• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Glovers Road Chinese shop

Hi there old Bob of cooksey road here. Dose anybody know any thing about a small chinese shop in glover's road small heath by goldenhilock road.

I can't see any shops at the top of Glowers on Google. Where is it?

My dad lived at 103 1/3 Golden Hillock Road just before he got married to mom. Always thought that an off number but it did exist at one time as I remember looking for it from the the number 8 bus when I used to go visit my nan (she lived in Sydenham Road)

My dad lived at 103 1/3 Golden Hillock Road just before he got married to mom. Always thought that an off number but it did exist at one time as I remember looking for it from the the number 8 bus when I used to go visit my nan (she lived in Sydenham Road)
Originally, there were four shops at the top of Glovers Road, numbers 83, 85, 87 and 89, which lay back off the pavement, and I think it was either 83 or 89 which became a Chinese gift shop. All this side of Glovers Road, and the whole of Cooksey Road and Bolton Road, were demolished in the so called Slum Clearance, but Small Heath is not what it used to be.,
PA739

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there old Bob of cooksey road here. Dose anybody know any thing about a small chinese shop in glover's road small heath by goldenhilock road.
Hi old Bob ,I Iived in glovers road until 1964 . The shop you refer to was owned by a mrs see, I think the name over the shop was A SEE,she used to sell cheap odds and ends.

Hi Suemalings,

Can you clarify the address as I'm not sure what you mean by 1/3? I was born in 103 Golden Hillock Road but in the original house in 1950. Sorry if I'm late to the post but I'm relatively new to the forum!

Originally, there were four shops at the top of Glovers Road, numbers 83, 85, 87 and 89, which lay back off the pavement, and I think it was either 83 or 89 which became a Chinese gift shop. All this side of Glovers Road, and the whole of Cooksey Road and Bolton Road, were demolished in the so called Slum Clearance, but Small Heath is not what it used to be.,
PA739
Anybody got any photos and does anybody remember Harry's shop a bit further down?

Anybody got any photos and does anybody remember Harry's shop a bit further down?
Are you thinking of Harry Hawkins newsagents shop at 63 Glovers Road?
Harry ran the shop with his sister, but they lived in Shirley, and came down to the shop in their little blue Skoda car which he parked on the pavement in front of the shop.
This is where I had my regular magazines from, "Commercial Motor", "Motor Transport", "Modern Transport", "Bus & Coach" and "Oil Engine & Gas Turbine".
PA739

Back