many years ago and found the cutting under the counter and i scanned it and printed it with an old pic of the pub for them

View attachment 46009

bren

What an interesting picture Bren. The advertising is fascinating. Tobacco, cigarettes and chocolate manufacturers were
great for getting their message out on small shops back then. Thanks for posting.

That's a great photo. My Dad told me when he left school at fourteen in 1925 he was a window dresser for Players cigarettes. He lived with his sister at the time in Slade Road.

I have a slight interest about Goosemoor Lane because I spent the first year of my life there with my parents in lodgings.
This first pic shows the junction with Court Lane and looking at the hats and dresses of the two women in the pic could be dated 1920 or earlier. Note five trees on the left ....
GoosemoorLane.jpg

From a website https://www.goosemoor-lane.com/history.htm a second pic shows the junction in April 1931. Large trees on the left but cannot be counted in this pic. The building on the right seen in the first pic looks possibly derelict in this pic..
goosemoor1931.jpg

Also from the same website a third pic shows the junction in August 1932. Five trees can be seen in this pic and circular low walls have been built round them. Lots of work had been done in the 15 months since the date of the previous pic.
goosemoort1932.jpg

The junction today and 4 of the trees have gone and the walls have become square. The 3rd one is missing but there is a tree in the 4th square wall and it looks old.
GoosemoorNow.JPG
see https://goo.gl/maps/rqST1xi1yV32

As more people bought cars, small garages started up and one opened in Goosemoor Lane as seen in this pic dated 1934. The large building partially showing behind the tree on the left is the Pavillion Cinema on the corner of Gravelly Lane and Chester Road.
GoosePetrol1934.JPG

Neither the garage nor the cinema are there today as seen below. The Pavillion closed as a cinema in 1960 to be used as a bowling alley but was eventually demolished in 1974. I'm not sure when the garage was closed and demolished.
GooseGarage.JPG

Last edited:
I recall the garage was still there throughout the 70's and little changed from the photo c1934

I've put this somewhere on the forum but we used to get our paraffin from this garage in the 1950's. Walked from the pre-fab over the park.

Back