• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Girling George Frederick

rogergirling

proper brummie kid
Trying to find where he was in 1901, she was born 27 Dec 1881 in B`ham , I have him in 1891 and in 1911 onwards after he married Mary Jane Ballingerin 1909.

Re: George Frederick Girling

Hi, can't find anyone close to your relative on Ancestry, I have the same problem with one of my family, lost altogether in 1881.
Will try again later for you - his parents are still in Aston with his 2 younger brothers and 2 further sisters on the 1901 census.
Sue

Hi Roger
If you check Ancestry's pension records there is one for a George Fredrick (sic) Girling, father William Girling, enlisting 28th Dec 1898 in the King's Royal Rifle Corps aged 18 in Bham.
Hope this is your person:) It does mention his wife in his later records as Mary Jane Girling, 12 Bath Passage, Bham.
Suzanne

:)Hi Suzanne
Thanks for the information, I have checked it out and it is indeed my the person i was looking for (my grandfather) all I need now is to find where his future wife was in 1901.
Do you by any chance have access to electoral rolls ?
Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated.
Regards
Roger

Hi Roger
Glad it was correct. Yes I do have electoral rolls up to 1955.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne
Could you help me a little further regarding the same couple by looking at the electoral rolls.
After his marriage to Mary Jane Ballinger in 1909 George Frederick Girling was living at 12 Bath Passage, Monument Road, Ladywood, B`ham and the 1911 census confirms this.
The next address I had was on two birth cerificates for 1921 & 1923 and this was 8 Ebenezer Terrace, Morville Street ,Ladywood, B`ham.
At some time after this he left his wife Mary Jane .
The only other address I had for him was at the time of his death he was living at 62 Park Road, Bearwood, Smethwick.
His death certificate stated this address and also that it was reported by his son K C Girling, which must have been the son of the person he moved in or remarried too
Would it be possible to check on this address for any years that you have access to.
His wife who I am unable to find in the 1901 census was living at 37 Mount Street Nechells,B`ham in 1891 but I do not know when she moved from here.

Many thanks in advance.
Regards
Roger

Roger
1912 8 Court 5 Morville Street - George Girling
1918 as above - George Frederick Girling - 322630, Gnr, 21st Sge Batt, RGA
1920 as above - George Frederick & Mary Jane Girling
1922 as above
1925 as above
1927 as above
1930 as above
1935 101 Clark Street - Mary Jane Girling & George Frederick Girling, Arthur Girling, Eric Girling
1939 as above - Mary Jane, Arthur, Eric, Albert John Girling
1945 as above - Mary Girling
1950 as above
1955 as above
1939 83 Clark Street - George Frederick Girling, Elsie Bond, Lily Girling
1945 as above - George Frederick Girling, Lily Girling
also 1950 & 1955

Don't know if the last two is your man? - I am still looking for other addresses though.

Suzanne

Roger
A George F Girling married a Lily Wiseman in 1938 Bham OND ref 6d 185

Suzanne

Roger
I'm not an expert on these electoral rolls but I don't think they cover Smethwick? Someone may be able to confirm this for us hopefully:)

Hi Suzanne
You are quick of the mark.
The George Frederick who marrid Lily Wiseman was Gerge Fredericks son, there were 4 Frederick,Eric,Arthur,Albert John my father.
Roger

Hi Suzanne
You are probally correct as it is outside the B`ham boundry.
With regard to 101 Clark Street, I beleive that my maternal grandparents lived at this address prior to the Girlings. They were the Jenkins family who were still there on the 1911 census.
At some point they moved to 1 bk of 103 Clark street.
Could you please check both of these address`s so I can find out when the change took place.
This would solve another prblem for me.
Regards
Roger

