• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Freebies

aha, i see Tom has found his way here already

OM, no i don't use it myself but i am interested, the daughters fella was telling me that when he has to do work at uni's etc he finds that the students and professors prefer using this as it is more secure. He is a complete puter nut but working away all the time does not at the moment get much time to do/try what he wants. I must say, at 14Gb it is light, i like that

bren

Hi Bren,
They say its more secure than Windows but is it?
Do you run it?
oldmohawk

I have tried several flavours of Linux, including Ubuntu and Kubuntu back when everything was done through the command line or bash shell. The latest distro’s (what the Linux folk call distributions of the latest version.) The latest versions are much more user friendly and have a very windows-like interface. There is still a learning curve which is what puts most people off. I’d be using Linux now if my university course didn’t require me to have windows and associated applications.

Now as to security. One of the things that made Linux secure was the need to enter admins user name and password to install software through the command line and/or bash shell. Malicious software couldn’t run because it required this input. Now that it is more windows-like and software can be installed without this requirement removes much of this security. The other thing that makes it more secure is its low usage. Hackers and virus writers don’t usually bother because few individuals and even fewer businesses use it. It just isn’t worth it. As Linux gains in popularity, so there will be an increase in interest from such people. Back in the day, anti-virus and firewalls were unnecessary (this was also a major benefit in its efficiency- with no resource-hogging protective software running in the background more system resources were available to the operating system). Now it is advisable to have such applications installed.

Linux is still more secure and more efficient than bloat-filled windows. There are distro’s that can be run from a USB stick (pendrivelinux). If you have never used a computer before, try Linux before windows. The learning curve is similar, and there won’t be the temptation to go back to windows because you’ve never been there! And most distro’s are free! (More accurately open source. There are still terms of use, but you don’t have to pay.)

I hope you find this information useful.

I am not affiliated with Linux, and will gain no benefit from my post besides knowing I may have helped out a little.

Hi, OH and Paul,
I'm posting this using Ubuntu Linux 9.04 and they call it Jaunty-Jackalope ! It seems to use about 11Gb of my disk. For general internet use, everything looks the same. The FF browser came with it, I already use that with Windows. We used ProEngineer CAD at work and it was initially Unix based so I had some idea what Linux would be like. The wireless connection was easy and the interface seems better than Windows. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't like 'playing' with computers, although for internet browsing it's easy to use. Installing Avast needed much use of 'packages' and 'super-users' and passwords, and installing VLC for looking at DVD's etc was a learning curve. I need a Firewall and have seen one call 'Firestarter' but haven't got it installed yet.
I'm too old to 'mess' with motorbikes so I 'mess' with computers.:)
cheers
oldmohawk

Sharon:

Have you visited Cyndi's List yet at https://www.cyndislist.com/ ???

Most of the genealogy sites there are free, and whilst you might find a few dead links, it must be an enormous job to keep it continually up to date.

Maurice

Hi, OH and Paul,
I'm posting this using Ubuntu Linux 9.04 and they call it Jaunty-Jackalope !
oldmohawk

Hi, mohawk. They have some wondefrful names, don't they?

I’ve used Kubuntu as a dual boot with XP. It is the same as Ubuntu except it uses the KDE window manager instead of the Gnome interface. Discussing the pros and cons is a bit like discussing Mac v PC- it ends up a war of words, with contributors polarising and it can sometimes get nasty. I don’t suggest that would happen here, but I still aren’t going there! It’s a bit like tastes in other areas- you like what you like and what others like shouldn’t concern you is my philosophy on such matters.

When I used a broadband modem, I had great difficulty getting a connection and needed a specially written script to do so. Now I have a router, Kubuntu connected straight away only needing my login details. This may have been because I used the latest version (8.04- Hardy Heron I think they called it) at the time. I did this running from the DVD with a live boot. I suspect many of the bugs that put people off have been ironed out. But you are correct. It is a more hands on experience than windows. You really should be prepared to ‘look under the hood’ so to speak. But it will do basic tasks like browsing and email.

