• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gooch Street

missvulcan81

Hi, I apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place, I am new to this forum, please advise if I should post this elsewhere!

I am hoping to find - or be pointed in the direction of - some photos of Gooch Street in the 1950's - in particular, number 193. My late Grandfather Dante Giansante lived and worked here during this time and I would love to see some pictures, as this was also my mum's first home. My Grandfather was a hairdresser and I am led to believe, quite well-known in his time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help :)

Missvulcan

missvulcan81

Dante's was a well known hairdressers in the area though I'm afraid I never used the shop myself. I can't supply a photo of the shop itself, but here are a few of Gooch St. The first one is of the end of Gooch Street going toward Benacre Street which is the section of the road the shop was on, it was on the left hand side.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Gooch St 1940.jpg
    Balsall Heath Gooch St 1940.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Balsall Heath Gooch St at Highgate St 1949 .jpg
    Balsall Heath Gooch St at Highgate St 1949 .jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Highgate Gooch St 1963.JPG
    Highgate Gooch St 1963.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Highgate Gooch St 1966 .jpg
    Highgate Gooch St 1966 .jpg
    135 KB · Views: 128
  • Highgate Gooch St 1967 (2).jpg
    Highgate Gooch St 1967 (2).jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 139
Hello Missvulcan. My family lived at 2/199 Gooch Street during the late 40's to 1956. I remember your grandfather well. I also remember his pretty daughter Angelina. Would she have been your mother by any chance? I can remember your Grandparents moving into the shop after purchasing it from the Miller family. Harold Miller was the previous Hairdresser. I have not seen any photo's of the shop on this site but if I do find any I will put them on for you.

Hello Missvulcan. My family lived at 2/199 Gooch Street during the late 40's to 1956. I remember your grandfather well. I also remember his pretty daughter Angelina. Would she have been your mother by any chance? I can remember your Grandparents moving into the shop after purchasing it from the Miller family. Harold Miller was the previous Hairdresser. I have not seen any photo's of the shop on this site but if I do find any I will put them on for you.

Hi Missvulcan / Phil - I found this photo o another site. It shows Gooch Street shops in 1951. To the right of the end of the photo is where we lived and Dantes hairdressers would be. All I need now is the next photo's in the series and we should be there.Gooch st 1951.jpg

We need an expert on that one Stitcher. I don't know the area at all.

But the photo's an interesting one. Looks about 1960s in the midst of major redevelopment. Just a few old buildings hanging in there - one probably a butcher's shop with the striped awning. Those street lamps look very familiar - painted cream and brown if I remember correctly. Viv.

I would think both, depending on which part of Gooch St, but probably more Highgate. Phil could probably give a more authoratatve view

A bit difficult this, as both Balsall Heath & Highgate come under the B12 postal code, but I would think that most of Gooch Street would be recognised as Highgate by any local. Though Balsall Heath has always been difficult to contain as over the years it adopted great swathes of Edgbaston that was unwanted by anybody at least we always recognised Varna Rd and surrounding streets as part of Balsall Heath.

Yes Radiorails looking at the map none of Gooch Street was in fact in Birmingham 12, but as I said the locals always recognised it as part of Highgate.

map Balsall Heath 2.jpg

I always found interesting Birmingham street signs, the cast ones, with the pleasing , decorative style which usually gave the postal district. I suspect, since post codes were introduced, there have been changes to the district boundaries.
iu

Unable to find old style name for Gooch Street, only modern ones, so chose this as an example.

Last edited:
I think that picture was taken the top end of Gooch Street, Sherlock Street, by the look of the Maisonette's.

That seems plausible Charlie. The tall block of flats has gone but the lower level block can, I think, still be seen on Streetview. Interesting in that even some of the 1960s buildings have gone which would have only just been built in the old photo. Viv.

I've moved the posts #7-#15 to this thread from the Balsall Heath thread. There are some interesting views of the street in earlier posts on here including another image of the block of flats posted by Phil in his post #2 (and titled 'Highgate'). Viv.

Viv

I think the older photo on the thread you refer to was taken much further along Gooch Street than the one that you have just moved. The first of these photos I am posting now would be closer to where the one you have moved was taken, in fact you can see what used to be the Wand Medical centre in both images on the left of the photo. The second photo taken from a little further back puts the image in better perspective, as some early images have a problem with depth and tend to show things closer than they in fact are. and in fact the moved photo would have been taken from roughly the middle right position of this second image. I hope I have been able to explain this clearly enough to be understood.

Gooch Street.jpg Balsall Heath Gooch St.jpg

I'd say Gooch Street is in Highgate. B5.

A modern road sign near Sherlock Street.

On the no 35 bus route.

I was born in the workhouse hospital in June 1938 my mother lived at 140 Gooch st at the time and l ways bombed out in the war anybody of my age remember Gooch st at this time and any photographs?
Post added to this thread and extended

Last edited by a moderator:
From a facebook site devoted to identifying unidentified photos .The photo is is identified by James Gregg and described as:
A family photo, c1938, Teal's Stores with the owner George Archie (Archibald) Teal (1891-1957) stood outside. It is number 199 and somewhere in Birmingham but I have never found exactly where

199 gooch st.jpg

It’s been replaced by housing and would have been directly opposite Barford Street. Viv.

Back