• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Slightly odd place to put your building number, high up on the gable is a sequence of street numbers for this business. This one is on Bradford Street. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 14
Viv
T. wilcox & co, gas fittings makers were listed in Kellys as at 99-101Bradford st up to 1890, but by 1892 were also at 102, so this is probably the approximate date of building

Corner of Oxford Street and Coventry Street. Not sure which pub is the current one; Old Wharf or O'Rourke's, but the Old Wharf sign was/is just still visible on Streetvuew, albeit with its paint crumbling away. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 13
Viv O'Rourkes is the current one!

August 2014

July 2014 - it was painted over

November 2012 as The Old Wharf

Thanks Ell. Pity, thought maybe the O'Rourke's sign was a separate sign fixed over the old one. Viv.

The old Typho Tea Factory on Bordesley Street (more recently S.Rose clothes - but factory now empty) still has signs of Typhoo Tea. There's a monogram on 4 small plaques on the building but what does the third 't' represent? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 39
Originally it was Typho tips tea, in that the best tea is made from the tips of the tea shoots.

Would never have worked that out Mike. Although, PG was (and still might be) PG Tips. Thanks. Viv.

Viv
Having checked with Kenneth Williams. (not that one) book on Typhoo, I must correc t myself. Appparently it was Typhoo Tipps (with 2-ps), and , although what I said about tea shoot tips is correct, the name Tipps was chosen for its alliterative properties (though probably sounded conveniently like "tips")

Thanks Mike. I like the alliteration, very catchy. It also says this on the Typhoo site

"Typhoo meaning, in part, the Chinese word for doctor. The double p in Tipps was originally a printing error but remained misspelt on the packets of tea for many years".

You certainly won't find this on Tesco's shelves either Jim! The ad's dated around 1900s. It has the double 'p' AND two apostrophes (or does that make it a speech mark?). Actually looking more closely at the packet drawn on the advert, " Typhoo Tipps" is in speech marks, while the advert itself only has one set at the end.

Viv. (And yes, I hear you all: "stop being so flippin' pedantic. It's only an old advert" !!!)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 25
This one looks like it's here to stay - that is unless the building's demolished. Surprised the letters haven't fallen off. It's Fellows, Morton and Clayton, Canal Carriers on Fazeley Street. The building is dated 1935. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 42
Was on the no 6 bus this morning on the Stratford Rd in Sparkhill, and noticed a "new" ghost sign that I've not seen before, next to Love Deserts.

At this location https://goo.gl/maps/jBRySqYbFQQ2
I think the billboard has been taken down, hence it being revealed.

Can't recall what it said though. I don't take photos in Sparkhill, so you will have to wait for Google street maps car to go past it again.
The sunlight was quite good on it this morning.

A peculiar quirk of Streetview. If you click on the side of the road farthest from the shop it shows the view in the last post, but if you click on the nearest side of the road to the shop you get a view of the shop with what I presume was the sign you saw saying Blossom Flowers. The camera car has obviously gone down the road one way on one date and the other way on a later date

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...6AVFjOhl08S0buyd0sOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Similarly, just along from there Sparkhill baths are open in the one view and closed and boarded up coming from the opposite direction.

From the bus this morning, all I could see was something like "... Butchers Quality Variety of Coventry". Couldn't see the name at the top of it.

but if you click on the nearest side of the road to the shop you get a view of the shop with what I presume was the sign you saw saying Blossom Flowers. The camera car has obviously gone down the road one way on one date and the other way on a later date

No it wasn't that. Was an old butchers painted ghost sign, previously hidden behind the billboard (not sure when it was taken down or why it was taken down).

Leonard Bagnall, a butcher , was listed here in Kellys in 1921 at no 645 ( the shop to the right of Love Deserts), and he is on the electoral roll for 1922, but not 1925. In 1915 it was another butcher, Frederick Spooner

I looked at it again from the bus this morning. The name I could see was "OD Wilson Butchers".

1959 phone book lists O R Wilson butcher at 1496 Stratford Road (no idea if that is relevant or not). There are also other addresses listed for O R Wilson butchers. In 1971 the Stratford Road address had gone and the other addresses were for O R Wilson and son. The firm is listed in 1937 Kelly's but not on Stratford Road.

Janice

This one is worth another show. Corner of Manor road and Witton road

Attachments

• manor rd.PNG
    manor rd.PNG
    560.1 KB · Views: 36
froth i pass that one quite often....i found another one today...will post it tomorrow

lyn

found this one yesterday..pretty sure i know what it says but what do you think..no 29 whitehouse st aston..if i am correct i think this company moved or had another place in erdington..

lyn

Attachments

• ghost sign whitehouse st aston 001.JPG
    ghost sign whitehouse st aston 001.JPG
    741 KB · Views: 43
  • ghost sign whitehouse st aston 002.JPG
    ghost sign whitehouse st aston 002.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 39
  • ghost sign whitehouse st aston 003.JPG
    ghost sign whitehouse st aston 003.JPG
    659.7 KB · Views: 38
morning viv and yes i believe it says aston chain and hook co ltd...i have a brass book mark made by them

lyn

Back