• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

The Pelican Works was an electro-plating factory built in 1868. The pelican is made of stone.

I also like this one, The Smithfield Garage of 1924 in Meriden Street.

View attachment 95462

Is that where they 'dipped' metal objects to looke like silver and the like? There is also ghost architecture as all the old Co-Op's here were built along the same design, so I can tell what used to be a Co-Op. The shape of the windows and at the back they had a large arched top goods entrance door with a glas fanlight. One of them has kept the Co-Op blue too. Like in Malvern, a school made into flats.Great post Viv. Nico

Last edited by a moderator:
Felt I had to post this here, it's from another thread dealing with the John Sergeant ITV programme "Barging Around Britain". The sign is at the Soho Foundry, Smethwick and has to be one of the most important signs in the history of industrialisation. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 21
I think that the firm was only named James Watt & Co until after the death of both James Watt & James Watt jnr

Yes you're right Mike. Boulton & Watt up until 1849, then James Watt & Co. Didn't know (until now having looked it up) that Avery took over and re-built (?) the Foundry in later years. Viv.

I noticed two on Dudley Road. One is Jones, upholsterer, number 244, and I think the other is Barratt. (Sorry I couldn't write it down at the time!)
They are the buildings between City Road and the entrance to Summerfield Park.
I expect Astonian will remember!!
rosie.

Rosie
Assuming this is the one you mean , then it seems to be Bennetts

ghost_signs_dudley_road.jpg

Here's an unusual one, obviously pre NHS, the house/hospital at 1 Lloyd Street Small Heath has now been demolished.

Attachments

• Small Heath Lloyd St  2.JPG
    Small Heath Lloyd St 2.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 28
Thank you Mike, that's the place!
I must have passed by hundreds of times but I don't remember what the shops looked like. Jones is listed in Kelly's for 1973/4 but not Bennett's.
rosie.

Francis Walter Bennett was a furniture dealer at 244 Dudley Road till at least 1950. 1955 & 1956 he is still there, but is listed as a private address, 1958 the building is not listed in Kellys, and by 1962 it is a furniture store under another name. It is listed in th electoral rolls under Bennett in 1957, but not in 1960

Thanks Rosie for posting the Jones and Bennett ghost signs. A lovely example. I've wondered whether existing signs should be covered up, restored and/or left to the elements. One for debate I suppose.

Thanks Phil for your Nursing Home sign. It shows a 'Vic' phone number. Wondering what exchange area in Small Heath that refers to? Viv.

Vivienne

I think the original VICtoria exchange in Watery Lane Small Heath moved to Sandy Lane for a while until they built a new exchange on almost the same spot in Watery Lane which serves as the Small Heath exchange today.

Thanks Phil. I like the sign, it's got useful info like 'Nurse Green'. I presume she ran the home. Wish I could read the other info that follows her name. Viv.

Hello Tracy, and welcome, I have been a signwriter for 62 years and still do a bit now and then, I only wish I'd have had a camera early in my career, I've done everything from house names,football grounds, fairgrounds,gypsy caravans,narrowboats,wall patches, road bridges,shop fascias,vehicles,pub signs, you name it I've done it.
Am loving your site, which I've only just found.

The house where I grew up in Dudley Road, Winson Green had "This is Davis's" painted on the front, I suppose that would be classed as a ghost sign. Sadly, the house has been demolished now but someone on the Winson Green in the '50's, 60's, 70's page on facebook has posted a photo of it on there

Good to see your page Tracey. Hope your research is going well, good luck with it. It surprises me how many are still around. Thanks for letting us know about your work. Viv,

Years ago walking past some shops near the Scott Arms I noticed this old sign which was on the side wall of a toy shop.
cycleshop.jpg

Why advertise Goodyear tyres on a rather obscured wall ? Well the shop was originally a cycle shop which I don't remember and the pic below shows the sign on the side wall. The building facing the sign is of a different design and was not built when the sign was painted.
Img_0650.jpg

These days Banks and Estate Agents have moved in to replace many old shops.
Capturez.JPG

I thought of this post on Sunday whilst we were in France as we passed a house with the ghost sign ESSO on the side.

Nice one Phil. Surprised it's still so colourful. It's not often you can say throwing up some modern building has served to protect a piece of history.

Think someone mentioned on here Nico that ghost signs in France are more common than here. Can't imagine why. Viv.

Where I was Viv there are lots of very old buildings although their mass destruction is imminent for the concrete blocks and glass boxes replacing them. But there are still lots of the old left yet. They have used an old clock on one gable end of a building and painted a picture round it to look 3 d. And a former Inn The Grenadier is still resplendant in his green battledress on the side of a chemist's shop. French chemists as you may know display a green cross and are often all green. When the original signs were painted on houses does anyone know if the householder was paid to have adverts on their property?

Thanks Nico. I think we should have more hand-painted signs around the place today. A great art. That's an interesting point about whether people were paid for the use of their wall space. Hope someone knows the answer. My guess is they got nowt for it! Viv.

The residents of Starley Rd Cov painted a mural on the gable end house - Starley Road - Save it - homes not offices, years ago. And they wone for once, now it reads we saved it. Or it did. Back on topic as I have strayed, I think they were better than hoardings and the lit signs and displays we have now.

Agree Nico. Doubt they'd survive the constant graffiti-ing today. Although I don't think Banksi's generally suffer graffiti - however, the removal of the whole wall is more likely, then sold off for millions! We need more Banksi's around our cities. Viv.

If they pulled one down it would be nice to have the bit with the sign on it. There might be a storerroom with the signs that are 3d as i objects like the pelican someone spoke of or a Michelin or the the giant stone Jaguar that stood on Walsgrave Rd Cov, all stacked away.
I know the council here keep their old Christmas Lights because I have seen them reappear years later. I hope they kept the frieze that was part of a big long fountain in the precinct on man and his impact on the environment. I hope they kept that.

Back