And for those worried about installing and trying it download it, burn to a DVD and run it from the DVD. If you don’t like it, you’ve got a novel coaster! To do this you may have to set up your PC to boot from the optical drive and this sometimes means accessing and changing the BIOS. However, most modern PC’s now have a key, usually one of the ‘F’ keys you press repeatedly at boot to choose your boot option without going into the BIOS. This is often ‘F11’ but varies by manufacturer. Look at the bottom of the screen as the PC boots and there should be options such as ‘F8’ to choose safe mode and other boot options and ‘F2’ to enter setup (BIOS) with another option to enter the boot menu if it is available. You then choose ‘boot from CD or DVD’ and restart and it will do just that, providing you have a CD/DVD in your drive with an operating system on it that has this function. Nothing else needs changing, as the next boot will revert to booting from the hard drive without any input.

Hi, Paul,
I'm posting this with Windows at the moment. I downloaded my Linux from a link on the Sheffield Forum and was surprised that it took a minute to download but an hour plus to install. When I start my laptop, I just get the option Ubuntu or Windows. As you say it is more 'hands-on' but Firefox looks just like it does in Windows apart from the colour!;)
oldmohawk

An hour plus to install? Sounds like a long time. Even windows isn't that bad! It has been a while since I installed Kubuntu, so I can't remember how long it took. I just remember wishing I had the time to stick with it because it had a definate speed advantage over windows.

An hour plus to install?
It told me to 'go and make a pot of coffee' so it seemed to expect a long installation, but once in it is very fast. I've just easily installed 'Firestarter' but at first look it doesn't seem to like wireless connections.

It told me to 'go and make a pot of coffee'

Now you mention it I remember a similar message. But the beautiful thing about it is you don’t have to sit with it entering options and keys, there is no activation and no annoying WGA that sometimes has difficulty knowing whether your windows is genuine or pirated.

I've got Firestarter running. FF NoScript is working, Adblock is next. It's speed is very impressive. The more I see of it the more I like it. I shall keep it.:)

I have had to uninstall firefox ( including my personal settings ) and then reinstall. I used to have an add on which compressed the bookmark tool bar into buttons. I cant find this now. Any suggestions as to what or where please

Thanks Tom. Its not still there and I cant find it in any of the lists.

Mike it may still be in the backup files... have you tried a system restore ?:)ie before the problem? I dont use Firefox its on Maggies PC she swears by it come to think of it she swears a lot lol:D

I've had a new computer and can't find Screen capture programme help please:)

Alf
I take it your new computer has Vista. If so, then put "snipping tool" into the search box and it will find it. You should then be able to put it on the toolbar or whatever. Its better than the screen capture on the old machines as you can save whatever portion you want, and not just the whole screen
mike

Hi,Patty, You are lucky if you think you will able to join in, I havent got the
faintest idea what they are talking about. All my pictures are on Picasa3
and I dont seem to be able to send them anywhere! Needless to say I
am a complete novice and begining to think this compuiter lark is a youngmans
thing I am lost,really and truely lost cheers Bernard

No way Bernard I'm no Spring Chicken, don't forget it might take a bit longer but you can do it, I use Picasa 3 and post photos to the Forum:)

Send me a IM and I'll see if I can help

Last edited:
Thanks for that Mike, I have Vista and I have found it:)

Alf, if the native vista screen capture does what you want, great but there is a free application Screen2Exe that captures video and sound if you want the bells and whistles. It also does stills of the screen and allows editing. I love it. there's a free and paid version. The main benefit of the paid version is more formats to save in. And don't forget alt+PrtSc will take a snap of the active window while PrtSc will take a snap of the whole screen, saving it to the clipboard. Paste into Word or your favourite graphics software. Hope this helps.

And thanks to mikejee. I didn't know about the snipping tool. Handy if you want a quick snap that isn't a full screen or window.

Last edited:
I have been using Spotify for a couple of months, and have so far not had a problem. and us it regulary for parties as i add music for all ages and it stops the moaning who's turn to choose the music. I just plug the speakers in and away we go. It was recommended on a Sunday morning computer program i was watching .:)

Whenever I find a freebie I whizz through this thread and always find someone has found it before me. No flies on you lot.

I have seen that one or two members are suspicious of freeware which thankfully is part of life in the world of computers.Kind people produce free just about any program that big business charge you an arm and a leg and four fingers for. Just use a reputable free download site, no need to worry about nasties.

My favourites are FileHippo.com ,MajorGeeks.com, C.NetDownloads.com, Computeractive.com

With quality,guaranteed clean programs from these sites there is no need to use risky torrent sites.

Anyone care to recommend any others?

Back