• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Horton of Bordesley Green

Tuppenny Rice

Tibbatts, Birch, Bennett, Jeffcott families
Years ago a relative moved into a house in Daniels Road, Bordesley Green. She found hidden a box belonging to a George Horton. I believe he was probably Scottish. Does anyone know any descendents?

Years ago a relative moved into a house in Daniels Road, Bordesley Green. She found hidden a box belonging to a George Horton. I believe he was probably Scottish. Does anyone know any descendents?
sounds interesting does your relative still have that box and was there anything in it

lyn

I have the box and it has his medals from the Boer War and WW1. When it was found there was no internet so it was impossible to trace him, now I've inherited it so doing some research.
hi tuppency rice oh my goodness i agree with you they need to be with georges living relatives if there are any..

this forum has helped trace quite a few living relatives in the past so that found items can be reunited with family and we are only too happy to help you...if you would like us to help let me know ? and we can get the ball rolling as we do have some very good researches amongst our members

if you would like our help you need to give us as much information as possible..ie full name ..service record number...and anything you may have written down on any papers that maybe in the box..also a photograph of the box and medals would be lovely to see..its such a shame that all too often we hear of family treasures being lost in time and not being with living descendants...well done for looking after them

lyn

Last edited:
Ooh I'm excited that people are interested! I will post a photo now and some more later today. I'd absolutely love to get these medals back to the family. They weren't discarded or sold, but hidden, so someone valued them a lot.
1000013952.jpg
1000013969.jpg

Last edited:
brilliant we will do all we can to help trace his family so that you can make contact with them and return the medals...it may take a bit of time and we may have no success but at least we can try and hope for a happy outcome...look forward to more photos when you have time...and watch this space :) also if there are any bits of paper or letters with names on that may indicate the names of georges family or his date of birth this could also prove useful because at the min we do not even know if he was born in birmingham

lyn

Last edited:
He is on the 1939 register at 32 Daniels Rd. This road is on the Ideal Village so he would have had a different address prior to 1910 date of build.
thanks tinpot the 39 reg gives us his date of birth as 28th march 1878...i have him with his wife and 2 young children on the 1911 census and he was born in birmingham occupation cycle trade which fits in with what he did during ww1..i also have his medal card and also his ww1 service records survived and are on ancestry...his children would not be alive now so we could search for any grandchildren

lyn

Last edited:
There doesn't appear to be any direct descendants. George and Fanny had 2 daughters - Edith May and Gladys Penelope.

Edith never married, died in 1987. Gladys married a Frederick Ireland and had a son and a daughter. The daughter died young and there is no obvious marriage for the son - Robert Anthony - and he died in 2001. He is last listed on the ERs at Parkdale Road.

In 1939 Gladys is listed at the Maternity Hospital, Wake Green Road, I assume giving birth to Robert.

oh dear mark not what we wanted to hear so maybe our next step is finding out if george had any siblings and if so come forward with them

lyn

Charles 1876
Emily 1881
William 1884

Sarah Jane 1886 - married George William Egginton, 3 sons,1 died young, 1 unmarried and a James Archie who married & had children. Wrong.

Clara Ann - married George Rowe, possibly emigrated to New Zealand and died in 1971

Henry 1891
Herbert 1893
Arthur 1895 - died young

Last edited:
thanks mark i have started going down the list of siblings to see if there are any family trees on ancestry...it seems there is one for william born 1884 but i need to take a good look at it to see where the tree holder fits into the family...

lyn

On 1891 census it states he was born in Ross Herefordshire. Other records seem to indicate Birmingham.
If he was then they moved soon after. I have just checked the rignal 1891 census and the transcript is wrong that belongs to the famiy above, He was born in Birmingham.
baptism 1882 at Holy Trinity
1710006162162.png

Last edited:
There were a couple of George Horton birth registrations in Aston that could have been his but with his father's name, he appears to be the son of Charles Horton and Clara Tarrant. If so he had 5 brothers (1 died young) and 3 sisters, including a Sarah Jane.

HORTON,
GEORGE
TARRANT
GRO Reference: 1878 J Quarter in ASTON Volume 06D Page 292 Occasional Copy: A

Henry possibly married an Eliza Bicknell and had a son and a daughter.

The daughter, Hilda Winifred, married a David Jones and in 1939 is listed on Parkdale Road, I assume the same road Robert Anthony Horton (above) was living before he died. Can't be certain of children with Jones.

The son, Harry Leonard, doesn't seem to marry.

William possibly marries a Gertrude Ferris (there's a record on Ancestry gives father's name as Charles) and had one daughter, also Gertrude, but not sure what happens to her.

posted same time mark...the tree holder i mentioned on post 19 is related to gertude ferris the wife of william b 1884 so not a blood relation...will move onto the next sibling now

lyn

The Sarah Jane who married George Eggngton appears to be the daughter of a James Horton according to the marriage cert. So we are still looking to see if "jane" married.

Thanks, will look again.

There are a number of Emily Horton birth registrations about the same time, my best guess would be she married a Walter Tarplin (on Ancestry listed as Hortin/Tarplee) and a had a son and a daughter.

Back