• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Garrison Street

Garrison Street is visible on this photo...

...it's the road running diagonally bottom right upwards. 109 would have been in the first triangular block, two thirds of the way up.
Wow, thank you! Really appreciate it, like I said we don’t know too much and finding it hard to find much about our family. Thanks again.

If you want help or tips on family/ancestry it might be best to start a new thread.

There are lots of nice people on here that might be able help.

Hello,
I’m trying to find out more of my family tree, found out a bit but we have found an address, so trying to find more information on it, 109 garrison street, my family are from a German back ground and lived there around 1939, can’t find anything online not even pictures of the house. So any information would be helpful!
Thanks
could you give us the names of your family as we cant really help much without a bit more info

lyn

Last edited:
Was there another son?
Richard Edwin b 1902
In 1922 George and Edwin are on the e roll at 16 Argyle Street
Possibly 2 daughters as well?
Louisa Catherine b 1899
Florence May b 1900
All births registered with mmn Straw

Was there another son?
Richard Edwin b 1902
In 1922 George and Edwin are on the e roll at 16 Argyle Street
Possibly 2 daughters as well?
Louisa Catherine b 1899
Florence May b 1900
All births registered with mmn Straw
I believe there was a Richard but I’m not too sure about daughters, not seen anything, I know George had daughters, this is all amazing thank you! Really appreciate it!

Apart from the ones mentioned the were 2 other sons and 5 more daughters.

William Bertie, John Henry, Evelyn Gladys, Kate Elizabeth, Lydia Winifred, Bessie & Mildred Rose.

Emma Straw's parents were German also.

Apart from the ones mentioned the were 2 other sons and 5 more daughters.

William Bertie, John Henry, Evelyn Gladys, Kate Elizabeth, Lydia Winifred, Bessie & Mildred Rose.

Emma Straw's parents were German also.
Wow! Thank you! We knew Emma’s parents were German too, but we didn’t know about the other children! Thank you so much!

Hello,
I’m trying to find out more of my family tree, found out a bit but we have found an address, so trying to find more information on it, 109 garrison street, my family are from a German back ground and lived there around 1939, can’t find anything online not even pictures of the house. So any information would be helpful!
Thanks

Akennedy
If you search thread Neighbours Garrison Street you will find quite a lot of information on Garrison Street.
I was born at No 38 on the front of the street and I now have heard that there may have been a German Family living at 1 Bk 38 Garrison street. My research goes back to 1930. I was born July 1931.
I have vivid memories of life there. As a child running around the large Courtyard making lots of noise.
I have been trying to reply to a Sonj whose family were German and apparently lived at 1 Bk 38.
My mother worked at Wrights ropeworks as a spinner.
Hope we can make contact.
Les Green
p.s. maybe Astoness can help. She is very good

and here he is on the 1939 eve of war register...down as married but no wife with him but living with others... living at 258 hall road (not sure what area this is in )...his date of birth matches the info provided by jan on post 38

ludwig 39 eve of war reg.jpg

Last edited:
Akennedy
If you search thread Neighbours Garrison Street you will find quite a lot of information on Garrison Street.
I was born at No 38 on the front of the street and I now have heard that there may have been a German Family living at 1 Bk 38 Garrison street. My research goes back to 1930. I was born July 1931.
I have vivid memories of life there. As a child running around the large Courtyard making lots of noise.
I have been trying to reply to a Sonj whose family were German and apparently lived at 1 Bk 38.
My mother worked at Wrights ropeworks as a spinner.
Hope we can make contact.
Les Green
p.s. maybe Astoness can help. She is very good
Okay thank you!

My husbands great grandfather Benjamin H Butler b Hampton in Arden, lived with his widowed mother at Garrison Farm,Garrison Street, in 1881,the next entry to them was the Queens Head.

on the 39 eve of war register wife emma is living at 109 garrison st with herbert and bessie foster ..one name is blanked out

tna_r39_5541_5541h_016.jpg

It looks as if Bessie had a daughter Cynthia born in 1936 so I imagine she is the blanked out name.
Emma is listed with Bessie and Herbert on the 1945, 1950 and 1955 e rolls at 65 Pype Hayes Road.

Hi everyone
Can someone help with a thorny problem, relating to house numbering in 1930 for Garrison St Bordesley Green.
My parents lived at No.38. But am unable to identify which end of the street this was and which side of the street.
Thanks
Lesg128
Good morning I lived at 369 gassison Lane with my mum dad and siblings from 1967 until 1970 I remember the coalbut family Kathy lesley and Richard there was. The pub George next to the football ground its the royal George now all done up. I remember there was a biscuit factory and the brick factory wincliff school the park at the bottom of garrison lane the garrison pub we would jump. On the open back buses that brought the football. Players to the grounds no big money for them. In those days

Back