• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gec Magnet Landor Street

shadowrichards

proper brummie kid
I believe that GEC had a factory in Birmingham producing domestic appliances under the trade name Magnet. Does anyone know where this particular GEC factory was located? It was not the Witton site.

In 1927 the old works in Landor St , which had been occupied by the Midland Railway Carriage & Wagon works, was taken over by the General Electric Company as The Magnet Works., which manufactured domestic appliances and parts. It can be seen on the map below

map_c_1901A_showing_Midland_Works.jpg

I worked in the Domestic Appliance Dept at GEC Witton in 1957 When doing my 5 year apprentship Forman was Bill Turnock they made upright vac's & hair dryes.
I believe that GEC had a factory in Birmingham producing domestic appliances under the trade name Magnet. Does anyone know where this particular GEC factory was located? It was not the Witton site.

My uncle Fred Jenney worked at Landor Street after the second World war.Dad worked at Witton along with my cousin Derek.Dad worked on Airfield Becon's
during the war.
i joined GEC in EDO 1957 as an Apprentice

In 1957 GEC Witton had a domestic dept that made Hair Dryers & Vacuum cleaners Bill Turnock was the foreman if my memory is correct,worked there for 6 month's as part of my training as an EDO apprentice .

Hello

My Dad worked in the Process Planning Department of the GEC Witton with Bill Turnock. My Dad was Sid Smith. My mum Beattie Smith also worked there in the war in the Munitions Department and her sister, Gertrude Bewley (nee Wykes).
They often talked of the dances at the Magnet Club and ended up owning the Sweet and Tobacco Shop opposite Dr. Freshwater's house and Aston Parish Church when Mr. Warman was the Vicar.

My first job on leaving school July 1944 was in the drawing office at the GEC, had to leave 12 months later because of eye strain (it was the day after VE day) ! Remember the Magnet club, believe it had steps down to a large lawn Eric

Pic only info GEC Sports, Jack third from the right in stripes, know to the familyJack 3rd from right in stripes GEC sports.jpg

View attachment 95204GEC Magnet works Landor Street undated
I served my apprenticeship in the development department between 1955 and 1960 at Landor Street GEC. This factory made domestic appliances, and even kitchen galleys for aircraft. I have memories of 12 enormous chandlers erected in the works canteen prior to shipping to the middle east. I have some photos If anyone is interested and many memories.

I served my apprenticeship in the development department between 1955 and 1960 at Landor Street GEC. This factory made domestic appliances, and even kitchen galleys for aircraft. I have memories of 12 enormous chandlers erected in the works canteen prior to shipping to the middle east. I have some photos If anyone is interested and many memories.

Photos and memoriees are always most welcome here

Back