Here you go:)
101 Clark Street
1912 - Evan Jenkins
1918 - Absent Voters - Harold Jenkins - 36081, Pte, ASC
1920 - Margaret & Harold Jenkins
1922 - Evan, Margaret & Harold Jenkins
1925 - Evan & Margaret Jenkins
1927 - Margaret Jenkins
1930 - Margaret Jenkins
Cannot find anything for 1939
1945 - 1 bk 103 Clark Street - Florence E Jenkins, Gwendolyn M Jenkins
1950 - as above
1955 - as above

regards
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne
You have been a fantastic help.
It has helped me to fill in many of the gaps.
If I keep diging away perhaps I may eventually fill them all, or am I being to optomistic.
Regards
Roger

Glad to have helped Roger. No you're not being too optimistic:) It may take weeks, it may take years but I am sure you will get there:)
I was quite envious of the army records for your grandfather - what a wealth of detail for you. No such luck with my GF I'm afraid - must have been one of the burned ones:)

Don't hesitate to ask for any more info.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne
From your last list I found that Harold Jenkins had been in the army, so I tried to find information on him, but like yourself had no luck, still at least I now know his service number and his regiment, anmd you never know something may turn up.
The records for my grandfather were a nice find as he had dissapeared to his new life before I was born and I had allways assumed he was dead until I found his death certificate amongst my parents things after there death.
All I have to do now is try to find information of his life between 1930 & 1965 his son KC Girling on the death certificate I hav trierd to find but have had no luck.
If you have any ideas I would like to here them.
Regards
Roger

Hi Roger
Is it definitely K C ?
I have had a look but can't find a relevant birth only a Barry C Girling MMN Smith and there is a George Girling and Ivy M Girling living at 26 Goode Street in 1939, 1950 & 1955. There is a marriage for a George Girling and Ivy M Smith in 1935 OND Bham but no mention of his middle name so probably not relevant.

Hi Suzanne,
The death certificate is actually typed out so there can be no mistake about the the name or address.
I have spoken to my cousen who remembers visiting him in Bearwood with her dad as a child.
She thinks her name was Maude and there were two other children, allthough they may have been hers previously.
I looked at the marriage which could fit allthough I would have thought that if they married at all it would have been not in B`ham.
Roger

Hi Suzanne,
I wonder if I could impose on help once more, still concerning the same family.
I think I mentioned that I was unable to find Mary Jane Ballinger in 1901 (Fredericks wifeto be, they married in 1909)
If I could establish for how long she was at the last address I have and how soon she arrived at the next address it would give me some idea as to where she was in 1901.
The 1891 census has her living with her mother Hannah Ballenger, Mary jane was then 9 yrs old. They were living with another family Ephraim & Mary Yates at 37 Mount Street,Nechells, B`ham.
Her father had left them and was in Lacashire in 1891, he died in 1894 and her mother died in 1892.
In 1911 she is living with her husband George Frederick Girling at 12 Bath Passage, Monument Road, Ladywood, B`ham, probally since there marriage in 1909.
So my question is where was Mary Jane Ballinger/Girling between 1891 & 1911
Roger

Hi Roger

I must admit, I have already been searching for the elusive Mary Jane but to no avail:) I will keep looking though but perhaps someone else might have a look also as a fresh pair of eyes may help.:)

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne
Could you possible look up another adress on the electoral roll please
In 1910 my grandparents Gwilym Jenkins & his wife Florence Emily Jenkins were living at 9 Rosebury Avenue,George Street west,All Saints,B`ham.
I know from your earlier findings that they were loiving at 1/103 Clark Street from 1937 on.
Could you tell me who was living at Rosebury Avenue before 1910 and who was there up to 1937, I am trying to find out when the Jenkins arrived and left this address.
Thanks Roger

Hi Roger

I can't seem to find anything for Rosebury Avenue on the electoral rolls and without specific names George Street West is very large:)

Suzanne

It seems to be Rosebery avenue. In 1912 (men only on list) it is just Gwilym Jenkins listed. In 1920 it is annie victoria Riley. In 1922 it is Robert Leonard & Hilda Compton. the search function on th esite doesn't seem to be picking the avenue up fully
Mike

Back