• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frank Mitchell & Celebrity status in general

G

glaciermint

A friend of mine tells the tale of being on the bus with George Cummings (Villa) on the way to a Villa home game in which Cummings was playing! That was in the days where in abode and earnings players weren't a million miles away from the working man.

Here is another example of humility from a leading sportsman of the day in the letter written my mother in 1948. I believe she fancied him like mad!

Frank Mitchell also played cricket for Warwickshire and in later life was in charge of the Kynock sports ground. He lived in Lapworth where he died in 1984.

Bob

Thanks for that fascinating insight into how professional sportsmen were perceived years ago, Bob.
An uncle of mine turned down the chance to play professionally for West Bromwich Albion in the 30s as he could earn more money working in a factory, and far more at the butcher's shop where he actually went to!

Hi Bob, I remember Frank Mitchell with Arthur Turner & Fred Harris a super halfback line up, brought together by manager Harry Storer, Frank took the penalties stroking the ball with side of his boot very relaxed, no hammer it in by Frank!!!, i don`t think he missed many. Len.

Bob, Franks career record. Len. Mitchell Frank WH 46-49 (Coventry Ciiy-Am) Chelsea 93 6

Last edited:
Back