• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gas House Tavern 330 Windsor Street Birmingham

josielowe

proper brummie kid
Hello
I'm researching a paternal relative George LOWE B1819 - 1900 who ran the Gas House Tavern 330 Lower Windsor Street, I think on the corner of Richard Street from 1875 until 1894.(Whites 1875 Directory, 1881, 1891 Census)
Does anyone have anu further information about the pub or map and hopefully a photo. I'm not sure how long it survived after that date. I have a newspaper report of his daughter Harriet LOWE B1858 falling down the stairs there after an epileptic episode and dying a few days later in April 1894.
Many thanks
Joanne

Here's a newspaper report of George's bankruptcy in 1894. What a terribly sad and distressing year 1894 must have been for him and his family.
Screenshot_20240117_155522_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Oh thanks for that Viv.Yes what an awful year. He died in 1900 I suspect a sad man, His son Charles Lowe as mentioned was in prison in the 1901 Census so not sure if it was for this or something else. I am a member of Find My Past and searched on their Newspaper section but coudnt find this. Did you get access to this article on Find My Past? I dont suppost any images exist of the pub? Thank you for finding this.

Josie, the article is from the British Newspaper Archive- its a subscription site. If there's something more specific you'd like me to look up, just let me know.

Last edited:
Josbni is owned by Find your past. so I would have thought it would be on it, but e, the article is from the British Newspaper Archive- its a subscription site. If there's something more specific youyour Past

Oh Viv is it different to the Newspaper section on Find My Past?
The BNA is owned by find Your Past, and would have thought bit would have been found there, but on many occasions, people have not been able to find things there when are on BNA. Perhaps the search function id not as good

The actual address is a little peculiar. George Lowe is listed in directories ( note date of directory is publication date and is likely to refer to year , or in early directories more than one year, before) as at 330 Windsor St from 1878 till 1892. Upper and lower Windsor streets were combined between the 1878 and 1879 directories. Previously in the 1876 -1878 directories he is listed as at 102 Upper Windsor St. In the 1873 directory bJames Heaton is listed as at the beerhouse at 102. In 1873 a George Lowe is a beer retailer and coal dealer at 61 Bartholemew St. I would think this is likely to be the same man (as a different man has the same occupations at 61 in 1876). In 1867-1872 he is at no 61, but just described as a beer retailer.

Just out of interest, the British Museuem has a brass token for the Gas House Tavern made at Upper Windsor Street (102) - is the '102' an item number or an address number ? Strange (or coincidence ?) that it's the same number as the directory listing in Mike's post above.

Screenshot_20240117_161735_Chrome.jpg

The actual address is a little peculiar. George Lowe is listed in directories ( note date of directory is publication date and is likely to refer to year , or in early directories more than one year, before) as at 330 Windsor St from 1878 till 1892. Upper and lower Windsor streets were combined between the 1878 and 1879 directories. Previously in the 1876 -1878 directories he is listed as at 102 Upper Windsor St. In the 1873 directory bJames Heaton is listed as at the beerhouse at 102. In 1873 a George Lowe is a beer retailer and coal dealer at 61 Bartholemew St. I would think this is likely to be the same man (as a different man has the same occupations at 61 in 1876). In 1867-1872 he is at no 61, but just described as a beer retailer.
I have found a newspaper article dated 1870. There may a possibility that number 102 was part of thisl letting? Or as it was onthe corner of Richard Street perhaps the numbering sysytem came firm there? George Lowe mentioned ar 61 Bartholomew Street is very much the same man: 61 Bartholomew Street was the Waggon and Horses pub which I think was still in existance in 1943. It would be lovely to try and find a photo. I agree with your previous remark regarding the search option for FMP Newspapers - it doesnt seem as good as it used to be and I'm failing to find previous artices I found. Again thanks so much for your helpful comments.1705575306004.jpeg

Just out of interest, the British Museuem has a brass token for the Gas House Tavern made at Upper Windsor Street (102) - is the '102' an item number or an address number ? Strange (or coincidence ?) that it's the same number as the directory listing in Mike's post above.

View attachment 188189
I think this is very interesting because as a family they were traditionally Brassfounders and thimblemakers. I wonder if 102 was the 'workshop' foundary that made the token? It would be interesting to see this. Thanks again

Sounds very likely Josie! Later I shall see if I can find an image of the token. I'd be interested to see it too.

Last edited:
Back