• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Freebies

Revo Uninstaller- goes way beyond the windows and application uninstallers, removing leftover registry entries and files that can give problems.
Screen2exe- video capture - real time recording of what you are doing onscreen with sound recording if needed.
Stellarium – free opensource planetarium
Heidi Eraser – erases files beyond recovery. Can also erase free space so that those ‘deleted’ files cannot be recovered.

Whenever I need to do something on my PC i always look at the free options first!

I've been using Revo for quite a while now but only recently found some other useful utilities under its Tools... Great bit of kit!
thumbsup4kk.gif

I've been using Revo for quite a while now but only recently found some other useful utilities under its Tools... Great bit of kit!
thumbsup4kk.gif

It is that, Oisin. I knew that applications were prone to leave behind registry entries and files but was amazed at the number of things some applications left when I first ran an advanced scan. I have had some leave behind hundreds of registry entries. I know this is put down to poor programming, but with so many I do (being naturally paranoid!) wonder what some of these ‘dormant’ files might be doing.
In keeping with the thread, so we don’t go off on too much of a tangent two more freebies that give you a lot of system information, if you are technically minded and want to know!

Cpuz
And
PC Wizard

One day I will be able to add to this conversation LOL

Of course you will, Patty. 10 years ago I was as green as cabbage when it came to computing. My circumstances then were such that I didn’t believe I would ever own a computer due to the cost so what was the point? Then I discovered that building them was much cheaper and set to learning all I could and I haven’t stopped since! But I do love it, and the help I can offer the less experienced.
This year I’ve decided to formalise it and am taking an HNC in Information Technology with Staffs University.
And for Oisin, yes I know about Belarc and Cute PDF writer. I assume you know about FOXIT READER, a free and lightweight PDF reader. Much quicker to load than Adobe’s monster and does the same stuff- at least I haven’t found anything I can’t do without Adobe. There is also COOL PDF touted as the worlds lightest PDF reader (I haven’t tried it myself. I’m happy with Foxit) with the ability to convert to various other formats such as word, notebook etc.

[FONT=&quot]Here’s a goody-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“SkyDrive:[/FONT] This free Microsoft service (registration required) lets you store up to 25GB of files and access them from any Internet-connected computer. You can also share the files. What's the catch? There isn't one.”

Quoted from Sync Files on Multiple PCs, and 13 Other Free Ways to Get Down to Business

I’ve had a quick look and there is no sign-up if you already have hotmail email.
As a free service I suggest not storing sensitive information or anything you either can afford to lose or have not backed up somewhere else. Often free services in their Terms and Conditions (I know we should read them, but who does?) reserves the right to terminate without notice and does not accept responsibility for data loss or third party misuse. So beware! But on the point of Terms and conditions, another freebie I use is EULAlizer. Automatically analyses EULA’s (End-User License Agreement) for suspicious terms and also allows user defined combinations of words.

Yes Paul, I've been using Foxit for ages (think I've recommended it on these boards before now) and, like you, have not come across anything it can't handle.

Now I've gotta rack me brains to think of summat else I can post.
sm-nachdenk.gif

I have just bought the new Computer Active magazine and the front cover proclaims 50 free programs to download. My mrs is immersed in it and so I cannot give a quick revue.
That magazine is one I buy on an irregular basis because it is written for the ordinary/low tech user of the computer.Yes, even I can understand it.

What about Autopatcher for finding all the updates and patches you need after a reinstall?

The only drawback I can see is its 200+mb size, which might make it an impractical download for those on dial-up but once installed it can be copied and run from a CD, DVD or flash memory stick on any computer with the same operating system to that of the host.

A new music programme that I am listening to now www.spotify.com its good and fast. Though you do have to download and register but I'm quite impressed. Example, if you like Cliff Richard there are 2060 songs of his, Elvis nearly 5000 songs. Frank Sinatra 3700. Nat King Cole 2675.

Terry

Fantastic, hanco. Probably the best freebie so far that I didn't already know about. I'm doing a check for spyware/virus etc (suspicious about anything free!) but all seems legit. So far its found every song/artist I've searched! (and I like some rare stuff!)

I'll post back with details if I find anything worrying.

Addition- you do have to listen to some ads (nothing is really free though, is it?) They don't play over the songs (at least not yet) and don't seem to be too intrusive.Only had one after listening to about 12 songs but there is a paid version which I assume doesn't have the ads.

Still a fantastic freebie. I mean, listen to the radio and you have ads and DJ's talking over everything.

Last edited:
Glad you like it Paul, I only found out about it today. I did'nt realise about the adverts but they are no problems at all, I've hardly noticed to be honest. Just listening to Johnny Cash at the moment. Great stuff.
Terry

... and here's a program for receiving streamed TV on your PC. I've been using it for months now and while it can fade from time to time in general I reckon it's a really good service considering it's free. https://zattoo.com/

(Following on from what Paul suggests, remember to scan every downloaded .exe file for malware, free or paid for, before installing. This can usually be done through the right click menu of your mouse.)

Glad you like it Paul, I only found out about it today. I did'nt realise about the adverts but they are no problems at all, I've hardly noticed to be honest. Just listening to Johnny Cash at the moment. Great stuff.
Terry

Yes, I hardly noticed the ads. I would guess most folk listening to it as background music wouldn't notice them at all. I hardly noticed and I was not doing anything else besides checking it out. And I was Listening to The Man in Black aswell!

Terry thanks now how do I get my lads off it:)

I was listening to Frank Sinatra and my 19 year old said I tried to get it months ago. Then he asked if he could look something up.
I got back on 1 hour later.

Its great just dragged myself away:D

Revo Uninstaller- goes way beyond the windows and application uninstallers, removing leftover registry entries and files that can give problems.
Screen2exe- video capture - real time recording of what you are doing onscreen with sound recording if needed.
Stellarium – free opensource planetarium
Heidi Eraser – erases files beyond recovery. Can also erase free space so that those ‘deleted’ files cannot be recovered.

Whenever I need to do something on my PC i always look at the free options first!
Thanks for the link Paul I've been trying to get rid of the remnants of AOL but couldn't get rid of it, but revo got rid of it, so thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for that website terry ( Spotify ) I was hooked on it last night, just enjoyed searching for tunes. Great site.
Thaks mike

Cfont Pro 3.7

Manage the fonts on your computer

https://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2142304/cfont-pro

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Adblock Plus 1.0.2

Avoid the annoyance of online adverts

https://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/downloads/2194336/adblock-firefox-addon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vista Start Menu 3.15

Much improved program Start menu

https://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/downloads/2213828/vista-start-menu

could we get aThread going for Family history sites that are free too..

newcomers would welcome the freesites as they start out, but obviously NONE would be as good as this one!!!!!

Sharon put on the Forum what you are looking for and Folk will advise you:)

Hi Bren,
I did mention in another thread here
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21440&page=6
that I had done this. If anyone has about 14Gb spare on disk and likes playing with 'puters it's fun, but it can be a bit mystifying! When the 'puter starts there is the choice of either Windows or Linux. I can see all my photos, iPlayer, videos, docs, and USB sticks work ok. Wireless network is ok and the pages on the internet look just the same. They say its more secure than Windows but is it? I've got Avast running in it but haven't managed to install a firewall yet. It can easily be uninstalled. Do you run it?
oldmohawk
:)

O M I am just having a laugh to meself as I sent Bren An IM and he replied saying he hadnt tried it and suggested you:) was just in processing IM to you lol

Back