• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Harper born abt 1893

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
Trying to find any info on George Harper born abt 1893 can`t find anything about him.
His parents were George and Mary Ann Harper nee Fowler
I found a George on the 1911 census in the Royal Warwicks Regiment but don`t know if he is my George my Great uncle.Trouble is a lot of George Harpers around at that time.If anyone can help with any info would be very grateful.
Carolann

There is a baptism on familysearch for a George Henry Harper, son of George and Mary Ann...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NX66-6JC

There are two George Henry Harper's registered in 1892 , one in Aston and one in B'ham. The dates in the baptism match the one registered in B'ham. However the proximity of the other will make things difficult as will that of a George Horace Harper in the same year.

There are two deaths registered for George H Harpers of the right age, one in 1932 B'ham North and the other in 1965 B'ham.

On Findmypast there are service records listed for a George Henry Harper borm B'ham 1893. There should be information on them to tell you if he is the right one or not.

Thankyou for the info i have been on Find my Past but they are having Technical problems at the moment i will try later

further to MWS' post #2

On George’s marriage certificate dated 2nd Feb 1891 to Mary Ann Fowler (52 Musgrave Road), George's address is 7 Soho Road, his occupation is brass founder.

The baptism address given for their son George Henry in Aug 1892 is 2 Key Hill, father George's occupation is given as brass founder.

They had a daughter, Leah, born in July 1891 who unfortunately died and whose death was registered in Sept quarter 1891.

https://familysearch.org/search/rec...query=+surname:harper~ +batch_number:C01974-3

In 1901 the family were living in Talbot Street with their children George 8, John L aka Leonard 6, Beatrice 4, Amy 2, and Frank 2 months and 1911 in Lees St with children Leonard 15, Beatrice 14, Amy 12, Frank 10, Lucy 9, and Gertrude 5.

If the 1911 census is your George Harper’s father George and mother Mary Ann then they were married in 1891, have had 9 children, 6 still living who are on the census and 3 who have died, so perhaps the George you are searching for is dead by 1911, although I can’t find a definite death or burial for him.

Maybe this will help?
George Harry Harper born 8 Aug 1892 Baptism 21 Aug 1892 Hockley, All Saints,
Parents George Harper a brassfounder & Mary Ann Harper, abode 2 Key Hill

Clarkie

Hello Carolann. I've been compiling a Harper DNA tree for my brother-in-law, and your George and Mary Ann (Fowler) are on one of the branches. I just thought I'd add that MAF's nickname was Polly in a few docs. Also, you may have found it already - but in 1915 they had 2 daughter's baptised together on 18th March at St. Pauls.
My b-i-l has DNA matches to George, but many more to his father Joseph the carpenter b.1827.
Have you taken a DNA test, and is it on Ancestry?

My interest is Mary Ann Harper (nee Fowler) who married George Harper in 1891. What is strange is the bride's father occupation of Gun Finisher. To date the assumption has been that the bride was the daughter of John and Mary (nee Ash) and that he was a Groom/Gardener in 1881 and 1891, Bagsworth, that Mary Ann was certainly known in the family as Polly. I cannot yet trace Musgrave Road, home of the bride, in the 1891 census, so as to see who the other residents were.

Possibly you have the wrong Mary Ann Fowler. She appears to be the daughter of John Fowler and Ann Preston. Living in Goode St in 1881.

Bagsworth Mary Ann Fowler appears to marry John Madden in 1892.

John and Ann Fowler with daughter Isabel are living at 52 Musgrave Road in 1891. He is a Gun Furniture Maker.

Registered as Fowler/Madder Mar 1892 Market Bosworth. Incorrectly listed as Madden on familysearch.

Last edited:
May not be the same one, but in the 1892 Kellys (which probably refers to 1891) there is a John Fowler, gun furniture maker, whose place of business was court 5 Loveday St

But then the trail drys up

I'm not sure which Mary Ann Fowler you're interested in, I thought it was the one of Musgrave Road. Which was not the one who is the daughter of John Fowler and Mary Ash (see post #9) and would mean that the marriage to John Madder is irrelevant.

Mary's parents and sister were still at Musgrave Road on 1891 census.

Last edited:
Okay. The Mary Ann Fowler (MAF) that is of interest is the daughter of John Fowler and Mary Ash.
If the MAF who married George Harper in 1891 is the daughter of John and Ann Fowler of 52 Musgrave Road, which is the brides address on the church marriage record, then no that is the wrong MAF.
Our MAF of interest could well be the bride of John Madder in 1892 but the trail goes cold, with any certainty. We await a copy of the marriage certificate to see what his address was in 1891 census.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Ok, that's cleared it up.

In 1891 John Madder appears to be with his brother, Frederick, in Kirkby Muxloe/Glenfield. This brother emigrates to Canada, he is on the 1901 census.

Last edited:
Back