• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Goodes in Tower Road?

Tentative46

Brummie babby
Does anyone remember if a William and Gertrude Goode lived in Tower Road Aston anytime between 1939 and 1954.They are my husbands Grandparents and we have been told they may have lived there..

They don't seem to be listed there on any of the online ERs but that is only selected years. To check the other years you would have to go to the library.

And they would only appear if they were there long enough that they registered to vote.

there is a gertrude E born 1876 and william H goode born 1875 living at no 16 templeton road birmingham on the 1939 eve of war register ...looks like their 2 children are also with them...alfred and walter J goode...could this be them...william is down as public works tramway labourer..if they are your rellies then i think i have their marriage cert 1898 at st georges church newtown..also do you know if they had a son frederick charles b 1922 ?...if so there is an index card on ancestry showing he was a prisoner of war in japan the card states his parents were gertrude and william goode of templeton road.all info found on ancestry

lyn

Last edited:
I saw them and wondered - Gertrude and William together with right surname. Did wonder though if member was looking for a later address.

william H goode and gertrude E goode are living at 1/36 tower road aston on the 1950 electoral rolls so i assume that they left templeton road gt barr and by 1950 they lived in tower road...

lyn

Below is a map showing 36 tower Road. coloured in blue. You can see that there are no obvious back houses, so the building must have been converted into two residences. This agrees with the fact that in the 1939 electoral roll there is no 1/36, only no 36

map 1950s showing 36 tower Road.jpg

there is a gertrude E born 1876 and william H goode born 1875 living at no 16 templeton road birmingham on the 1939 eve of war register ...looks like their 2 children are also with them...alfred and walter J goode...could this be them...william is down as public works tramway labourer..if they are your rellies then i think i have their marriage cert 1898 at st georges church newtown..also do you know if they had a son frederick charles b 1922 ?...if so there is an index card on ancestry showing he was a prisoner of war in japan the card states his parents were gertrude and william goode of templeton road.all info found on ancestry

lyn

Yes they are my husbands ancestors. There was a Frederick Charles Goode who was in the Special Service Detachment unit in the Far East. After making a 2,000 mile trek across jungle clad mountains he was captured and imprisoned in Rangoon Central Jail, ending up working on the Burma railway. He survived and was liberated in April 1945. His son has written a book about his Dad's wartime journey "No Surrender in Burma"

william H goode and gertrude E goode are living at 1/36 tower road aston on the 1950 electoral rolls so i assume that they left templeton road gt barr and by 1950 they lived in tower road...

lyn
Gertrude is still living there on the 1955 eroll.

Is it possible from looking at the enrolls to see which year they moved from Templeton Road to 1/36 Tower Road.
Really appreciate your info on all of this.

Is it possible from looking at the enrolls to see which year they moved from Templeton Road to 1/36 Tower Road.
Really appreciate your info on all of this.
they were still at templeton road on the 1945 electoral rolls so we can narrow the move to tower road as between 1945 to 1950..i dont think the in between years are online..for those you would need to visit the library of birmingham..quite surprised that gertrude and william moved from a brand new house to a back to back in aston most with no running hot water..inside toilets or bathrooms and due for demolision..maybe it was to be near to family..as you probably know the templeton road house is still there

lyn

Last edited:
Thank You. We have surmised that they moved out so that their son Walter who had twin boys born 1943 could live in Templeton Road house.

Back